how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

PierJes

join:2001-04-17
Quebec, QC

[Mobile] ICS 4.0 ...

Does someone know why Bell Mobility has not yet approved ICS 4.0 for its HTC Incredible S ?

It should have been done OTA in July.
But they are keeping quiet since then.

glussier

join:2002-11-12
Montreal, QC

I read somewhere that the upgrade was to be released before the end of August. Anyway, I got tired of waiting and decided to root my phone and install a custom rom ics 4.03.

If I receive notification for the upgrade, I'll reinstall Gingerbread, unroot my phone and install the official upgrade.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to PierJes

This is what really bugs me about Android....

Google should really crack down on this crap, and make the manufacturers release timely updates... They drag it out to sell you a newer phone if you want the new OS right away...

glussier

Montreal, QC

Those who purchased an incs not locked to a service provider, have been receiving the ics upgrade. The problem is more, the service provider who wishes to install his own crap software before pushing the updates.

grunze510

join:2009-02-14
Cote Saint-Luc, QC
kudos:1

1 edit

said by glussier:

Those who purchased an incs not locked to a service provider, have been receiving the ics upgrade. The problem is more, the service provider who wishes to install his own crap software before pushing the updates.

THIS!

I mean, really? How hard can it be for the cell phone providers to put their apps in the Play Store and just ask the manufacturers to put out a super mildly customized rom with a couple of links to those on the home screen. That way, not only would it help with timely updates, but it would also not waste storage space by including non-removable apps from the system partition.

/rant

EDIT: Minor edit. space -> storage space.

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:6
reply to PierJes

Simple fix;

1. Root your phone.
2. Find a custom ROM that you like and load it on.

PierJes

Quebec, QC

said by JCohen:

Simple fix;

1. Root your phone.
2. Find a custom ROM that you like and load it on.

Too complicated for me.

Then again...
»mobilesyrup.com/2012/08/10/htc-i···-august/

But it remains to be seen...

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:6

Time to learn how to root your phone and load a custom ROM
»mobilesyrup.com/2012/08/27/bell-···ith-ics/

PierJes

Quebec, QC

said by JCohen:

Time to learn how to root your phone and load a custom ROM
»mobilesyrup.com/2012/08/27/bell-···ith-ics/

I'm not very good nor lucky in those kind of things.
Something always go wrong and I end up with a defective device.

But I've learned my lesson.
No more HTC.
Nothing from Bell.

cog_biz_user
i ruin threads apparently

join:2011-04-19
Hamilton, ON
reply to grunze510

said by grunze510:

I mean, really? How hard can it be for the cell phone providers to put their apps in the Play Store and just ask the manufacturers to put out a super mildly customized rom with a couple of links to those on the home screen. That way, not only would it help with timely updates, but it would also not waste storage space by including non-removable apps from the system partition.

bell's apps are in the market. i removed the apk's manually with a root application. i have to put them back when i do an android update, because it will fail if i don't.

that said, i agree that cell providers shouldn't be bundling their updates with garbage. do what you need to do to make it work on your network (if anything at all) and leave it at that.

oh, and moto releases ics for atrix in "late q3 2012", i wonder how long i'll have to wait to get that one... january?
--
Myth: It's only fair to pay for quality first-run movies.
Fact: Most movies shown on cable get two stars or less
and are repeated ad nauseum.

glussier

Montreal, QC

2 edits
reply to PierJes

The problem is not htc, it's Bell. Ics was already released non carrier lock htc Incredible s and for some carrier locked in Europe and Asian countries.

The real problem here, is that Bell want's us tu purchase new phones.

Edited for the following comment

I have been running the stock ics rom on my Incs for the best part of the summer. I'm planning on rolling back to Gingerbread. Ics is a little too heavy for a 1ghz single core arm processor with only 768MB of ram.

glussier

Montreal, QC

The INCS Canadian NAM (Canada) ICS upgrade, is now available from the htcdev website. Forget about a Bell release, but if you want the stock ICS upgrade without s-offing and routing your phone, you can get-it from »htcdev.com/devcenter/downloads.

The only thing you'll be lacking, is the Bell bloatware. But, if you want part or all of that bloatware, it is available on the Google play store.

glussier

Montreal, QC
reply to glussier

The INCS Canadian NAM (Canada) ICS upgrade, is now available from the htcdev website. Forget about a Bell release, but if you want the stock ICS upgrade without s-offing and routing your phone, you can get-it from »htcdev.com/devcenter/downloads.

The only thing you'll be lacking, is the Bell bloatware. But, if you want part or all of that bloatware, it is available on the Google play store.

BTW, this is a stock non routed and no s-off upgrade, so, if your device is still under warranty, you shouldn't lose-it.

urbang33k

join:2010-02-13
Canada
kudos:1
reply to PierJes

This happened to me also years ago when I bought a motorola DEXT. it came with Android 1.7(iirc) and on the motorola website they said they were going to update the DEXT to 2.0. Well it didn't happen... motorola renigged for some, but not all, of the Motorola DEXTs and CLIQs. I had to root and go with a custom rom but the phone never ran smoothly. Left a bad taste in my mouth over both Android and Motorola.

Before i bought that phone I was fairly anti-mac, but after that experience, I bought an iPhone 4S and have never had an issue with it. If apple keeps up their track record, it will be a while before it becomes orphan-ware. I hate that it doesn't have a physical keyboard, but I can live with it.
I hate itunes also, but I can live with it.
--
Opinions and ideas expressed in my post are my own and in no way represent those of Bell Canada Enterprises, Bell Canada, Bell TV, Bell Internet, Bell Mobility, Bell Technical Solutions, Expertech, or any other partners under the BCE umbrella.

glussier

Montreal, QC
reply to PierJes

I'm never going to install Apple software on my windows computer, itune, quicktime or others. So, an iphone is out of the question.

BellHTCIncS

@dow.com
reply to urbang33k

I have SIM unlocked my Bell Incredible S. (Purchased the code online). Will the phone re-locked after I upgraded to this new ICS 4.0 ROM from HTCDev website?

glussier

Montreal, QC

No it won't relock.

Expand your moderator at work