Search similar:

uniqs

knowble
join:2012-07-30
Newport News, VA

1 edit

knowble

Your Favorite Raid

My buddy and I started reminiscing about past raids during a DS run last night. This started a raid-wide discussion/debate about which raid content was better than others. What is everyone's favorite raid?

I have two:

Karazhan - AWESOME boss fights, cool instance design, and eerie music.

SSC - I just love the fishing boss!

If I had to rank my top 10 raids:

1. Karazhan
2. SSC
3. ICC
4. Naxx
5. MC
6. ZG
7. TK (The Eye)
8. Firelands
9. Onyxia
10. Argent Crusade Raid (forgot the name)

Thought this would be a good topic leading into the weekend and Tuesday patch : /
Jodokast
join:2012-05-10

Jodokast

1- Karazhan
2- Molten core-MC
3- Sunwell

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to knowble

Premium Member

to knowble
1. Karazhan, just 2maning (or soloing through it) you can still see how good it was.)

2. Ulduar

3. TK (the eye)

4. ICC

5. ZG20

knowble
Newport News, VA

knowble

I totally forgot about ZG!!!

Editing my top 10 right NOW!

So far, Karazhan is #1 three times in-a-row...

Interesting!

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

No reason to forget about raids that aren't available anymore.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA

Immer to knowble

Premium Member

to knowble
1. Karazhan
2. Ulduar
3. ICC, DS, FL (tied... what of it?)
4. Onyxia2.0
Next-to-last: MC (didn't see it when current, so that might be why)
Last: TOC

Lothario
join:2009-09-30
Ottawa, ON

Lothario to knowble

to knowble
Kara
Gruuls
Onyxia V1
ZG v1
ZA.v1
Cot Hyjal
clawfury
join:2012-02-14
Rochester, MI

clawfury to knowble

to knowble
Kara, then Ulduar. Nothing else came close to me.

Skittles
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31

Skittles to knowble

Premium Member

to knowble
Great topic.

Top 5

1. Karazhan
2. Ulduaar
3. BWL
4. Naxx
5. ICC

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to knowble

Premium Member

to knowble
I think they should do more Karazhan like raids.

Its fairly long, and have many optional bosses, some are way out of the way, but its a blast.

ToC/ToGC have some good bosses but you're just there in the room doing boss after boss.

Venom14
join:2011-10-21
Augusta, GA

Venom14 to knowble

to knowble
1. Kara
2. ICC
3. SSC
4. ZA (Honorable Mention)

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

1 recommendation

Ghastlyone to knowble

Premium Member

to knowble
said by knowble:

My buddy and I started reminiscing about past raids during a DS run last night. This started a raid-wide discussion/debate about which raid content was better than others. What is everyone's favorite raid?

I have two:

Karazhan - AWESOME boss fights, cool instance design, and eerie music.

SSC - I just love the fishing boss!

If I had to rank my top 10 raids:

1. Karazhan
2. SSC
3. ICC
4. Naxx
5. MC
6. ZG
7. TK (The Eye)
8. Firelands
9. Onyxia
10. Argent Crusade Raid (forgot the name)

Thought this would be a good topic leading into the weekend and Tuesday patch : /

That's blasphemy. You listed 10 raids, and still didn't even include Ulduar.

To date, nothing completes with Ulduar. That raid had it.

knowble
Newport News, VA

knowble to Skittles

to Skittles
I like your placement of BWL at # 3!

Lots of people have placed Ulduar up there... I was deployed during that time so i never really got to enjoy it : /

Karazhan is really kickin' some ass, though.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

1 recommendation

DarkLogix to Ghastlyone

Premium Member

to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

That's blasphemy. You listed 10 raids, and still didn't even include Ulduar.

To date, nothing completes with Ulduar. That raid had it.

I agree he must repent his sin.

Ulduar and Karazhan are the BEST

Now on the floor and do 10 hail Proudmoores.

knowble
Newport News, VA

knowble

Never did it during its prime. Was deployed for almost 2 years : /

I have wanted to go check it out, though.

Skittles
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31

Skittles to knowble

Premium Member

to knowble
Yeah, I still have fond memories of BWL from vanilla. I love the raid and will freely run anyone through it whenever someone needs T2 stuff....guildies know how much I love old content and ask me whenever they want an old raid for some transmog stuff or an old achievement...

