kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to iknow

Re: Deadly Amoebas Found in Tankless Water Heater

said by iknow:

said by pike:

said by Lurch77:

I'm curious, just how many people have died from organisms in hot water tanks?

»www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article···2094925/

Probably not a whole lot. However, one doesn't necessarily need to die to be seriously inconvenienced by a bacterial infection.
said by Jack_in_VA:

You do realize you can run yours at any temperature you want and feel comfortable with don't you?

I think Jack said it best here.

Not really worth arguing about but it's nice to have some facts behind whatever decision each homeowner ultimately makes.

the fact that death can occur means that any action other than to make sure the water is safe by setting a temperature that kills at least enough organisms is nothing other that rolling the dice, you may live, or you may die, your family and anyone else that uses the water is rolling the dice too. some people like to gamble, it makes life interesting.

The CDC recommends the temperature be no hotter than 120 degrees. That is all I need for justification.

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to iknow

said by iknow:

said by pike:

said by Lurch77:

I'm curious, just how many people have died from organisms in hot water tanks?

»www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article···2094925/

Probably not a whole lot. However, one doesn't necessarily need to die to be seriously inconvenienced by a bacterial infection.
said by Jack_in_VA:

You do realize you can run yours at any temperature you want and feel comfortable with don't you?

I think Jack said it best here.

Not really worth arguing about but it's nice to have some facts behind whatever decision each homeowner ultimately makes.

the fact that death can occur means that any action other than to make sure the water is safe by setting a temperature that kills at least enough organisms is nothing other that rolling the dice, you may live, or you may die, your family and anyone else that uses the water is rolling the dice too. some people like to gamble, it makes life interesting.

Then you should stop eating, drinking, and breathing because there might be something in the food, liquid, or air that COULD cause death.

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink
reply to Bob4

Before we moved into this house the hot water heater was shut off for several months. The hot water developed a hydrogen sulfide smell. I was going to be away for the weekend before we moved in, so I set the thermostats to 160 degrees measured with a candy thermometer at the faucet. I set the temperature back to 125 degrees after I returned. No more smell.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 recommendation

reply to kherr

said by kherr:

It' a stupid for ANYONE with kids to set it higher

Yeah, right, like a kid is actually going to wash his hands!

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
reply to pike

said by pike:

Huh? Most sources I have read indicate a minimum setting of 140°F to prevent the growth of Legionella and other harmful bacteria.

*Unless you live in US, where lawyers will suffer through 10 agonizing seconds of keeping their hands under hot water in order to sue.

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
reply to Bob4

I have a tank for storage, it's fed by ~150-160F water from the boiler. It's own thermostat is set at 140F, just in case... mixing valve at output takes care of any scalding issue.

iknow
Premium
join:2012-03-25
reply to Jack_in_VA

said by Jack_in_VA:

The CDC recommends the temperature be no hotter than 120 degrees. That is all I need for justification.

yeah, at the FAUCETS!. anyway, remember when OSHA said the air around the world trade center was safe to breath after 9/11?.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom

said by iknow:

said by Jack_in_VA:

yeah, at the FAUCETS!. anyway, remember when OSHA said the air around the world trade center was safe to breath after 9/11?.

Well like I said you are free to set yours at whatever temperature that you are comfortable with. It's a personal choice.

iknow
Premium
reply to ropeguru

said by ropeguru:

Then you should stop eating, drinking, and breathing because there might be something in the food, liquid, or air that COULD cause death.

heck no, i'll not drink contaminated water, eat bad food, and breath in dangerous air, i'll not be a passenger in a car with a drunk driver either!. i'll do anything that is common sense to do, and can be done. this is something that can be easily avoided. everyone dies of something, but people don't have to die from water!.

iknow
Premium
reply to cowboyro

said by cowboyro:

I have a tank for storage, it's fed by ~150-160F water from the boiler. It's own thermostat is set at 140F, just in case... mixing valve at output takes care of any scalding issue.

i do mine the same way.. mine is an indirect water heater though.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to iknow

said by iknow:

said by ropeguru:

heck no, i'll not drink contaminated water, eat bad food, and breath in dangerous air, i'll not be a passenger in a car with a drunk driver either!. i'll do anything that is common sense to do, and can be done. this is something that can be easily avoided. everyone dies of something, but people don't have to die from water!.

