birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

1 edit

birdfeedr to DGGSLF

MVM

to DGGSLF

Re: [Northeast] Available FiOS Internet usage meters?

said by DGGSLF:

Has anyone used or know of a usage meter/tool which will allow me to see how much data I'm using

I took the time to research dd-wrt on a Netgear WNR3700L. It is now my primary router and it has a daily WAN usage count and a monthly summary number to show totals.

dd-wrt is a work in progress, and it can be very intimidating and confusing, as there are a number of people who tweak and modify it to their preferences (and of course make it available to others).

If you're on a MoCA WAN, you'll have problems until you switch to ethernet WAN, since the Actiontec MoCA chipset is not supported by dd-wrt.

edited to add screenshot and link. »www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/inde ··· WNR3500L

WAN Traffic for August
McBane
join:2008-08-22
Wylie, TX

McBane

Cacti

Although thats probably not an option for everyone... you need a managed or smart switch that supports SNMP and a webserver with PHP and SNMP utilities, but it's great for historical usage information. I can see how much bandwidth I used any time going back to '08 when I first set it all up.

houkouonchi
join:2002-07-22
Ontario, CA

houkouonchi to birdfeedr

to birdfeedr
Damn birdfeeder your usage is almost nothing!

I use a little script that parses MRTG data from snmp running on my router box into graphs like this:

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr

MVM

said by houkouonchi:

Damn birdfeeder your usage is almost nothing!

Besides two people on medium duty web and email browsing, there's some periodic vnc traffic, ftp uploading of weather data, and slingbox to the outside. I think I left a slingplayer running overnight on the 5th and 6th for bandwidth testing purposes. 40GB total so far in August! I agree, I am so not a power user. I do well enough on 25/25.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

Click for full size
Use more data Birdfeedr! I've done more than you as well on just DSL.

Pureblood
'Let's Go Brandon'
Premium Member
join:2000-10-18
PorkRoll NJ
·Optimum Online
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WAX630

Pureblood

Premium Member

Congratulations Smith6612 See Profile, if you are doing that with a DSL connection you are the pound for pound BW Champ. Not that it matters by I could track my usage with dd-wrt back to 12/2009. Generally after a new dd-wrt release that appears to be stable I always like to test by abusing my wireless connection, the last day of April 2011 was one of those days. Not too bad for a cheesy Dell laptop and a $45 router.
McBane
join:2008-08-22
Wylie, TX

McBane to houkouonchi

to houkouonchi
Hey houk, what script is that? It's got nifty aggregate graphs

houkouonchi
join:2002-07-22
Ontario, CA

houkouonchi

said by McBane:

Hey houk, what script is that? It's got nifty aggregate graphs

I just use MRTG which can work with pretty much anything that supports SNMP. The totals are graphed by another utility that parses MRTG logs for totals.