Premium Member
join:2006-10-19
USA

DrModem to The Pig

Premium Member

to The Pig

Re: Windows8 tells Microsoft everything you install

If you don't like it, turn it off.

It's for people who are too computer illiterate to determine if what they are installing is safe or not.

_NSAKEY, anyone?

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

1 recommendation

sivran to howardfine

Premium Member

to howardfine
I don't care what SmartScreen sends to Microsoft when it is turned on. But does it do this even if SmartScreen is turned off?
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO

Premium Member

said by sivran:

I don't care what SmartScreen sends to Microsoft when it is turned on. But does it do this even if SmartScreen is turned off?

That's a good question. I remember times (probably a decade ago) when folks have discovered, that they (and therefore anyone) can see their browsing history in IE6 and start asking m$ how to make sure, that computer does not collect it. Response was simple - you don't want to see history - we will not show it to you. And they made collected stuff just hidden from the users ... until some have discovered that and asked - WTF??? Finally m$ did it right and started actually removing history data, when users explicitly asked for it (and not just hiding from their view)... The history tends to repeat itself. Remember that?
BitWeasel
join:2012-05-22

BitWeasel to howardfine

to howardfine
This feature has "don't make a choice for the user, ASK them whether they want it enabled or disabled during setup" written all over it. I sure hope it works that way or is quickly changed.

Given the push towards app store and cloud computing, it seems likely that the computer would be associated with one or more accounts for which personal information has been provided. The potential to tie name, purchased apps, other installed apps, checked URLs, etc together is certainly there. I hope there will continue to be many security experts and privacy experts examining the SSL traffic and other aspects.

Jerrie
@sbcglobal.net

Jerrie to howardfine

Anon

to howardfine
Not true says Microsoft:
»www.theregister.co.uk/20 ··· _spying/