Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to AVD

Re: Electrical issue question

said by AVD:

open hot? no

That what it was, the meter was losing contact with 1 of 4 jaws thus one leg was dropping out for the whole house.

the problem is now fixed, though centerpoint is annoying me lately, Monday they finally came and locked the meter (when we weren't there ) and in doing so they first pulled the meter and ran "tests". then Tuesday they came back claiming they detected someone had messes with the meter, and again pulled it to inspect.

Are you saying an open Hot would not risk any damage to the device?

of course it did have a risk from arcing that it could have started a fire.

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

said by DarkLogix:

Not much greater risk then rapidly turning it on and off at the disconnect switch or the thermostat.

How vulnerable your AC to such behavior is depends on whether or not it has any protection against it (restart delay timer).
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1
reply to DarkLogix

said by DarkLogix:

now I might be wrong but it sounds to me that the main AC unit is louder than it used to be (Though I hadn't stood out there and listened to it and you still can't hear it from inside.)

Maybe someone bumped into it while working on your electrical issue and loosened a panel. Those things can make quite a whiiiring noise from the vibration. I have a bunjee cord wrapped around my AC until I get around to re-seating the panels because otherwise it would be EXTREMELY loud.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

Well its still quiet enough that it can't be heard from inside so it is possible that its all in my mind.

Just checking if the intermittant hot issue could have caused any damage.

its covered under the 10year manufacturer warrenty so if needed I'll call an AC tech to look over it, but I don't want to have him come out and say its fine if I call him out.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

said by DarkLogix:

Well its still quiet enough that it can't be heard from inside so it is possible that its all in my mind.

When it's running, go put pressure with your hand on different panels, and even the exhaust grille. If noise is caused by any of those vibrating, you'll instantly notice the difference.

It can also be in your mind
But my AC isn't noisy when I'm outside. I can hear it, yes, but nothing "loud", even when next to it.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

If I put my hand on the top right and press down it gets quieter.
could being slightly off level cause this?

its on a cement slab that's on a bit of remaining wooden deck and I think part of the deck is flexing.

I'll see if I can put something under that part of deck to better support it.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
reply to DarkLogix

said by DarkLogix:

said by AVD:

open hot? no

That what it was, the meter was losing contact with 1 of 4 jaws thus one leg was dropping out for the whole house.

the problem is now fixed, though centerpoint is annoying me lately, Monday they finally came and locked the meter (when we weren't there ) and in doing so they first pulled the meter and ran "tests". then Tuesday they came back claiming they detected someone had messes with the meter, and again pulled it to inspect.

of course it did have a risk from arcing that it could have started a fire.

my bad, an open hot would pull power through your 220 devices to power anything on the other leg. A/C unit could definitely be at risk of damage.
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

Basically all the 240v devices would have one leg hot and the other not.

The neutral was fine (to the people that thought it was an open neutral)

then I guess it'd provide some link to a hot for the down leg (though the wrong leg) and then through the 120v devices a link to neutral.

But the 240v devices couldn't operate during the time the leg was open.

Also the amount that got into the down leg when it was down wasn't enough to light anything other than a 1w night light in one of the bathrooms)

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

said by DarkLogix:

But the 240v devices couldn't operate during the time the leg was open.

do, but if they were on, electricity could flow from the good leg through the appliance to equipment on the down leg to neutral. This current could be detrimental to the device.

I had a similar problem in my co-op where the system had two independent breakers for the main. I mentioned to an EE in my office that my apartment had funny things going on, and he advised me to insist that a mechanical connection be provided between the breakers to protect my 220 appliances.
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

So now that the issue is resolved should I get an AC tech to look at the AC unit?

I'm not worried about the dryer.