uniqs
share rss forum feed

lefrenchy

join:2012-08-23
North York, ON

1 edit

[Internet] Internet keeps droppping. Bell says no issues with li

Bell Service: Fibe 50.

We decided to make the switch from Rogers to Bell about 4 months ago since we moved into an MTU dwelling building and we can sign up to anything without contract. I found this to be very good at the time...

For about 2 months we used Fibe 15 and had no problems what so ever. The issues started when we moved over to Fibe 50 with a new modem. If I download over 50% of the speed our internet just dies... The light is still blue, my computer still thinks we are connect but I cannot do anything, no browsing, no downloading, no streaming until we reboot the modem.

EDIT: I've tried on our laptop, Ipad, Iphone, Ipod & Playbook and nothing works once the modem or line hangs. So it's not an issue with my desktop computer.

After a week of rebooting my modem about 30 times, I got fed up and started calling Bell tech # while the issue is being experienced. Each time they provided me with the same answer "You're line looks perfectly fine and we don't see anything odd on our end" I've asked them countless times if the modem could be the issue and they always answer "We don't see any issues with you're line" I mean, are these kids robots or reading from a script?

I'm hoping somebody can point me in the right direction as to what I need to say or do. If I cannot get this fixed, we are moving back to Rogers with all our services.

Any help would be great

BliZZardX
Premium
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON

Re: [Internet] Internet keeps droppping. Bell says no issues wit

Can you take a picture of your modem?

lefrenchy

North York, ON
I will when I get home. Currently at work. It's a black modem but I forget the model and company name. Could it be sagecom?

kovy7

join:2009-03-26
kudos:8
reply to lefrenchy
Do you have another router with it?

lefrenchy

North York, ON
I have my own router that we aren't using right now. Currently we are using the modem / router combo we got from Bell.

kovy7

said by lefrenchy:

I have my own router that we aren't using right now. Currently we are using the modem / router combo we got from Bell.

If you have Fibe50... then you must be on FTTH which has a Alcaltel ONT and a Sagemcom router.

lefrenchy

North York, ON
I'm fairly positive I have a sagecom modem / router. I remember seeing the logo on the box it came with. The other one doesn't ring a bell at all.

Glen1
These Are The Good Ol' Days.
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
GTA Canada
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
reply to lefrenchy
The Alcatel ONT is the optical network termination...that is what he was mentioning. I think he is going to ask you to place the Sagemcom in "factory default" and let your router do the authentication...thereby using the Sagemcom in "bridge" mode. That might help the loss of data movement.
--
My Canada includes Quebec.
Disclaimer: If I express an opinion, it is my own opinion, not that of Bell or its related companies.

ande8150

join:2012-04-15
North York, ON
reply to lefrenchy
Interesting that I came on here to look for a solution to the same problem. I am in North York with a Sagecom on Fibe 25. Often when I am doing something with high bandwidth (streaming video, uploading many high def pictures, etc.,) my whole connection drops and I need to reboot the modem to get anything back. All the lights on the modem stay the same even though the connection has dropped.

Not trying to hijack this thread, just sharing that I seem to have the same issues. The only time I have called Bell I still had an external router installed so of course they blamed that. I have since removed it and am still experiencing the same issue.

kovy7

1 edit
said by ande8150:

Interesting that I came on here to look for a solution to the same problem. I am in North York with a Sagecom on Fibe 25. Often when I am doing something with high bandwidth (streaming video, uploading many high def pictures, etc.,) my whole connection drops and I need to reboot the modem to get anything back. All the lights on the modem stay the same even though the connection has dropped.

Not trying to hijack this thread, just sharing that I seem to have the same issues. The only time I have called Bell I still had an external router installed so of course they blamed that. I have since removed it and am still experiencing the same issue.

But Fibe 50 is supposed to be FTTH, what you have is probably FTTN. It's a known problem in your case... I would ask in the Bell direct forum to put you on a maintenance profile, I had the same issue... after maintenance profile I never had any more weird sync no surf.

ande8150

join:2012-04-15
North York, ON
Thanks, yes FTTN in my case. I"ll post on Bell Direct and share on the public forum if there is a resolution. I'll suggest the maintenance profile.

jfturcot

join:2012-08-27
reply to lefrenchy
I have the exact same problem, but with Fibe 25 and I am located just outside Montreal. My problems are EXACTLY like yours, lights are still on, I can still ping the router that the DSL connects to, but I have no internet access outside of that router.

When it started doing it, I was using my own router, so I thought that was the problem, but I was getting disconnecting more often once I stopped using my own router to use the one in the modem with its WIFI.

I called them many times, they keep telling me that they need to test my connection which they did 5 times in 1 week and they always tell me that everything is fine. I also went to one of their stores, but they just made me call them from the store.

I am now waiting for a new modem, if that fixes it, I will post back in here, but I doubt it will since you said that you got a new modem with your Fibe 50. Is it the CellPipe 7130?

Hilroyy

join:2004-06-22
reply to lefrenchy
I have been having the exact same issue with my fibe 25 connection in Oakville. While downloading a large file the connection will crap out but all lights show I am still connected forcing me to unplug everything and reconnect. I have had intermitent disconnects for the last few months but it seems to be getting worse the past week. Just like some other people I am using the Bell Sagecom router as a modem only and using my own router which I thought was the problem but I see it is not.
--
To find the right answer one must know the right question.

kovy7

said by Hilroyy:

I have been having the exact same issue with my fibe 25 connection in Oakville. While downloading a large file the connection will crap out but all lights show I am still connected forcing me to unplug everything and reconnect. I have had intermitent disconnects for the last few months but it seems to be getting worse the past week. Just like some other people I am using the Bell Sagecom router as a modem only and using my own router which I thought was the problem but I see it is not.

