uniqs
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to therube

Premium Member

to therube

Re: Is turning off Javascript really necessary any more?

said by therube:

But if you can limit its usage, you are better off. And when you have something that can provide more granular control then a simple on/off switch, you are both safer & able to control your browsing experience more effectively & efficiently. NoScript can do that. (Among many other things.)

So can the Proxomitron and with a heck of a lot less problems. As I have said many times, why anyone would claim NoScript is the answer when Proxo is available with the latest Sidki filters from December 2011, I can't understand. It sometimes will block something, and it is not perfect, but a lot easier to use than NoScript, plus, it works on all browsers...you are not limited to Fx or Opera with its builtin "noscript".

therube
join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD

therube

quote:
But if you can limit its usage, you are better off.
quote:
So can the Proxomitron
Whatever means works for you.
If NoScript isn't your cup of tea, & Proxomitron can do similar, then by all means.
And in IE (which I'm not familiar with) you can use that "trusted zone" (or something or the other), but I would think that to not really be feasible. But if you're glotten for punishment ...

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
Proxomitron is what 10 yrs old and as the author has passed away,it doesn't look like they'll be any further developement.

All it does is the same thing a Hosts file does...........and or a *pac file.

Noscript blocks flash,java and any number of other options.

It's a shame you couldn't understand how to learn how to use it........it probably would only have taken 5 minutes.
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO

Premium Member

said by ZZZZZZZ:

Proxomitron is what 10 yrs old
All it does is the same thing a Hosts file does...........

Really? The same thing as hosts file does?

You certainly have never used it and you don't know what are you talking about!
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ
said by ZZZZZZZ:

Proxomitron is what 10 yrs old and as the author has passed away,it doesn't look like they'll be any further developement.

All it does is the same thing a Hosts file does...........and or a *pac file.

Noscript blocks flash,java and any number of other options.

It's a shame you couldn't understand how to learn how to use it........it probably would only have taken 5 minutes.

Oh dear. Talk about ignorance...geez. You opened your mouth and inserted not one but both feet.

I suggest you learn something about Proxomitron before making such comments as "it doesn't look like there will be further development". That comment indicates that you have little, if any, understanding of how Proxo works. Then your comment that Proxo works like a Hosts file? That indicates even more strongly that you have absolutely not a glimmer of how Proxo works

Proxo blocks Flash, java, stops malicious iframes, ....all sorts of things that you say it doesn't do...again, you have really put both feet all the way up to your ass in your mouth with your uninformed comments.

Scott Lemmon gave the internet community what is still the best gift that any developer could give users. He gave it away free and anyone willing to put in the time and effort can learn to write their own filters for it and KEEP THE FILTERS UPDATED....note I said FILTERS UPDATED ...not the Proxomitron which does not need updating. For those of us who don't have the time, the desire, whatever to learn to write our own filters we have volunteers who write filter sets for public usage and have been doing so for many years even when Scott was alive. When I joined this site and this forum there was a tremendous amount of discussion here about Proxomitron and many members here were writing filters for public use. This very forum, and its members, was how I found out about Proxo.

As for NoScript, I spent a lot more than 5 minutes using it. I am well aware that one needs to give any unfamiliar, "new" (to them) program a fair trial. It is far more difficult to use than Proxo with Sidki's latest filters and it only works on Fx. I use a bunch of browsers. Proxo works with all browsers.
EdmundGerber
join:2010-01-04

EdmundGerber to Mele20

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

said by therube:

But if you can limit its usage, you are better off. And when you have something that can provide more granular control then a simple on/off switch, you are both safer & able to control your browsing experience more effectively & efficiently. NoScript can do that. (Among many other things.)

So can the Proxomitron and with a heck of a lot less problems. As I have said many times, why anyone would claim NoScript is the answer when Proxo is available with the latest Sidki filters from December 2011, I can't understand. It sometimes will block something, and it is not perfect, but a lot easier to use than NoScript, plus, it works on all browsers...you are not limited to Fx or Opera with its builtin "noscript".

Proxo last update June 2003. Noscript last update? A few minutes ago!

Easier than Noscript? No. Wrong again. What is easier than right clicking on an icon and choosing allow. Now the site is configured as I like it each time - no ads or trackers, just functionality.

But your advice to ignore Noscript just shows how far out of touch you're becoming there on your (now vulnerable) virtual machine.
OZO
Premium Member

OZO

Premium Member

said by EdmundGerber:

Do you think what is updated the last is always better?
Think again...

They are completely different tools, with completely different implementations, having completely different requirements and completely different functions.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

If you did it right the first time, you don't have to issue a revision.
EdmundGerber
join:2010-01-04

EdmundGerber to OZO

to OZO
said by OZO:

said by EdmundGerber:

Do you think what is updated the last is always better?
Think again...

Generally - yes. You say 'think again' like you have some deep inside knowledge that we don't. Some occasional updates can screw things up. Using software nearly 10 years out of date is almost ALWAYS a bad idea. Thing again? Good advice for you, too.

Most software updates are fine. No need to 'think again'...
OZO
Premium Member

OZO

Premium Member

1. Your point was "Proxo last update June 2003. Noscript last update? A few minutes ago!" implying that the latter is better just because of its update time and now you switched to "Generaly"?

2. Read this again:
said by AVD:

If you did it right the first time, you don't have to issue a revision.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to EdmundGerber

Premium Member

to EdmundGerber
Proxomitron: 1 vuln, not exploitable by arbitrary webpages.

If it ain't broke....