how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

myosh

join:2001-05-03
Cupertino, CA

Question about Fusion for Small Business

I run a small business in west San Jose (Saratoga Ave and Prosect Rd) that currently has 1.5 Mbps DSL and phone service from AT&T. After seeing my AT&T phone bill rise and rise and rise again, I'm contemplating a switch to Sonic Fusion. I did run through the pre-qual on the Sonic website, it says my phone number can get Fusion service although I'm over 12,700 feet from the CO.

From what I gather from the Sonic website, Business Fusion is $89.95 and includes two lines and internet access. My first question is, at my distance (12,700 ft), what kind of speeds can I expect? My second question is, how much extra will static IPs cost? I need the static IPs otherwise, I cannot get my credit card terminal to connect properly.

Thanks in advance!

wa2ibm
Premium
join:2000-10-10
San Jose, CA
12,700 feet is pretty far for Fusion. You might expect maybe 2 to 3mb down load speed with the two bonded lines.

However, don't take the pre-qual distance numbers as gospel. Your CO is at 6245 Dial Ave, just 1.3 miles (6,855 ft) from Saratoga and Prospect (per Google Earth). However, we all know that phone cables don't take a straight shot anywhere, so your length will be greater, but maybe not 12K ft. You won't really know until you order service and it's actually measured.

There are three prices for static IP address with a business account:

$10/mo - for one static IP
$20/mo - for four
$40/mo - for eight

You probably will only need one static IP, since you only have one application that needs it.
--
- Bill

myosh

Cupertino, CA
The 12,848 ft distance was gotten from the Sonic.net site when I entered my phone number to see if it can get the Fusion service. I'm not sure if that distance is 100% accurate but 2-3 Mbps beats the 1.5 Mbps I get right now with AT&T DSL.

One IP probably wouldn't cut it as I have a back-office computer I want connected to the internet as well as the credit card terminal so I would need the 4 IPs at $20/month.

So overall, I'd be looking at $110/month plus taxes ($89.95 + 20.00) which would be an improvement over what I'm paying AT&T right now which is in the $135/month range.

Thanks for the information.

wa2ibm
Premium
join:2000-10-10
San Jose, CA
The pre-qual distances that Sonic gives you come from a database provided by a vender. They're rarely 100% correct. As I said, the only real way to find it is to order service, then Sonic can tell you the real length based on actual measurements within their system.

You can probably still "get away" with a single static IP. You'll have a router behind the ADSL2+ modem, which will support many devices behind the one IP address. Your credit card terminal will also be on your internal network and have the appropriate ports forwarded through the router so it can work properly.

As for price, don't forget that there will be local/state/federal phone taxes on each of the two phone lines, bringing your total up closer to what you're paying AT&T right now. In San Jose, that will be about $11.17 per line. See: »sonic.net/solutions/home/interne···axesfees

Even if it were equal, you'd still be better off with Sonic due to their much better customer service.
--
- Bill

mdurkin

join:1999-08-11
San Bruno, CA
reply to myosh
Are you sure that you need a static IP for the credit card terminal? That seems very unusual. You have to register your IP with the merchant services provider? That is certainly not typical. If the card machine just doesn't support DHCP (or has broken DHCP), you can put it behind a NAT router and put it on a static local IP even though your public IP the merchant provider sees will change occasionally.

myosh

Cupertino, CA

1 edit
Let's just put it this way... I tried putting it behind a consumer-grade router (i.e. Linksys WRT54G... maybe that was the problem) and it would work for about a week or so and then it would stop communicating with the card processor. I tried everything including swapping out routers, getting a different brand (Netgear and D-Link) and tinkering with the settings on the terminal and nothing worked. AT&T business DSL tech support was completely worthless (they told me to contact Linksys or my card processor) so I bit the bullet and got static IPs. No problems since then.

I consider myself pretty tech savvy (have a wired and wireless network setup at home with multiple computers and other devices) but this problem brought me to my knees.

@wa2ibm... even with taxes included I'm probably looking at $121/month plus modem rental (dang, forgot about that) so that's still a $5-10 monthly savings and I get a little faster connection (2-3 vs 1.5), Sonic's improved customer service and support, unlimited local and long distance and a second phone line.

CCNnorthcali

join:2004-03-07
San Francisco, CA
Is it possible that perhaps the right ports weren't forwarded? I would imagine if you put the terminal in DMZ would fix the problem and save you some money each month. In fact I'd be surprised if it didn't.

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium,VIP
join:2001-08-20
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:9
reply to myosh
I'd expect the speed to be at least 3Mbps total, as it's two lines bonded, and you've got a line now which is working at 1.5Mbps.

You'll also see a big jump in upstream speed, from your current 384kbps to roughly 2Mbps.

-Dane