join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD
kudos:1
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·Comcast

2 recommendations

Window 8 tattles to MS about EVERY app you install

The default configuration of Windows 8 is to immediately tattle to Microsoft about every app you download and install.

quote:
According to Microsoft, SmartScreen sends a hash of the app installer and its digital signature, if any. A combination of the hash and the user’s IP address is still enough to identify that IP address x attempted to install software y.
Another researcher has discovered that a filename of the app you’re trying to install is indeed sent to Microsoft. This severely strengthens privacy concerns.
Windows 8 Tells Microsoft About Everything You Install

I've decided that Windows 8 will NOT be allowed on ANY computer under my control, nor will it be recommended to any of my friends, acquaintances, neighbors or casual chit-chat encounters.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

3 recommendations

said by newview:

I've decided that Windows 8 will NOT be allowed on ANY computer under my control, nor will it be recommended to any of my friends, acquaintances, neighbors or casual chit-chat encounters.

+1

Trouble is new PC's will only come with Win8 in the near future.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by StuartMW:

said by newview:

+1

Trouble is new PC's will only come with Win8 in the near future.

Ditto. I will stick with my old XP Pro. SP3, 64-bit 7, Mac OS X, and Linux/Debian. :P Maybe W9 will be good.
--
Ant @ AQFL.net and AntFarm.ma.cx. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use this forum or better, »community.norton.com ! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

aussiedog

join:2007-01-10
Colorado Springs, CO
reply to newview

As with all new Windows OS releases there is always a bit of personal tweaking that must be done for various reasons. There will always be found some way around intrusive behavior, in this case provided by Microsoft:

"While SmartScreen is enabled by default, it's possible for users to turn it off. Also, it's worth noting that Microsoft is hardly alone in this regard, given the rise of app stores over the past several year."
--
If I can only find my keys...

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire
kudos:13
reply to newview

and more comments
»Windows8 tells Microsoft everything you install

Cudni

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
reply to aussiedog

said by aussiedog:

As with all new Windows OS releases there is always a bit of personal tweaking that must be done for various reasons.

Of course. All versions of Windows I use are highly customized via registry tweaks etc. No doubt I could do the same for Win8.

As I said in another thread Win8 will NOT run in Microsoft's own Virtual PC. Microsoft wants you to dedicate a machine to evaluating it. Thus, although I have a Win8 evaluation ISO, it sits gathering dust as I have no intention of purchasing another box or HD. Yes I know I could dual-boot or use different virtual machine software but I'm unwilling to go to those lengths.

I may, or may not, purchase the Win8 upgrade for the special $14.95 price (I qualify for it) just in case I change my mind. If I do I'll make damn sure I have (HD image) backups of Win7 and have all the info I need to tweak it (turn off SmartScreen etc) before installing.
--

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big

1 recommendation

reply to newview

This is getting tiresome.

I'm not sure what's so wonderful about Win8 that would justify all this, but anything being sent home needs to be opt-in. And Microsoft of all people should know that.

When did they decide to become evil?

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

said by goalieskates:

did I miss a sarcasm tag?
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
reply to goalieskates

said by goalieskates:

It's not just Microsoft, This seems to be a trend in the industry

Just more stuff to feed Bob et al.
--

coldmoon
Premium
join:2002-02-04
Broadway, NC
Reviews:
·Windstream

said by StuartMW:

said by goalieskates:

It's not just Microsoft, This seems to be a trend in the industry

Just more stuff to feed Bob et al.

It may also be an opportunity for third party developers; especially those in the privacy niche...
--
Returnil - 21st Century body armor for your PC

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
reply to newview

A new day, a new story about Windows 8
What were they thinking doing all of that crap...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

1 recommendation

said by OZO:

What were they thinking doing all of that crap...

free publicity!!!!11
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17

I think that will cost them big money

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
reply to StuartMW

Thing is, how many people truly know about all these nasty things about Windows 8 to actually downgrade to Windows 7 instead so hopefully 8 crashes and burns?

