how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

simiglen

join:2001-04-30
Simi Valley, CA

Weird window film

About 3 months ago I had the windshield replaced on my 2006 Accord. Since then I have had a "film" appear a day or 2 after I clean it. It almost looks like the stuff that shows up on windows of smokers cars. Never smoked in my car. I always leave the a/c on fresh air (in fact most days I use my sun roof to vent the car).

A. What do you think might be causing this?
B. How can I get rid of it (besides cleaning my window every 3-4 days?

Any help would be great.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2
Getting some residue happening from the engine compartment? That's a common one.
--
Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

simiglen

Simi Valley, CA
I am getting the film on the inside.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2
I realize that. If your cabin air intake is under the hood, it will take in the air from the engine compartment as well.
--
Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

scross

join:2002-09-13
Cordova, TN
reply to simiglen
Along those same lines, if you have a leak in your heater core inside your dashboard, then small amounts of antifreeze may be depositing themselves on your inner windshield. Pick a convenient time and place, clean your windshield, then turn on the defroster full blast and see what happens. If you quickly end up with an oily film then this is probably your problem. Keep your nose open for the sweet smell of antifreeze, too.

Another possibility is the sealant that they used when installing the new windshield. I've seen situations where these sealants physically melt and start running in high heat (like we've had lately), so I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were prone to out-gassing, too, which might explain the film. Unlike a heater core leak, though, I would expect this problem to probably clear itself up over time, as the sealant ages.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to simiglen
It the heater core leaking? Is there antifreeze on the floor of the passenger side? Is there a sweet smell to it?

bmilone2

join:2001-01-26
Mays Landing, NJ
reply to simiglen
I'm voting for the sealer used around the windshield when it was replaced. Had the same issue with a windshield I had replaced once. The problem got less and less and eventually stopped. I'm guessing it has to due with the sealant curing process.

Coolent leaking from the heater core can also cause the problem, but normally you would smell that also.

simiglen

Simi Valley, CA
I don't think it Is the leak. I see no evidence of anti-freeze on the ground

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30
said by simiglen:

I don't think it Is the leak. I see no evidence of anti-freeze on the ground

It would not be on the ground outside. It would be on or under the carpet on the passenger side floor.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

mjhouser
Premium
join:2001-10-06
reply to simiglen
Have you changed the cleaner/protectant you use for the interior of your car recently? The heat from the sun may draw a chemical residue from the dashboard also.

Everything will show now with a crystal clear new windshield.

I would check your floor, like Doctor Olds See Profile mentioned.

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium
join:2009-09-11
reply to simiglen
It's the open sunroof!
My wife and son drive with the windows down (doesn't like AC) and their windows are always have that film on them, me I always use the AC and very, very rarely do I need to clean the inside of my windows!
I think it's mostly from trucks and diesel cars!

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30
said by The Pig:

It's the open sunroof!
My wife and son drive with the windows down (doesn't like AC) and their windows are always have that film on them,

Technically and factually then the film you claim to be seeing from an open sunroof would be on the outside of the glass first before it could ever form on the inside of the glass.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium
join:2009-09-11
I thinking as it happens to wife and sons car that it happens so fast on the inside is there is no place for the stuff that is causing the film to go while the outside it can blow off as you drive!

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30
said by The Pig:

I thinking as it happens to wife and sons car that it happens so fast on the inside is there is no place for the stuff that is causing the film to go while the outside it can blow off as you drive!

No a film will not blow off. Dust will but that is not the same as a film that adheres to the glass. It would adhere both in and out if the source is from outside and windows or sun/moon roofs are open. It would build up faster on the outside since there is more exposure than on the inside. When there is a film only on the inside then the source is also on the inside.

Now if they smoke then that will leave a film on the inside of the glass only.
--

Jtmo
Premium
join:2001-05-20
Novato, CA

1 recommendation

reply to simiglen
I get the same thing on my Fusion. I have had it on other cars too, I think it is out gassing of various materials.
It is not oily, more like a smokers car as you descrbe.
Expand your moderator at work

netboy34
Premium
join:2001-08-29
Kennesaw, GA
kudos:1
reply to Jtmo

Re: Weird window film

if it is an early fusion, it is because we don't have cabin air filters... ( I actually used rainX on the inside and it helped a bit)

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30
said by netboy34:

if it is an early fusion, it is because we don't have cabin air filters...

If that were the reason then all cars built before the invention of cabin air filters would exhibit the same film, yet they all don't.
--

netboy34
Premium
join:2001-08-29
Kennesaw, GA
kudos:1
true, but it is also those cars are motly older models that 1) drove when air quality was better 2) hardly drive now 3) the owner doesn't notice

When the pollen comes down around here, the inside of my car is just as yellow as the outside...

Ford thought by mixing air with outside air without a filter was a good idea instead of using the heater core or AC