how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

en103

join:2011-05-02
reply to rit56

Re: FCC

This will actually kill DSL lines in many places, as well as AT&T's Uverse offering of 'pro' at 3Mbps/1Mbps.

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

It won't "kill" DSL, anymore than the wireless carriers have been "killed" by selling non-4G service as 4G.

I'd be curious to know why a 4/1 definition of "broadband" meets with such disdain though. That's more than enough to meet the needs of the typical residential customer. It might be nicer if it was defined as 5/1, 4mbit/s is borderline for HD streaming, I'm still not seeing a reason for outage though.

Slow upload speeds are the most annoying thing from my vantage point, though that was a necessary technical compromise back in the day, and remains so with services like ADSL.

join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH
reply to en103

It's not going to kill anything. The FCC can adopt these guidelines all they want, but they are unable to enforce them. They have no control over the Internet. They can not set speeds, caps or anything else. They lose that battle YEARS ago when they decided to let the Internet be an information source instead of a communications source. That was back with X Case over wholesale cable modem services. Now they need Congress to fully give them the power, and you have a better chance of being struck by lighting sitting at your computer than that ever happening soon.