Venom14
join:2011-10-21
Augusta, GA

Venom14 to knowble

to knowble
said by knowble:

I like your placement of BWL at # 3!

Lots of people have placed Ulduar up there... I was deployed during that time so i never really got to enjoy it : /

Karazhan is really kickin' some ass, though.

-- same same, didnt see it when it was current, never went back into it during Wrath, deployment got me back late into ICC clears.

Nick D
Premium Member
join:2010-02-04
Orange, CA

Nick D to knowble

Premium Member

to knowble
In terms of personal enjoyment:
1. ICC - first raid instance progressing with my own guild. Also it was a good raid instance in its own right. Even at 85 LK is STILL a pretty awesome fight.

2. Firelands - while the trash was stupid, I enjoyed almost all the boss fights. Domo was kinda dumb, as was Rhyo, but Shannox was a ball (I was the Riplimb tank), Rag was a very solid fight, healing Baleroc was always awesome, Beth had a very fun phase 1, and Alys was like playing Mario Bros in a good way. Also we did reasonable well progressing in there.

3. Black Temple - I just like the aesthetics of the place. I never did it at level, so I don't know if I would've hated it based on mechanics.

In terms of what I would consider the best from aesthetic perspectives (these are pretty standard):
1. Black Temple (see above)
2. Ulduar
3. Karazhan (props to Opera)

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to knowble

Premium Member

to knowble
said by knowble:

Go to Openraid.us
There are normally several Ulduar10 and 25 raids going on
Some for the meta's and some just for achevs.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to knowble

Premium Member

to knowble
said by knowble:

Running Ulduar when it was current content was the shit. Now days, you couldn't enjoy was it has to offer.

I have no clue why the hell Blizzard hasn't/doesn't go back to the Hard Mode trigger style like Ulduar had.

It was such a cool concept.

Nick D
Premium Member
Orange, CA

Nick D

Premium Member

"Man how do we trigger an actual hard mode for this fight? like what's the mechanic that starts it off? They can't ALL have Mimiron buttons can they?"

"Meh ... put it in the UI"

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to Ghastlyone

Premium Member

to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

said by knowble:

Running Ulduar when it was current content was the shit. Now days, you couldn't enjoy was it has to offer.

I have no clue why the hell Blizzard hasn't/doesn't go back to the Hard Mode trigger style like Ulduar had.

It was such a cool concept.

Ya I like that idea

Oh you want hard mode, you gotta be careful and do it right.
Some if you didn't have the DPS to activate it you wouldn't have the dps to do it.

others like 1st boss, you could always chicken out and go back and kill a tower.

knowble
Newport News, VA

knowble to Immer

to Immer
What do you like about DS to put it at #3?

I found it to be very plain and badly designed... but everyone has their preferences

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to knowble

Premium Member

to knowble
I remember working on hard modes in Ulduar. Some of those fights were crazy tough to trigger, like Thorim.

So yeah, Blizzard only designed one raid like that and then quickly axed the concept with all the content afterwards.

Now we get the lame ass regular mode and heroic modes.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to Nick D

Premium Member

to Nick D
said by Nick D:

"Man how do we trigger an actual hard mode for this fight? like what's the mechanic that starts it off? They can't ALL have Mimiron buttons can they?"

"Meh ... put it in the UI"

IMO heres an idea for hard modes for DS

1. drag boss into the temple
2. ignore the ball completely
3. never kill any of the slimes
4. Have half the raid in the other EoE at the start (make maglos suddenly rez into the DS:EoE)
5. keep 4 people out for every HoT
6. drag the melee adds onto the area above the bridge
7. only kill one corruption each time (ie LFR style but with firey grips)
8. ignore adds and DPS only tentacle

Have it so when these are met the boss gets harder or for some just doing it makes it harder.

Zyncotl
Zed X
Premium Member
join:2002-09-13
Wayne, MI

Zyncotl

Premium Member

1. Karazhan
2. Black Wing Lair
3. Ulduaar

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA

Immer to Nick D

Premium Member

to Nick D
I think it could have been done with DS:

Morchok -- kill a shard rather than just absorbing the explosion enrages morchok
Yor'sajh -- Include a stacking buff for each "summon blood of suma" that is reset when a blood is killed (normal mode)... not killing bloods allowing the debuff to keep stacking (hard mode)
Zon'ozz -- Have less trash up initially. Leave trash up for hard mode
Hagara -- burn through Hagara's shield during lightning transition phase triggers Hard mode.
Ultraxion -- Retune the fight so that not taking a healing buff was hard mode.
Blackhorn -- Not killing drakes during phase 1 empowers Goriona so she lands on phase 2 triggering hard mode.
Spine -- Nuclear blast in center of the plat exposes both tendons at eh same time... kill both tendons in one shot enrages DW, starting Hard mode for remaining plates.
Madness -- Make deathwing's Head targetable (as opposed to just the wing/limb that is on the island) and if you do x amount of dmg to the head before the last final aspect is assaulted it triggers hard mode for the final platform.

