--
non nova, sed nove
primum non nocere

ctggzg
Premium
join:2005-02-11
USA
kudos:2

I got this too. I hadn't even realized that Microsoft bought Skype. The only thing is that I already have 5.3.0.108 installed, so I don't know why it's offering 5.1 as an "update".

EDIT: Never mind. It's one of the strange apps that doesn't use decimal version numbers. 5.10 is newer than 5.3.

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
reply to Gone Fishing

My Current Skype Version
This is interesting. Let me try to explain...

If you look at the KB article that you reference, it says this at the top of the page.

quote:
Skype released Skype 5.10 for Windows on August 14, 2012, which comes with some new functionalities and features to enhance the Skype experience.

If you go further down, you see the many ways to download and install this version of skype. One of them says you can go directly to Skype's webpage and get it.

quote:
How can I install the latest version of Skype for Windows?
To install Skype 5.10 for Windows:

1. Download the latest version from the Skype web site.
2. Click Run to run Skype directly from your browser.
3. Follow the steps in the setup wizard to complete the installation.
4. Open Skype and sign in by entering your Skype Name and password.

Since I am one who likes to keep my own software archive in case I run into a problem, I went to skype's webpage directly to download this update.

Now, this is where it gets interesting!

Before I did the download, I took a look to see what version of Skype I'm currently running. The info from the "Help|About" screen is in the attached picture. I also looked at when I downloaded and installed this version (based on the modified date of the last install I downloaded) and that was July 17th. So, going by the quote on the KB article, it looks like there is a new version of Skype that came out on August 14th (10 days ago now).

So, I continue to download this "new" version of the installer directly from the skype webpage. All of the setup exe's are named the same (SkypeSetup.exe) regardless of the version number. Once the download was done, I went and looked at the Details and Digital Signature Tab (file properties).

I was surprised that the file I had downloaded today matched the one I downloaded back on July 17th. Information on both the Details and Digital Signature tab were the same!

So, my question then is, where is the August 14th update? All I can get from Skype is the one that was released (per the Digital Signature date) on Friday, July 13th.

I also want to point out that if I go check Windows Update, I am not offered this. If I also go into skype, and do the "Check for update", it tells me that I am running the latest version.

Could there be a mistake on the KB article published by Microsoft? Was it suppose to read "Skype released Skype 5.10 for Windows on July 14, 2012..." instead of "Skype released Skype 5.10 for Windows on August 14, 2012..." ? Going by the digital signature date/time of the current setup offered from Skype, it appears that is what happened. But, that is just a guess on my part. However, I would think that if Skype did release an update on the 14th of August, it should have been posted to their webpage by now. Not to mention when I do a check for updates via the program itself, it would either install this August 14th update, or inform me of it.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5
reply to Gone Fishing

Why would I want Skype just because MS bought it? If I wanted it I would have gotten it previously....I hope my MS update doesn't try to give me some software I don't want.

MSeng
Premium,Ex-Mod 2001-08
join:2000-07-13
Ork
kudos:6

1 recommendation

If you actually took the the time to read the KB article you would know that not to be the case.

"*Skype will automatically be updated only on PCs where Skype is already present. It will not be automatically installed on any PC that doesn’t already have Skype."

--
A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer.

DelmarPip
Premium
join:2011-10-15
Brownsville, TX
reply to Gone Fishing

so with this version you can now make FREE calls and recieve FREE calls ?

if this is true wow thanks microsofts

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

said by DelmarPip:

so with this version you can now make FREE calls and recieve FREE calls ?

free skype to skype calls have always been there.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

Ruggero

join:2012-08-10
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast

1 edit
reply to plencnerb

plencnerb, Anyone looking at the data would have to agree.

Picking up the story where Back to the Future left off:

»blogs.skype.com/garage/windows/

Hotfix for multiple Skype clients

July 2012, We are rolling out a hotfix over the next few days for multiple Skype clients to address a couple of known issues.

The affected Skype clients are:

* Skype 5.10 for Windows
* Skype 5.8 for Mac
* Skype 4.0 for Linux
* Skype 1.2 for Windows Phone

We can assure that users of Skype 5.9 for Windows... have not been affected.

"If it ain't broke - break it."

I've had enough practical jokes for one evening. Good night,

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

Ruggero,

After doing some thinking on this, and looking at the link you posted, I think I have figured out what is going on.

In July 2012, Skype released version 5.10.0.116 as a "hotfix". In all reality, its not really a hotfix in the same terms that Microsoft would use it, but a new version of their software.

With the partnership between Microsoft and Skype, it probably took Microsoft about a month to package up that update and add it to Windows update (just like they did for BING Desktop a few months back).

So, the August 14th date is probably correct as far as when Microsoft completed its process to get it up on Windows update, and available for uses to install from there. However, that is not when the update was released by Skype. Microsoft's wording of the dates in its KB article just need to be a little more clear in this regard.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

Ruggero

Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast

plencnerb, Have you had any issues with the following update: Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 redistributable (x86) August 2012? Numerous reports online claim:

"Recently, I started to get in-game stuttering in most games. At a precise interval (about 5 seconds), the game would stop for a split second which is noticeable while racing.

Whenever I did a windows restore to a previous one, it came fine. In a nut shell, I tried many things (like updating all drivers, change overclocking) etc and I finally managed to find the cause! So in my case it was windows update installing Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 redistributable (x86).

I have Windows 7 64 bit, and when windows update installed Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 redistributable (x86) the stuttering came back.

After uninstalling Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 redistributable (x86), all came fine."

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

Ruggero,

I don't believe I have that update installed. If you happen to know the KB# for it, I can verify. As far as I know, none of my programs that I have installed requires the Visuall C++ 2010 redistributable.

--Brian

Ruggero

Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast

1 edit

plencnerb, Attached is the information you requested and two other updates I would like your thoughts on. Have you installed and or experienced any issues with said. Also have you used Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool? If I hide that or another update would I be prompted with a new version in the future and could I install the new one never having installed the previous one/s without a negative effect? Thanks

IMPORTANT Update: KB2467173 MS11-025: Description of the security update for Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package: April 12, 2011

IMPORTANT Update: KB890830 Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - Microsoft

OPTIONAL Update: KB2709981 Windows Media Player 12 displays scrambled DVD content in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2

The Following pertains to feedback on IMPORTANT Update: KB2467173 MS11-025: Description of the security update for Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package: April 12, 2011 »www.geforce3d.net/news/showthrea···3-issues

The person claims: Low FPS and Windows Update KB2467173 issues

" While I was checking a few things out on the GTX 460 I had that annoying Windows update popup. So I looked and it was merely just a C++ update and a couple windows security updates. So I installed them. This is where the interesting things started.

When I loaded up Battlefield Bad Company 2 and I was normally getting around 60+ FPS. After the updates it seemed I was locked at 30 FPS. So I thought about it, the only odd update was the C++ update and right after that install and restart this started happening. So I went in and uninstalled it, rebooted and when I loaded BFBC2 it went back to the normal 60+ FPS. So, to verify this was in fact the culprit I reinstalled the update. Well, it went right back to 30 FPS in game.

The update in question is KB2467173, security update for Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package: April 12, 2011. I am not sure how or why this update would cause such an issue, but it apparently does. So if you are having trouble in game with FPS after installing this C++ security update, make sure you uninstall it and it should help return you back to the higher FPS in games. "