All you need to do is reboot the modem... no need to unplug.

RamJam

@bell.ca
I am having the same problem with Fibe 25 on bell. Whenever I upload at full 7mb or do too many torrents or downloading it freezes.

Interestingly enough often ftp and irc processes are all working. It is the HTTP stuff that freezes and I have to reboot the modem. Then its fine. Sometimes it doesn't do it for weeks and sometimes 10x a day. Especially when I am uploading. Right now I am using Crashplan and sending data at about 3MB so I dont use it all up and it is crashing about once every 30 mins.

Anyone found solutions?

kovy7

said by RamJam :

I am having the same problem with Fibe 25 on bell. Whenever I upload at full 7mb or do too many torrents or downloading it freezes.

Interestingly enough often ftp and irc processes are all working. It is the HTTP stuff that freezes and I have to reboot the modem. Then its fine. Sometimes it doesn't do it for weeks and sometimes 10x a day. Especially when I am uploading. Right now I am using Crashplan and sending data at about 3MB so I dont use it all up and it is crashing about once every 30 mins.

Anyone found solutions?

Mine was to change the profile to a maintenance or IPTV... pings a bit higher, but never freezes again.

RamJam

@bell.ca
not sure I can do that on my modem. I have the Sage Com 2864. Do you have that modem? If so, where in the modem is that done? I can't see anything like that

Thanks in advance

RMerlin

join:2009-10-09
Montreal, QC
reply to lefrenchy
Have you tried calling Bell while the connection was crashed? That would make it more likely for them to notice the problem.

antsmarchin

join:2012-05-24
reply to lefrenchy
Ok, So i am not the only one who is having an issue. I am on the Bell Business Internet Line with a sagecom.

Periodically, internet drops, lights remain blue, takes a full unplug of the modem to get it going again, which takes about 5-10 minutes.

FRUSTRATING, and you are right, all they say is they are doing a line test and they see nothing wrong with it.

kovy7

reply to RamJam
said by RamJam :

not sure I can do that on my modem. I have the Sage Com 2864. Do you have that modem? If so, where in the modem is that done? I can't see anything like that

Thanks in advance

It's a profile change, only bell tech can do it.

kovy7

reply to antsmarchin
said by antsmarchin:

Ok, So i am not the only one who is having an issue. I am on the Bell Business Internet Line with a sagecom.

Periodically, internet drops, lights remain blue, takes a full unplug of the modem to get it going again, which takes about 5-10 minutes.

FRUSTRATING, and you are right, all they say is they are doing a line test and they see nothing wrong with it.

All you need is to reboot, no need to unplug.

RamJam

@bell.ca
Yeah, rebooting it from the login works fine for me but some days I have to do this 10x which is a pain in the ass. I find it usually happens when I am uploading or torrenting.

kovy7

Yup, your only way out of this is to get the maintenance profile or IPTV profile.. so ask them to change you.

RamJam

@bell.ca
reply to kovy7
Yeah, rebooting it from the login works fine for me but some days I have to do this 10x which is a pain in the ass. I find it usually happens when I am uploading or torrenting.

kovy7

said by RamJam :

Yup, your only way out of this is to get the maintenance profile or IPTV profile.. so ask them to change you.

antsmarchin

join:2012-05-24
reply to lefrenchy
We had a technician come in on Friday, they looked at the line inside the building and outside the building.

They came back and said something about a line being on top of our line...I asked him to explain, and he kind of muffled the explanation, and I felt bad asking a third time.

We haven't had any outages since than, *Crosses Fingers*.

They did end up switching a modem the day before, however the problem still persisted which is why a technician was called and brought in the next day.

anotech

@bell.ca
reply to lefrenchy
I keep telling one guy that he need to be on interleave at least for now but think it's the throttling again. It's simply a modem firmware that need to be pushed, it's probably a buffer underrun or something stupid that screw up the transmission which is auto corrected with interleave.

Devanchya
Smile
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Ajax, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
Okay going on Interleave is not going to fix this. I had them send me the Lantern results on my line, and I am very clean.

I had a different modem a week ago and no problems. It is a Sagemon modem issue for sure. It's a Connect / Can't Browse issue that is resolved by a Modem Restart.

Most likely the modem is having some weird DNS issue. This is annoying because I don't use my modem as a router, and there doesn't seem to be a way to get it to be a proper Bridge.
--
»www.codecipher.com - Marking the way to tomorrow's solutions -- Did you know that Perl is not Dead? »perlisalive.org/

kovy7

said by Devanchya:

Okay going on Interleave is not going to fix this. I had them send me the Lantern results on my line, and I am very clean.

I had a different modem a week ago and no problems. It is a Sagemon modem issue for sure. It's a Connect / Can't Browse issue that is resolved by a Modem Restart.

Most likely the modem is having some weird DNS issue. This is annoying because I don't use my modem as a router, and there doesn't seem to be a way to get it to be a proper Bridge.

Well the interleaved resolved it for me and many other.

I have both Cellpipe and Sagemcom do this.

I use google DNS and still had the problem.

It's not a simple connect can't browsw issue... since you're able to ping.

People have the same issue in bridge mode.

Here's a great question... do you see anybody on IPTV that has this problem ?

Devanchya
Smile
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Ajax, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
From the tests I've run today, it looks like this is actually a PPPoE conflict.

Even when connected using the "default" user in the modem, it works for a set period then disconnects

I edited the config today to put in a bogus user (just to see) and ensured the user in my router works properly. IT works and I have not suffered the browsing issue since, where before it was happening every 4 hours almost like clockwork.
--
»www.codecipher.com - Marking the way to tomorrow's solutions -- Did you know that Perl is not Dead? »perlisalive.org/