how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Rojo_P

join:2001-10-03
Lancaster, OH

Help for older gamer

First I am hoping this is the appropriate forum as I have questions about modern PC games.

I had an injury to my left hand that makes it extremely hard to play modern FPS games, which was always my favorite type of game. I really enjoyed the old Doom and Quake games as they didn’t require much in the way of left had action (two fingers are fairly functional). A few years ago I bought Far Cry and Crysis and found them practically unplayable, not only due to the need for good use of both hands, but my reflexes are not what they used to be.
Does anyone know of FPS games that use a mouse almost exclusively?
I have been thinking that I may need to go to RPGs for some PC gaming. Are most of these games playable with a mouse or one with hand?
Any advice or list of games that might fit my situation would be appreciated.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

I think the Dragon Age RPGs are click-to-move and they let you pause to queue up abilities, so they may be able to accommodate your situation.

Blockfire
Sarcasm is my native tongue

join:2010-02-11
Wichita, KS
kudos:1

have you tried using the mouse in your left hand and remapping keys to the right side of the keyboard. Most modern games are very open to remapping keys.

Possibly a gamepad on the right hand also?

facepalm

join:2012-08-20
Lumberton, TX
reply to Rojo_P

Both good suggestions. The Dragon Age games would be worth trying. The play is easy to adjust to. Both should be inexpensive too.

I like the mouse suggestion as well. That would open a world of possibilities.

I'm an old fps guy myself (actually go back to Wolfenstein. Good times. lol) Good luck and let us know how it works out.
--
Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to Rojo_P

Is a wireless Xbox controller for Windows an option?

I bought one in the last few months and it works flawlessly for PC games.

aelingil
Mmm Burnt Toast
Premium
join:2008-10-22
Mesa, AZ
reply to Rojo_P

I know some games will allow Joysticks to be used. I had a friend who played Joystick / Mouse in some FPS. All his joystick did was movement, jump, & crouch. the rest was done with the mouse. (cycle through weapons, look, fire etc)

As for games. I do not know many FPS that do not require movement with the 2nd hand. There are some fun RTS that can be done with only the mouse. any of the NWN or SWTOR games work wonders with 1 hand. You just hit Spacebar and freeze the game, do your moves and watch the battle happen.
--
Tanner: I need to waste my time, my clients time and another techs time, just to fix a problem with you server & filters?
Tech Joseph: Yes, you are correct.

TK421
Premium
join:2004-12-19
Canada
reply to Ghastlyone

said by Ghastlyone:

Is a wireless Xbox controller for Windows an option?

I bought one in the last few months and it works flawlessly for PC games.

Looks like you've already found the solution. I was going to suggest a gamepad. Most current FPS games on PC support the X-Box controller right out of the box.

Rojo_P

join:2001-10-03
Lancaster, OH

1 edit
reply to Rojo_P

Thanks for your suggestions guys. I will keep all these in mind.

The gamepad and xbox controller ideas look very interesting.

Can I assume that gamepads or controllers have methods or software that assigns keyboard and mouse functions for use in most games?
--
There's nothing big I want to prove,
No mountains that I need to move,
Or even claim what's right or true for you.

Blockfire
Sarcasm is my native tongue

join:2010-02-11
Wichita, KS
kudos:1

yes, and some of the nicer ones actually have presets for big games and software that makes this a cinch.

tim_k
Buttons, Bows, Beamer, Shadow, Kasey
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-02
Stewartstown, PA
kudos:36
reply to Rojo_P

There are one handed game controllers that may work with FPS games. There are some cheaper than this but the company filters are stopping me from getting to some of those sites. »www.broadenedhorizons.com/one-ha···ntroller
--
RIP my babies Buttons 1/15/94-2/9/07, Beamer 7/24/08, & Bows 12/17/94-10/11/09