FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

[iPhone] Facebook speeds up iOS apps using iOS native code

»bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2 ··· ne-ipad/

Facebook on Thursday released major upgrades to its iPhone and iPad apps. Those who have suffered from the sluggishness of the current apps can breathe a collective sigh of relief: these new versions are much faster.

The apps look nearly identical to their predecessors. The main difference is that most of their old Web-based code has been replaced with the native programming code used for iOS

The code from Facebook’s stand-alone Camera and Messenger apps has been tucked into the Facebook app, replacing the older photo and messaging tools. That makes these tools look and act a bit different, but most importantly, messaging and posting photos are much zippier.

Another difference is in the news feed. When people “Like” or add comments to status updates, they will show up in real time, eliminating the need to refresh the post to view new comments and Likes. Over all, the news feed has been optimized to load quickly and “feel alive

The focus on native code in apps raises questions about whether Facebook is getting ready to abandon its roots as an open Web platform. Mr. Ondrejka says that’s not the case. He explained that Facebook’s mobile Web site is still where it gets the most activity. But for apps, the company found that wrapping native code around Web technology was not ideal.

“Unfortunately native is a different animal, and it turns out you can’t build a good enough experience on iOS using Web tech,” Mr. Ondrejka said.

I don't have an iPhone, so couldn't test there. But the Facebook app on the iPad is much faster and responsive and has better navigation, including the photo app and messaging within the main Facebook app now.

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike

Mod

App was HTML 5 before, which ran like shit.

It's "kinda faster".

Still runs like shit but at least this one doesn't stink as much

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium Member
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA

bobrk

Premium Member

It feels more like back end problems. The app itself is an improvement.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
Feels faster (and looks a crapload better) than before. Well done.

Andy from CA
Premium Member
join:2008-09-05
Anaheim, CA

Andy from CA to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
Definitely better. Until this I was using Safari to get my facebook fix.

pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL

pcdebb to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
i've gotten no updates on the app on ipad or iphone
spoke too soon. updating now

agrall
join:2000-09-29
Saint Paul, MN

agrall to FFH5

to FFH5
I still don't understand how a social networking app for iOS is missing the ability to 'share' a post or story...

Isn't that one of the very basic ideas of social networking?

buckingham
Doylstown Pa
Premium Member
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA

buckingham

Premium Member

said by agrall:

I still don't understand how a social networking app for iOS is missing the ability to 'share' a post or story...

Agree...it's frustrating when I'm traveling and only take my iDevices with me.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by buckingham:

said by agrall:

Agree...it's frustrating when I'm traveling and only take my iDevices with me.

+1 The lack of the share function drives. me. nuts.

ztmike
Mark for moderation
Premium Member
join:2001-08-02
La Porte, IN

ztmike to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
New update made it tons faster but broke notifications in news feed..doesnt update when someone comments or thumbs up something when browsing in the news feed..and the time of how old something is in news feed also doesn't update. Also can't change cover photo under timeline and can't save a photo either now.

1 step forward, 2 steps back on this update.

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium Member
join:2002-02-18

Ctrl Alt Del to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
The new Facebook app on my iPhone 3GS is significantly faster. World of difference.
rugby
I think I know it all.
join:2000-09-26
Plainfield, IN

rugby to FFH5

to FFH5
It's definitely faster, but overall usability is still an F.

pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
ARRIS DG1670

pcdebb to ztmike

Premium Member

to ztmike
said by ztmike:

Also can't change cover photo under timeline and can't save a photo either now.

yea that sucks!

but I do like that it tells me there are new stories, i click it and it takes me to the top, instead of scrolling forever to get there. it updates a thread on the fly while reading it too

mbernste
MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste to FFH5

MVM

to FFH5
I have no problems saving a photo. Just tap it and then tap the save button. Also sharing is easy as well. Just go to the story and tap the share button at the bottom. I don't understand what problems others are running into.

MgA_ODEN
Excessive
Premium Member
join:2002-12-28
Spring, TX

MgA_ODEN to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
Tap and hold down to save photo.