join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

[ML] Thunderbolt display won't turn on after sleep

Odd quirk this morning. For the life of me I couldn't get my T-Bolt display to come up. I remote logged into the Mini and rebooted, nothing. Plugged it into my MBA and it wasn't detected. I unplugged the power and plugged it back in and nada. I then unplugged it and left it unplugged for about 15 minutes and it came back up.

While warm and humid, the office is A/C so it isn't heat and the machine sleeps at night.

Anyone else have an issue with their T-Bolts not firing back up from sleep?

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21

I guess it was too hard for them to put a power button on em, eh?

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast
reply to skeechan

I don't have a TB ... Yet. Now you know why that was Open Box at Best Buy. Probably returned for the same behavior but when the Geek Squad check it out by just plugging it in it worked fine, back on the shelf it went. That's my theory.
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit

True. I'll see if it happens again. I have I think 14 days (I'll double check) and at worst there are no less than 3 or 4 Apple Stores really close to me if it ends up not happening again until I'm outside Best Buy's return policy.

In talking with one of my employees, he mentioned it looks like the power went out but only for an instant. Some of my CNCs had been fully restarted while some weren't and that only happens if there is a deep brown out type thing. My mini isn't on a UPS, maybe that is an option.

in looking at the Apple support forum I found only a few threads about similar issues and in a couple of those, exchanging the monitor DIDN'T fix it for them, like it may be some rare sleep bug in Mountain Lion that happens with a certain combo of installed HW/SW.

Troubleshooting from Apple support includes unplugging it for a short while and plugging it back in, which got mine back up.

I've also been having lots of other problems with this Mini like the not being able to type text in certain fields, quicklook spontaneously quitting and other stuff. These issues started after installing Boxcryptor but I can't find anyone else with the same problem, boxcryptor or no boxcryptor.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
reply to HiVolt

LOL, I was looking for it figuring I had just eaten a few too many Crayons this morning. First panel without a power button.

Daemon
Premium
join:2003-06-29
Berkeley, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·webpass.net
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to skeechan

According to an Apple store employee, apple power transformers will disable themselves after a power surge and require a reset, which involves disconnecting them on both ends, waiting up to an hour, then plugging them back in.

I was having difficulties with my MBA charger not sending any juice to the computer, requiring me to unplug it from the wall for a while before plugging it back in. Apparently the behavior is by design.
--
-Ryan
I use Linux, OS X, iOS and Windows. Let the OS wars die.

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
reply to skeechan

10.8.1 is out today, might try it and see if it fixes your problem.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
reply to Daemon

That would explain it. I should buy a UPS anyway.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
kudos:1

I was looking over at the Apple help forums and this seems to be a problem others are having as well.
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

1 edit

It's been a few more days and I haven't had the problem since. Hopefully it'll stay that way. I picked up AC for it from Amazon so even if something happens long down the road, off the the busty Emo chick at the local AS I go.

russotto

join:2000-10-05
West Orange, NJ
reply to Daemon

said by Daemon:

According to an Apple store employee, apple power transformers will disable themselves after a power surge and require a reset, which involves disconnecting them on both ends, waiting up to an hour, then plugging them back in.

An hour? That's ridiculous. Usually 15 seconds is enough for protection like that. Apple suggests 60 seconds, not 60 minutes.

»support.apple.com/kb/TS1713