Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823

Re:  

Outlook Express won't work without javascript turned on. Even dslreports needs javascript.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

3 edits

19579823 (banned)

I always have them disabled and the site works fine for me thankfully... (faster loading,etc) ....... What happens when you try to disable them?? (On this site)

As far as outlook express and other LOCAL APPS ON YOUR COMPUTER,your right they all need scripts i believe.... (I tried once to disable scripting in my "My computer" zone and i quickly re-enabled them!!!! (Wmp wouldnt work,etc))
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

My point about Outlook Express is that you you cannot disable scripting in IE if you want OE to work correctly. IE controls OE as OE is a part of IE. The best you can do for IE scripting, if you use OE, is to set IE to prompt on scripting and that drives me nuts as there is a lot of prompting. The other thing would be to put websites that IE prompts on into the trusted zone. If you do that though then you end up with most sites in the trusted zone. Plus, it is not easy to add to the trusted zone...well, I don't know about IE 9...maybe it is easier there than in earlier versions.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to Mele20

MVM

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

Outlook Express won't work without javascript turned on. Even dslreports needs javascript.

What part of MSOE needs Javascript enabled? No SMTP/IMAP/POP3 client I have ever used requires Javascript!
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

The title page for each Identity, which I like, requires javascript. If you check the box on the bottom of the title page to "go directly to Inbox in the future" then you won't need java script.

angussf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-11
Tucson, AZ

1 recommendation

angussf to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

My point about Outlook Express is that you you cannot disable scripting in IE if you want OE to work correctly. IE controls OE as OE is a part of IE. The best you can do for IE scripting, if you use OE, is to set IE to prompt on scripting and that drives me nuts as there is a lot of prompting. The other thing would be to put websites that IE prompts on into the trusted zone. If you do that though then you end up with most sites in the trusted zone. Plus, it is not easy to add to the trusted zone...well, I don't know about IE 9...maybe it is easier there than in earlier versions.

Why on earth are you still using Outlook Express and IE?
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

I don't use IE except for Java speed tests (which also require Flash Player which I no longer allow on Fx due to the issues recently).

I use OE because it is the one Microsoft program (besides Word 2002- not any ribbon version) that I love. Why would I not use it? I have a little free program called OETool that greatly enhances OE. Plus, I have another freebie (not available for years now) called OE Freebie Backup that is great. It backs up all nine of my Identities in about two minutes including the address books, everything. Plus, it does a proper restore (some backup programs don't). I LOVE the way OE handles Identities and I am not giving this up. Microsoft completely screwed up OE in Vista by getting rid of the best thing about OE: Identities. I know Thunderbird has Identities but it has other stuff I don't like.

I still use XP Pro. OE will work on Win 7 when I get a new computer also because I would never buy a "Home" version of Windows (too much missing) and Pro version has XP as a virtual machine, plus, I run virtual machines already with XP Pro so I can continue using OE. I've used Thunderbird and I really disliked the harsh blue font and other stuff in it (that is one problem with Opera mail client currently...horrible blue font...I don't get the propensity for the ugly, hard to read blue that you see so much of in programs). Sea Monkey email client is quite a bit like OE but not nearly as good as OE and it has a lot of bugs. Opera's mail client was good until recently and now it is awful. What else is there?
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to angussf

to angussf
Whats wrong with IE and OE??

2 perfectly good programs.....

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to Mele20

MVM

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

The title page for each Identity, which I like, requires javascript. If you check the box on the bottom of the title page to "go directly to Inbox in the future" then you won't need java script.

I tried using MSOE Identities, briefly. Didn't find much use for them.
NormanS

NormanS to 19579823

MVM

to 19579823
said by 19579823:

Whats wrong with IE and OE??

2 perfectly good programs.....

I've got four perfectly good battle rifles for you; about 133 years old each, but perfectly serviceable!
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to NormanS

Premium Member

to NormanS
said by NormanS:

said by Mele20:

So, you only have one email account?

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by Mele20:

said by NormanS:

said by Mele20:

So, you only have one email account?

Who says I need one "Identity" per account?

Multiple Acounts!

angussf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-11
Tucson, AZ

angussf to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

I don't use IE except for Java speed tests (which also require Flash Player which I no longer allow on Fx due to the issues recently).

I use OE because it is the one Microsoft program (besides Word 2002- not any ribbon version) that I love. Why would I not use it? I have a little free program called OETool that greatly enhances OE. Plus, I have another freebie (not available for years now) called OE Freebie Backup that is great. It backs up all nine of my Identities in about two minutes including the address books, everything. Plus, it does a proper restore (some backup programs don't). I LOVE the way OE handles Identities and I am not giving this up. Microsoft completely screwed up OE in Vista by getting rid of the best thing about OE: Identities. I know Thunderbird has Identities but it has other stuff I don't like. ... What else is there?

You should look into Pegasus Mail as a great alternative to OE. Super Identity support. Totally immune to any IE-based attacks as it doesn't use the IE HTML engine. Actively being developed. Active support on the Pegasus Mail mailing lists and at the Pegasus Mail & Mercury Community site. Runs fine on Win7 when you get dragged, kicking and screaming, there once XP security patching stops.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

I'll certainly look into that. Thanks.

I wish you would stop with the 'kicking and screaming to Win7'. I'd already have a new computer if Dell had done proper QA on the XPS 8500. Now a bios update is to be issued but Dell is being closed mouthed about it ...maybe because the root problem appears to be the new Ivy bridge processor. I also have to wait for nVidia to fix their problems which has made it impossible for Dell to offer their cards (except for two low end OEM ones).