Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
reply to Stevert

Re: Nebraska Zephyr Excursion

I came across this page

»www.trainorders.com/discussion/r···,2854518

One of the comments made by "NebraskaZephyr" is below

quote:
The main difference is "you will need to add an ATC-equipped pilot loco to go from West Chicago to Western Ave."

So, going by this, it sounds like the Zephyr will be under its own power from Union, IL to West Chicago, IL, and then have a Pilot loco attached to the front for the rest of the trip.

However, knowing that the requirement for an ACT-Equipped pilot is a UP rule, I don't see why it would not be enforced for the trip between Union, IL and West Chicago, IL, as that is a UP line as well. In any case, even if it has a ATC-Equipped pilot, it still would be cool to see it rolling by.

Moving it the day before (9/21) sounds like a good bet to me as well, with the return from Chicago Union Station to Union IL being the Monday following the Excursion (9/24).

If I do come across more exact dates/times, I'll post them here.

Thanks,

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

StepR
Code Warrior
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Elgin, IL
reply to plencnerb

To see it on a Saturday, maybe I will bike down to Aurora or Sandwich.

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL

I was thinking the same thing. Of course, with it leaving Chicago at 9 AM, it will probably be in Aurora around 10 or 10:30 AM. To get from Elgin to Aurora by bike (about 30 miles) we would probably have to leave around 6 AM (assuming 10 miles each hour) which would put us in Aurora around 9 AM (just as its leaving Chicago).

I've done that trip before by bike (its a really nice ride), but never have left that early. So, it is something I am thinking about doing, either on Saturday or Sunday.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to plencnerb

In galesburg? I'm there a lot. No. Not much to really do. The downtown district is eh, ok. Some expensive restaurants not too far.

If you do go, and want something cheap but good, check out pizza house. Not too far and really the ONLY pizza i will eat in town. I call galesburg forgotonia. Hell, even at&t doesn't have 3g there!
--
The day the child realizes that all adults are imperfect, he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult. The day he forgives himself, he becomes wise.
Alden Nowlan

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
reply to plencnerb

I did want to add that I made contact with IRM in regards to the Deadhead moves prior to and after the Excursion.

Below is the information that I got.

quote:
If I had to guess it would move in non rush periods down to the coach yard to rest overnight. I doubt it could or would be spotted directly in CUS until just before boarding time.

So, this would imply to me that the move prior to the Excursion would take place sometime on Friday September 21st during "non rush periods". So, that would then be between 9 AM and 3 PM, or after 7 PM. I would also think that these would be the times the train would be in route between West Chicago and CUS, to not impact normal rush hour operations.

I also did some searches on the IRM site, and found that this is not the first time the Nebraska Zephyr has been on special excursions.
In reading the December 1993 edition of Rail and Wire (the Museum's official newsletter)

»www.irm.org/railwire/rw153.html

It talks about a trip that was done in December of 1993. In it, it has a somewhat detailed report of the trip, indicating that the Zephyr left Union, IL at 8:20 am and "less than an hour later the Zephyr is cooling its heels at the West Chicago yard limits.". So, that would have put the Zephyr in West Chicago around 9 AM.

I make a note of this to show how long it takes to go from Union to West Chicago, as that may help those of us trying to catch a look at the deadhead moves.

As far as tracking it, IRM does have a "Nebraska Zephyr GPS Tracking" page.

»www.irm.org/events/zephyrtracking.html

It does appear to be still working, so we could use this to track when it leaves Union on Friday the 21st, and Chicago on Monday the 24th, as well as the excursion itself.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

lstone19

join:2000-03-12
Roselle, IL
reply to plencnerb

said by plencnerb:

However, knowing that the requirement for an ACT-Equipped pilot is a UP rule, I don't see why it would not be enforced for the trip between Union, IL and West Chicago, IL, as that is a UP line as well.

The requirement only applies in ATC territory. The Belvedere branch (Union-West Chicago) is dark (unsignalled).

said by plencnerb:

Of course, with it leaving Chicago at 9 AM, it will probably be in Aurora around 10 or 10:30 AM.

By 10:00, it should be well west of Aurora. The schedule calls for 2:40 Chicago-Galesburg, comparable to scheduled Amtrak trains. Since those schedules allow 35 minutes for Chicago to Naperville, I'd expect it past Aurora between 9:35 and 9:40. Of course, that all assumes an on-time departure.

Stevert

join:2001-10-23
Algonquin, IL
reply to plencnerb

IRM has posted a schedule that includes the deadhead moves to/from CUS:

»www.irm.org/events/zephyrschedule.html

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

Good catch!