Is this the Howard Hughes syndrome? You don't know if the water is contaminated or the food is bad unless you have it tested. You don't know if the air contains harmful particles or the air bags in the vehicle you are in are operable. In short you can't possibly know about things that are potentially harmful or not.

iknow
Premium

said by Jack_in_VA:

said by iknow:

said by ropeguru:

Is this the Howard Hughes syndrome? You don't know if the water is contaminated or the food is bad unless you have it tested. You don't know if the air contains harmful particles or the air bags in the vehicle you are in are operable. In short you can't possibly know about things that are potentially harmful or not.

what? you would get in a car with a driver that is drunk? or eat a sandwich that fell in the toilet? common sense can prevent many disasters. maybe you can't believe the news about "brain-eating amoeba"??. it never happened?. maybe there is something special about you or your water supply that prevents dangerous organisms from affecting you, is so, there are many people just dying to know what it is, so lives can be saved!!.

iknow
Premium
reply to Mr Matt

said by Mr Matt:

Before we moved into this house the hot water heater was shut off for several months. The hot water developed a hydrogen sulfide smell. I was going to be away for the weekend before we moved in, so I set the thermostats to 160 degrees measured with a candy thermometer at the faucet. I set the temperature back to 125 degrees after I returned. No more smell.

here's the cause of that. »ohioline.osu.edu/aex-fact/0319.html

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to Lurch77

Nobody knows, but it's infinitesimal. Or the fear mongers would have already told us all about it.

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to iknow

said by iknow:

what? you would get in a car with a driver that is drunk? or eat a sandwich that fell in the toilet? common sense can prevent many disasters. maybe you can't believe the news about "brain-eating amoeba"??. it never happened?. maybe there is something special about you or your water supply that prevents dangerous organisms from affecting you, is so, there are many people just dying to know what it is, so lives can be saved!!.

His point is that if you go out to eat, how can you ABSOLUTELY be sure there are no contaminants in the food. When you walk outside, how can you be ABSOLUTELY sure that maybe something hasn't happened close by that could have contaminated the air you are breathing. You cannot for any of these.

You sir live with a totally unrealistic idea about the world and what is around you.

Stumbles

join:2002-12-17
Port Saint Lucie, FL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

3 recommendations

reply to Bob4

Everyone is missing the real culprit here; that dihyrdogen monoxide is being used as a transport medium for an infectious animal.

As such the people involved with the installation of water heaters, its plumbing, government water treatment facilities, residential water well drillers should all be charged with terrorist activities.

Additionally the transport medium, dihydrogen monoxide should be permanently banned and replaced with ethyl alcohol.

Most of you here are wrapped way to tightly around the axle about this to think you should worry about it.

GadgetsRme
RIP lilhurricane
Premium
join:2002-01-30
Canon City, CO

1 edit
reply to Bob4

Ya' know we really should just ban life, because it does end in death.
--
Gadgets

iknow
Premium
reply to ropeguru

said by ropeguru:

said by iknow:

His point is that if you go out to eat, how can you ABSOLUTELY be sure there are no contaminants in the food. When you walk outside, how can you be ABSOLUTELY sure that maybe something hasn't happened close by that could have contaminated the air you are breathing. You cannot for any of these.

You sir live with a totally unrealistic idea about the world and what is around you.

and i understand his point. but knowing an easy solution to a dangerous problem, and just ignoring it because they got away with it without any problems so far, is just rolling the dice, i'm sure the people that died in Louisiana didn't think about this either, but it happened to them. and of course, there's legionnaires disease, which is also fatal, with no cure. I believe in changing the things you CAN change, so, my view is not unrealistic, just common sense. letting things happen just because they CAN, or MAY not happen to you is unrealistic. proactive defense is the way to go.

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

This is only 2 people out of how many living in the US? That makes up what percentage?

