share rss forum feed

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1

Trip to NC

I was thinking about running my APRS rig again on maybe my last time for this Kenwood radio last time I ran it, it just locked up somehow.. maybe it happened because I was running it from a 12V jump pack battery and maybe when it went to TX it fell below some set voltage amount or whatever.

Someone here told me about a huge gap I think someplace along the Carolinas.. My area would be from CT to Moore County then (most likely) going to the the outer banks then to Moore county.
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

jacour
Premium
join:2001-12-11
Matthews, NC
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

I don't know what client you have, but when I was running XASTIR I could get an Internet feed from FireNet that showed every stations on APRS. Let the feed go for a few hours (since some stations report less frequently) and then superimpose the highways you intend to use from a TIGER map and you should be able to see the coverage along your intended route.

GeekNJ
Premium
join:2000-09-23
Waldwick, NJ
reply to Subaru

This was a trip back in 2008 - »www.k2dsl.com/2008/12/01/aprs/ . I had a big gap along I-40 in NC heading to Wilmington. It wasn't this way on 1 trip but multiple trips.

This is the same trip in 2009 - »www.k2dsl.com/2009/08/10/aprs-be···e-in-nc/ and you can see at least a couple of beacons were captured, though not many.

I've taken the same trip/route a few times since then though I'm not sure if I was running APRS. I'll look and see if I can find any trips captured on APRS.fi.
--
Tweaked your connection? | Mail Parse | Speed Converter

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
reply to Subaru

When's your trip?

If it's this coming weekend, you need to hang a big right and c'mon to the Shelby Hamfest.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1

I would not be leaving until most likely very late on Saturday night, amazing people pull you left and right until the very last second.

SmokChsr
Who let the magic smoke out?
Premium
join:2006-03-17
Saint Augustine, FL
reply to Subaru

Might as well just do it, you never know when another APRS station might drop into an open area, or the bands will open and you gap gets filled by a station hundreds of miles away.

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2
reply to Subaru

Sounds like you're heading to Charlotte?