Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA

The cloud....

The cloud is without a doubt the future. Simply because companies are pushing for it and consumers have to go along for the ride, like it or not.

Personally, I have not bought a console since the Dreamcast. I don't plan to ever buy anything newer. If I can't buy a physical game, resell it or buy used games with no restrictions, I don't want it. And pay $60 for a new game? Not going to happen.

tim_k
Buttons, Bows, Beamer, Shadow, Kasey
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-02
Stewartstown, PA
kudos:40
said by silbaco:

If I can't buy a physical game, resell it or buy used games with no restrictions, I don't want it. And pay $60 for a new game? Not going to happen.

That's what burns me with Steam games.
--
RIP my babies Buttons 1/15/94-2/9/07, Beamer 7/24/08, & Bows 12/17/94-10/11/09

dra6o0n

join:2011-08-15
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·ITalkBB
reply to silbaco
I don't mind cloud based gaming, but only if:
1) Done right, not buggy, not full of holes or flaws.
2) Consists of multiplayer games only, because it makes no sense to make a single player game cloud only.

MMO and competitive multiplayer games would benefit from server-sided cloud based interfaces for games, as it would disallow players to cheat and maybe depending on the latency offer a decent resolution to gaming...

The issue though would be for High Definition level games, since Onlive's games can be very blurry and annoying to play with, and the delays in controls gets bad...

Cloud shouldn't be like onlive and be only 'video', but special interfaces that's more than videos...

For instance a game client can exist, maybe a universal one that uses a little bit of the client's computing power for trivial calculation that hackers or cheaters don't care about, but the server manages the rest. The server can stream in 'contents' not in form of video but data, for the clients to read and use, but once the client is closed, the 'data' in raw form will vanish.

Essentially a 'temporary' file format in a sense, that's tiny enough to be used?