join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·WIND Mobile

[Parts Check] Thunderbolt Header

My Motherboard (P8Z77-V) has the thunderbolt header... but no port per se. Does anyone know how I'd go about getting the actual port?

I'm assuming this would also involve a BiOS upgrade if and when I can actually find the part to hook up to the header.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·WIND Mobile

Actually I already knew the answer to this, which is the ThunderboltEX card featured here.

»www.pcper.com/news/Motherboards/···erboards

My bad, I shoud've said yes to the second coffee...

Mods can lock this if they feel's a double post because I know we've talked about his before.

Sorry guys...
--

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1

1 edit

Right we did talk about the ASUS ThunderboltEX card before. However, you seem to be overlooking or misunderstanding what was said before.

Apparently ASUS is having trouble certifying their ThunderboltEX card initiative with Intel. The ThunderboltEX card has basically everything on it necessary for Thunderbolt support such as the controller, Thunderbolt port and so on. The "TB_Header" on the motherboard would seem to be a simple type of DisplayPort passthrough from the processors on-chip video subsystem but I'm not really sure.

One thing is for sure though, Thunderbolt won't work on these boards unless ASUS can get them to market and they may not get to market without Intel certification.

The problem with the certification is in part dude to the way video can be used on these motherboards with the ThunderboltEX cards.

One of the reasons we don't see higher-end X79 motherboards (recall that the X79 platform is a higher-end solution then Z77) with Thunderbolt is presumably because Intel video is a requirement of the spec. So I suspect that it was possible to splice in non-Intel video using the ASUS ThinderboltEX card in a way that violated the spec.

Anyway, we were supposed to see ASUS ThunderboltEX addin cards at or near the launch of Ivy Bridge so it's a very bad sign they aren't here at this late stage of the game. They may never make it to market,....

If Thunderbolt support was on the box ASUS may be in for some class action legal issues,...

***edit***

Here is where we talked about it before:

»Thunderbolt and the future of the PC as we know it?

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·WIND Mobile

said by Octavean:

Here is where we talked about it before:

»Thunderbolt and the future of the PC as we know it?

I remembered that thead when I posted my reply.

What prompted this OP, was that I was on NCIX's site today and I saw some updated P8Z77's with the actual TB port, so I (perhaps erroneously) assumed that getting a hookup of some sort for the TB_header was now possible, and I might not have to go the ThunderboltEX route.
--

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

1 edit
reply to El Quintron

ASUS has only a few motherboard models that actually have full Thunderbolt support built in. There is the P8PZ77-V Premium and the P8PZ77-V Pro THUNDERBOLT Models but there may be more that I am not aware of.

The Thunderbolt "TB_Header" was to be a solution to give full Thunderbolt support to select cheaper Asus motherboards when used in conjunction with the ASUS ThunderboltEX addin card. Most of the ASUS P8PZ77-V xxxx line has the header.

However, it seems Intel doesn't like the ASUS implementation and we may never see this product come to market.

***edit***

Given your problems with your motherboard before RMA maybe you can step up to a model with full Thunderbolt support if that is a feature you want. I understand that you are pleased with the replacement board though.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·WIND Mobile

said by Octavean:

However, it seems Intel doesn't like the ASUS implementation and we may never see this product come to market.

That would irritate me a lot, let's hope that Intel and Asus sort it out before it gets forgotten about.
--

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

I really liked the idea of the ASUS ThunderboltEX add-in card solution.  It was an elegant solution that potentially reduced cost by making it an option to buying a full Thunderbolt capable motherboard. It also increased the number of ASUS motherboards with Thunderbolt support,..potentially.

It was smart,...really smart,......maybe too smart.

Plus no other manufacturer had taken this approach so it was unique too.

I hate to see this product held back,....

Still, perhaps a redesign could get the ASUS ThunderboltEX card out the door and into the market.  Not sure how they could do this though,....

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
reply to El Quintron

More on the ASUS Thunderbolt solution:

»www.anandtech.com/show/5935/asus···erboards

Thunderbolt reality:

»semiaccurate.com/2012/06/06/inte···derbolt/

Hint: It sucks.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
reply to Octavean

Who knows, they might release it in Asia and we'll be able to import it.
--