Now I can plan when I can see it on Friday and Sunday night in Elgin.

--Brian

Stevert

join:2001-10-23
Algonquin, IL
reply to plencnerb

Interesting, you can now buy tickets for the Friday move from IRM to CUS:

»www3.irm.org/store/index.php?mai···_id=1957

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

That is interesting indeed.

Cost for that trip is $65, and of course, is only one way. You would have to find your own way back to IRM (if you drove out there to get your car).

Makes you wonder if they will offer a similar purchase for the move back to IRM Sunday night.

--Brian

StepR
Code Warrior
Premium
Elgin, IL
reply to Stevert

That link is not showing a ticket right now.

I was scouting out locations for a photo shoot, the Fox River bridge or the Poplar Creek bridge, but the trees to each side obscure the approach, so the scope would be limited and you could not see the train coming to get ready. I think shooting across the Fox before the bridge may work.

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

I just noticed that too. The link does not appear to be working.

Also, on the main ticket page, there used to be three links to purchase tickets (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday). Now its back to two again (Saturday and Sunday).

Two things come to mind with that

1) They changed their mind, and not going to offer this as an option.

2) They sold out, and took the link down.

In regards to where I'm going to be on Friday morning, I'll be a little bit farther south of downtown Elgin (more towards South Elgin), along the bike trail. There is a nice curve with trees on the east side, and the trail on the west side of the tracks. It offers a wide view of the train, with the forest as the background.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
reply to plencnerb

Looks like the page is back up.

Direct link is here

»www3.irm.org/store/index.php?mai···_id=1957

Cost is still $65.00.

Few notes for those that want to partake in this

1) Print your order confirmation email and bring it with you, it will serve as your ticket.

2) IRM Members will get a $15 refund, however, you must put your membership number in the "Special Instructions or Comments About Your Order" box during the checkout process. Once we verify your membership, we will submit the refund.

3) There will be no food or diner service, or any other additional services on this route from IRM to CUS.

4) We are not a priority train and travel time will be unknown, however, we estimate about 2 to 3 hours.

5) Plan to arrive at IRM no later 9:00AM.

And, what I feel is the most important note about this trip (that is, if you drove and parked your car at IRM....)

6) It is your responsibility to find your way back to IRM.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

StepR
Code Warrior
Premium
Elgin, IL
reply to plencnerb

The train is behind schedule according to the GPS tracker. It was backing up, but now it is proceeding SE at 40MPH, between Union and Huntley. In the rain.

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Just got home from seeing it roll by just north of South Elgin along the Fox River Bike Trail.

Yes, it was a bit late, but that's ok. The rain did stop right before it came by, and the sun even came out for a bit as well.

The pictures are taken from the video I recorded. They even blew the horn as they went by!

Not sure if I can post / upload the video (its in quicktime format), but if I can, I'll share it.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

Train Mom

@spcsdns.net

Hi,
I am new to all of this. My 5 y/o and I rode the NZ for the first time lady weekend at IRM. We would love to have made this excursion but can't afford the tickets for two. I would like to take him somewhere where he could see the NZ. We live near CUS. Should we try and catch it leaving CUS our drive out of the city for a better view? Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Thanks,
Ruthie

Train Mom

@spcsdns.net
reply to plencnerb

Hi,
I am new to all of this. My 5 y/o and I rode the NZ for the first time lady weekend at IRM. We would love to have made this excursion but can't afford the tickets for two. I would like to take him somewhere where he could see the NZ. We live near CUS. Should we try and catch it leaving CUS our drive out of the city for a better view? Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Thanks,
Ruthie

StepR
Code Warrior
Premium
Elgin, IL
reply to plencnerb

From the geotracking page,
»www.irm.org/events/zephyrtracking.html
I cannot tell if the train is underneath Union Station or the yards South of the Station. If it is in the Station, I doubt non-ticketed passengers will be allowed to see it although maybe it could be seen in the dark from an adjacent track.

Since the train will run along the Burlington tracks, viewing might be better from a suburban station. LaGrange and Naperville are listed as stops on the Amtrak line that runs on those tracks. Or you may want to select one of these Metra stations on the Burlington route:
»metrarail.com/metra/en/home/maps···ion.html

The Amtrak schedule shows that the Amtrak train usually takes 19 minutes to get to LaGrange or 35 minutes to Naperville.
»www.amtrak.com/ccurl/671/419/Ill···09,0.pdf
so time yourself accordingly.

I am deciding whether to bike down to Aurora (2 hour trip) or whether to wait to tomorrow morning. Or see it returning to the museum Sunday night in Elgin in the dark.