True someone has to make those statistics, but I'll give into the odds of it not happening to me. I have a better chance of hitting the lottery or being stuck by lightning. So I can sleep comfy at night knowing the odds are in my favor of not getting amoebas in my water.

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium
join:2000-05-14
Martinsburg, WV
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Suddenlink
reply to Bob4

All of you arguing about water temp are forgetting that the victims used a neti pot filled with tap water.
As was said by CDC, "People who use neti pots to irrigate their nasal passages and sinuses should use only water that has been boiled, filtered or distilled."
They mean everyone no matter what temp your hot water heater is set because the amoeba can live at the faucets, far from the heat source.
--
US Border Agent Brian Terry was disarmed by the very bureaucrats that armed his killers.
"People do things the president wants to do even though it's wrong, and the president can be wrong."

iknow
Premium

said by DataDoc:

All of you arguing about water temp are forgetting that the victims used a neti pot filled with tap water.
As was said by CDC, "People who use neti pots to irrigate their nasal passages and sinuses should use only water that has been boiled, filtered or distilled."
They mean everyone no matter what temp your hot water heater is set because the amoeba can live at the faucets, far from the heat source.

if they are killed in the water heater they won't be living at the faucets in sufficient quantities. organisms thrive in warm water, and grow to dangerous amounts.

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4

You won't answer this one either, but what is a sufficient quantity to kill a person? Does it take more than one?

iknow
Premium

said by Lurch77:

You won't answer this one either, but what is a sufficient quantity to kill a person? Does it take more than one?

this should answer that, "We don't know that there's a big risk from this — most cases occur from swimming in warm, fresh water," Yoder said. In fact, of the 32 N. fowleri cases reported in the U.S. between 2002 and 2011, 28 people were infected by contaminated recreational water activities, such as swimming in lakes or rivers, and two were infected by water from a contaminated geothermal source." this goes for legionnaires disease too, warm water breeds dangerous levels, so yes, it does appear to take more than one.

Raphion

join:2000-10-14
Samsara
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Bob4

This is always such a hot topic, har har.

FWIW, I feel like the danger of hot water that's actually hot being super dangerous is a bit overblown. I've had 140+ degree hot water since I was a toddler, and never got burned. I'm not even sure how you would get burned, you'd have to do something really dumb, like standing in the water stream in such a way that you couldn't move out of it, and turn the mix to 100% hot.

140 degree water takes several seconds to produce a 1st degree burn, so you'd have to have to be really sedated/passed out not to react and get out of contact with it before you got a sunburn class "scald".

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA

1 recommendation

How about our young, elderly and disabled? Why heat the water to 140 degrees when it's not needed and costs fortune to do? I do just fine at 120 degrees.

GadgetsRme
RIP lilhurricane
Premium
join:2002-01-30
Canon City, CO

said by Jack_in_VA:

How about our young, elderly and disabled? Why heat the water to 140 degrees when it's not needed and costs fortune to do? I do just fine at 120 degrees.

+1
--
Gadgets

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
reply to Jack_in_VA

My daughter is smart enough not to hold her hands under excessively hot water.

I set my water heater to provide 125 F at the kitchen tap.

Raphion

join:2000-10-14
Samsara
reply to Jack_in_VA

To each his own ofc. I like hot water for cleaning/laundry, and it goes much farther for showers/baths. I'm not young (anymore), though it didn't hurt me when I was, not eldery quite yet, and not disabled though.

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4
reply to Bob4

Seems to me scalding hurts or kills more people than man eating microscopic creatures in the water. »www.google.com/search?q=toddler+···ie=UTF-8
If you live on your own, or have non-child people only in the household, it is fine. Be sure to warn any guests though. For me it is the other way around. In my house, I have a paraplegic child. He also cannot talk. He cannot tell us when something is hurting or not right. Water cannot get hotter than 120. I never have to worry about his nurse or anyone else accidentally scalding him.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

You obvious have a special case. But in general, parents are raising a nation of wimps.
See - »www.amazon.com/Nation-Wimps-High···67924037

For example, when I grew up, we didn't have electrical outlet covers. You were told not to stick anything in there, and if you did, you found out why and would never do it again! Get burned? You learned!