However... the best thing about the current DS hardmodes is that the entire fight is different. It isn't just harder... it's a totally different fight. Once you've seen the Heroic version... you don't want to just do the normal version anymore. I think that is a big win. I never got that feeling from Ulduar... those always felt like little things you'd dream up to make the fight tougher (I raided after the fact, not current). I want a different fight in a heroic encounter. Heck, there are all kinds of silly things you can do to make the same fight just be harder (all pally DS run, for example... or 7-manning as far as you can go, etc.).

caveat: I never have the ideal raiding comp. Maybe if I did... normal and heroic modes would feel lack luster.

Arthritis
join:2011-10-20
Canada

Arthritis to knowble

to knowble
Great topic!

1. Kara, by a wide margin. One of the most campy, entertaining instance I have ever played. I’m not afraid to admit we were stuck on progression on the Prince at level for 2 months, and downing him was amazing.

2. Ulduar – I found it much more challenging / fun than ICC.

3. I really can’t believe Sunwell hasn’t gotten much love. Talk about an ass kicker. I mean Illidan…...phase 2…..that sucked…that really really sucked…lol.

I also probably had the most laughs / fun in Cata with Firelands. I’ve never heard our druids talk more in vent, if you count primal random screams of “Fire kitteh!” as talking. Note to Blizzard, if you ever want to jazz up a raid, more weapons like Fandral’s staff or whatever it was would be awesome. The excitement / anticipation of it potentially dropping was more fun than actually seeing one drop to a guildy.

Nick D
Premium Member
Orange, CA

Nick D to Immer

Premium Member

to Immer
The problem they had in Ulduar was people accidentally triggering hard modes (XT being the prime culprit). That's what they didn't like. That it was a). non-obvious and b). easy to screw up and trigger accidentally. Also they clearly didn't have a good idea for HMs on some bosses (Ignis, Razorscale, Kolo, Auriaya).

Your Yor'sahj example, for instance, isn't bad (basically hard mode is kill no bloods), but what if your raid team is so bad they don't kill a blood? I suppose 3 bloods probably wipes the team anyways, but now you've activated hard mode on accident, so you want to buff the damage and whatnot.

Also I disagree entirely with the premise that the fights are totally different. I mean, hard modes in general are not totally different, but DS hard modes were kind of weak sauce.

Morchok: now a 5 man
Yor'sahj: now have to deal with purple (the other debuffs just mean you take more damage). You can practice this in normal if necessary
Zon'ozz: now have to kill adds, and run out to get dispelled, but the ball bouncing is the same
Hagara: k, lightning phase is appreciably different because you had to have actual positioning, but rest of the fight is the same
Ultraxion: Once you've defined a soaking rotation (which happens before the pull), the fight is nearly identical. Just more Fading Lights.
Gunship: this is probably the most different due to the soaking requirements and Goriona landing. The soaking change alone makes for a far different experience.
Spine: added a dispel, then just do the fight HARDER. MORE DOTS
Madness: kill one additional add on the arms, then the 3 additional AOE sets on the head. Adding more adds to what is essentially a "kill the adds" fight isn't really adding complexity.

s1deout
Geek4Life
Premium Member
join:2003-12-10
Troy, OH

s1deout to knowble

Premium Member

to knowble
Top 10 for me:

1. Kara - 1st time I got to raid / tank and raid lead. Fun times.
2. Battle for Mount Hyjal - this is where my pally tank shined.
3. Uldar - lots of fight / different bosses
4. Tempest Keep - U no have CC ?? have fun on the 1st pull!!
5. Sunwell - very hard when it was current content.
6. ICC - killing the LK was kinda epic!!!
7. Dragon Soul
8. Naxx
9. ToC - PvP fight was fun!! So was block capping on Anub to single tank adds.
10. Black Temple