1 recommendation

pflog to footballdude

MVM

to footballdude

Re: [NCAA-F] Unhappy Valley

said by footballdude:

said by pflog:

said by AB57:

Screw Penn State, and their football program.

I've stayed out of this thread as a Penn State alum, but I really take offense at that last comment.

Get used to it. Penn State has entered the Tiger Woods zone, where everyone used to think they were a cut above but we found out they were rife with corruption. There's going to be a stain on that place for decades.

Sorry, but the actions of a few corrupt assholes do not define the University nor its alumni nor does it take away the great education I received. I'm still proud to be a Penn State graduate and other people can believe what they want but the actions of a sick pervert and some corrupt upper level figures cannot speak for the entire University.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

said by pflog:

Sorry, but the actions of a few corrupt assholes do not define the University nor its alumni nor does it take away the great education I received. I'm still proud to be a Penn State graduate and other people can believe what they want but the actions of a sick pervert and some corrupt upper level figures cannot speak for the entire University.

I have to agree here.

footballdude
Premium Member
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO

footballdude to pflog

Premium Member

to pflog
said by pflog:

Perception is reality in matters like this and the public sees the place as stanky now. I've no doubt you can get a decent education there and I've no doubt the football program will eventually recover, but there's always going to be a footnote in everyone's minds where Penn State is concerned. It will take a long time for that to fade from the public memory and it won't start fading until long after all the dust settles from the continuing lawsuits.

AB57
Premium Member
join:2006-04-04
equatorial

AB57

Premium Member

said by footballdude:

. . It will take a long time for that to fade from the public memory and it won't start fading until long after all the dust settles from the continuing lawsuits.

It might fade, but it will never go entirely away. Some of the stink or taint will always remain, even 50 or 100 years from now.

You know who's the big winner in all this? The Citadel. They had their own serial child molester, which they slipped in coming clean about during the storm over Penn State.
All of our outrage was directed at Penn State, and we didn't have any left for The Citadel-- reportage on their scandal was minimal, and they're catching virtually no grief from a national standpoint. Most people now don't even remember that announcement/story.

Yepper. They just ducked their heads a little and calmly whistled their way right on out of that room, and nobody even noticed they'd left.
I'll bet the honchos of that school are still smiling.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

1 recommendation

pflog to footballdude

MVM

to footballdude
I'm not disagreeing that the public will see it that way. It will, and that sucks a lot because the public has no god damn idea. They know what the media spoon fed them.

I bet if you asked a random person on the street what "THON" is at Penn State they'd have no idea.

I frankly don't care what ignorant people think. I still wear my Penn State stuff proudly and any ignorant asshole that wants to think the entire university is "corrupt" or "bad" because of one pedophile and a handful of people covering it up can think whatever they want. I know the real Penn State.

Del_Gue
join:2001-10-03
Lancaster, OH

1 edit

Del_Gue

said by pflog:

I'm not disagreeing that the public will see it that way. It will, and that sucks a lot because the public has no god damn idea. They know what the media spoon fed them.

I bet if you asked a random person on the street what "THON" is at Penn State they'd have no idea.

I frankly don't care what ignorant people think. I still wear my Penn State stuff proudly and any ignorant asshole that wants to think the entire university is "corrupt" or "bad" because of one pedophile and a handful of people covering it up can think whatever they want. I know the real Penn State.

Let's not go overboard, PSU simply has some stink on it, which will fade in time.
And just where do I find all these spoon fed media errors? I think you are confusing the media with lots of ignorant sports fans who relish in bringing another program down.
You might be surprised to find how many people are respectful of your education and your educators.

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium Member
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA

Voxxjin to footballdude

Premium Member

to footballdude
said by footballdude:

It will take a long time for that to fade from the public memory and it won't start fading until long after all the dust settles from the continuing lawsuits.

And yet the twin towers are already fading from some people's minds.

Edge1
But these go to 11.
Premium Member
join:2006-03-01
USA

1 recommendation

Edge1

Premium Member

said by Voxxjin:

said by footballdude:

It will take a long time for that to fade from the public memory and it won't start fading until long after all the dust settles from the continuing lawsuits.

I hope you didn't just liken Penn State University to Al-Quaeda.

footballdude
Premium Member
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO

footballdude to Voxxjin

Premium Member

to Voxxjin
said by Voxxjin:

said by footballdude:

The twin tower footage got yanked from broadcast news pretty quickly. Reporters will be reminding us all of the Penn State scandal for years, every time a little more information trickles out from one of the many coming trials.

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium Member
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA

Voxxjin to Edge1

Premium Member

to Edge1
said by Edge1:

said by Voxxjin:

said by footballdude:

I hope you didn't just liken Penn State University to Al-Quaeda.

nope just saying that 9/11 wasn't that long ago and many people seem to have forgotten about it. I grew up rooting for PSU and it is still the only school in college I will watch play ball (even if it takes a few years to see them play again).

Edge1
But these go to 11.
Premium Member
join:2006-03-01
USA

1 recommendation

Edge1

Premium Member

OK, my misunderstanding. PSU fan here, not gonna roll over and die because of this horrible situation. Wrongs, serious wrongs, were committed at many levels, Joe included. The offenders are gone now. That doesn't take away from the good the university, its staff, and students have done in the world. My siblings are graduates of PSU, I took classes there but ultimately graduated elsewhere. Its a lot more than a football program. Will be rooting for PSU as loyally as always, because its my state university and I believe in higher education. Excited about the level of commitment being shown by Bill O'Brien and the kids on the team, none of whom had anything to do with this nightmare.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

1 recommendation

pflog

MVM

said by Edge1:

OK, my misunderstanding. PSU fan here, not gonna roll over and die because of this horrible situation. Wrongs, serious wrongs, were committed at many levels, Joe included. The offenders are gone now. That doesn't take away from the good the university, its staff, and students have done in the world. My siblings are graduates of PSU, I took classes there but ultimately graduated elsewhere. Its a lot more than a football program. Will be rooting for PSU as loyally as always, because its my state university and I believe in higher education. Excited about the level of commitment being shown by Bill O'Brien and the kids on the team, none of whom had anything to do with this nightmare.

Couldn't have said it better myself.