Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

Approved Modem List

Do we know what modems (Docsis 3) will work with Rogers?

I need to change to qualify for their higher cap. Somehow, Docsis 2 means you get lower caps.

Secondly, I have my OWN network set-up, if I purchase from Rogers, how easy is it to get their $99 modem? No direct link on there site.

I find myself using a lot of GB since getting HuluPlus...Netflix doesn't help either.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable

They sell / rent out 3 modems ...

For lower tiers ...

A cisco (SA) gateway
The SMC gateway

For highest tier ...

A Hitron gateway

They don't have "Modem only" modems available. You can get the gateways put in bridge mode, but Rogers have the habit of pumping out upgrades or changing passwords, resetting the thing to a gateway.

If you want a higher cap, go to a TPIA ... and pay less. Yes, there may be a few hiccups in setup but they get it sorted eventually (Rogers has issues to sort out in the provisioning process).

With a TPIA you can get a "modem only" unit and not these modem router combo gateways.

yyzlhr

@rogers.com

The Cisco one will work with the New Ultimate tier as well.

Also, if you're buying from a 3rd party source you'll likely run into trouble activating the device as a D3 modem on Rogers network even if it's a modem that they use themselves.

yyzlhr

@rogers.com
reply to J E F F

The $99 modem is a D2 modem.

If you have your own network setup and want to buy a modem, the easiest way is to buy their Cisco D3 Gateway for $149.99 and put it into bridge mode.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
reply to J E F F

General concensus is to avoid the SMC

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to sbrook

Can't do a third party for at least another 20 months or so. Got a good deal on cable (75% discount on VIP cable) so that's the way it is.

I did see the Motorola Surf at Newegg. Appears to be the same one that is on the Rogers page that is listed as $99 but doesn't have any links to the sell site...blasted. I will not go for one of those damned wireless ones.

Not sure if Rogers wants to deal with me again...or vice versa.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to sbrook

said by sbrook:

General concensus is to avoid the SMC

That's what I heard...I have a DSL SMC and it wasn't a good device.

I don't understand why they advertise the standard modem:

--

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa

Interesting ... they are reportedly not selling the standard modem to anyone except for the "ultra lite" package any more.

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

said by sbrook:

Interesting ... they are reportedly not selling the standard modem to anyone except for the "ultra lite" package any more.

Can't seem to find where they are even selling that device, yet it shows for the higher tiers.

What would the reason be for them not wanting people to have the simple modem?
--

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa

If I remember right the simple modem is a D2 modem a surfboard 51xx where the D3s are 61xx

Then there's the tinfoil hat reason ... a D3 gateway lets them dig further into your network and control how your network is configured.

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

I can get the 61** from Newegg for $99...just wondering if I should bite. Or is it byte. Either way, Rogers isn't making this easy. Ahh...should have never discovered Netflix, Huluplus and Megashares.
--

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa

Rogers are really quite unwilling to provision 3rd party purchased modems. There are several threads in here about the fun people have had trying to get 61xx modems provisioned. A few were successful ... many gave up

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON

Man.....that really sucks....so buying one from newegg is a bad idea...though teksavvy sure would take it...
--

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa

That's what's so ludicrous. Rogers won't provision modems they've approved for TPIAs and they won't approve any of their modems for TPIAs when they haven't charged the TPIA an arm and a leg to test them!

noway1

join:2004-11-29
reply to J E F F

said by J E F F:

What would the reason be for them not wanting people to have the simple modem?

The usual reasons, greed and profit.

ArthurWinsl

@rogers.com

Just a FYI the SMC D3GN is now 99.99 at the Rogers mall kiosks.

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

said by ArthurWinsl :

Got a link on that? I might just run down to the mall and get it, despite the fact that it's a piece of sh*t modem.
--

grand total

join:2005-10-26
Mississauga
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Anveo
·VMedia

said by J E F F:

said by ArthurWinsl :

Got a link on that? I might just run down to the mall and get it, despite the fact that it's a piece of sh*t modem.

I think it's a bad idea. Just because you can buy an SMCD3GN (4X4) for $100 doesn't make it a good modem when you can buy a DPC3825 (8X4) for $133 plus shipping.
--
DPC3825 - WRT610N - SPA2102 - Asterisk 1.8.11.0 with Asterisk GUI on Virtual Server
Anveo - Voxbeam - Localphone - Numbergroup - Callcentric- VoIP.MS - UKDDI

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
reply to J E F F

The SMC modem isn't bad ... it's the router that's the most complained about.

yylhr

@rogers.com

The SMC modem is a fine modem, however $99 isn't a great deal. If you internet needs change down the road, you may need a modem that supports 8x4 channel bonding. It just makes sense to spend the extra $50 to get a modem that supports that.

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

said by yylhr :

The SMC modem is a fine modem, however $99 isn't a great deal. If you internet needs change down the road, you may need a modem that supports 8x4 channel bonding. It just makes sense to spend the extra $50 to get a modem that supports that.

Doesn't matter, they pulled everyone off of the shelf and returned them to Rogers, they didn't want these particular Docsis 3 modems being sold.
--

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

I suggest that you get the DPC3825, put it in bridge mode, connect it to your router and enjoy. As a modem the DPC3825 does a very good job.

grand total

join:2005-10-26
Mississauga
kudos:2

+1