AnonFTW

@rr.com
reply to OZO

It's a HASH of the app and it's designed to help filter malicious apps. It's been around since IE9: »blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2011···ion.aspx

AnonFTW

@rr.com
reply to coldmoon

Not really, because you can turn it off.

BTW, it's already active if you have IE9 installed on Windows 7.

therube

join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD
reply to AnonFTW

SmartScreen was discussed here, Study: IE8's SmartScreen leads in malware protection & here, How Microsoft Could Deal Malware a Deadly Blow.

Dr Tweak

join:2004-09-23
Chesapeake, VA
reply to newview

So you guys really think this is new to Windows 8?

amungus
Premium
join:2004-11-26
America
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·KCH Cable
reply to therube

I think Win 8 takes this a step further, beyond just the browser...

In any case, this is well said, and deserves discussion:

"This is a very serious privacy problem, specifically because Microsoft is the central point of authority and data collection/retention here and therefore becomes vulnerable to being served judicial subpoenas or National Security Letters intended to monitor targeted users. This situation is exacerbated when Windows 8 is deployed in countries experiencing political turmoil or repressive political situations."

Indeed - while it seems like a good idea at the outset, to stop malware, what's to stop a system on the receiving end of this kind of information from instantly passing on further information to other sources?

Who watches the watchers?

At what point does having "program x" mean that you've been flagged? By whom?

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

said by amungus:

...while it seems like a good idea at the outset...

Well the justification for many kinds of privacy invasion follows the same basic theme

"It's to protect the children"
"It's to protect citizens from terrorists"

"It's to protect you from malware"

Yet again what might (without any thought) sound like a good idea may have unintended (or intended but secret) consequences,
--

Cartel
Premium
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
reply to newview

Don't forget the kill switch

»Microsoft Includes Kill Switch In Windows 8

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7

1 edit
reply to newview

Microsoft denies Windows 8 app spying via SmartScreen

The thought of Microsoft getting a log of every application stored on a client system predictably got some in the IT community's hackles up. Stories like this elicit fears in some quarters that all the data is fed back to a secret room in Redmond, where it is examined by the FBI, RIAA, or the Rand Corporation, in conjunction with the saucer people, under the supervision of the reverse vampires.

"We can confirm that we are not building a historical database of program and user IP data," a spokesperson told El Reg. "Like all online services, IP addresses are necessary to connect to our service, but we periodically delete them from our logs. As our privacy statements indicate, we take steps to protect our users’ privacy on the backend. We don’t use this data to identify, contact or target advertising to our users and we don’t share it with third parties."

As for concerns over the leakage of material via SSLv2.0, Microsoft said that it will not use this protocol with Windows 8 and that SmartScreen does not support that version. Kobeissi notes that 14 hours after he posted about the issue a new scan of the servers showed no SSlv2 support, although he stands by his original findings.

Lest you think that Kobeissi is some tinfoil-hat type, he is a respected security researcher in his field. Kobeissi, a Canadian of Lebanese extraction, invented the Cryptocat encrypted chat application and is a strong anti-censorship campaigner.

But while in this case it appears that Microsoft is in the clear, there's still room for improvement. Currently the SmartScreen system does use application information stored at Redmond to validate local apps, hence the information is collected. But Kobeissi points out that the need for this could be eliminated if such data was stored locally on the client end and updated regularly. ®

»www.theregister.co.uk/2012/08/25···_spying/

FF4m3

@bhn.net
reply to Cartel

said by Cartel:

Thanks for the reminder.

More info here:

The Windows 8 Kill Switch: A Hacker's Dream Come True

iknow
Premium
join:2012-03-25
reply to goalieskates

said by goalieskates:

I'm not sure what's so wonderful about Win8 that would justify all this, but anything being sent home needs to be opt-in. And Microsoft of all people should know that.

Yipes!. probably well before they became co-conspirators to international hackers!. »Microsoft Funds Startup Designed to Disrupt BitTorrent

FF4m3

@bhn.net
reply to goalieskates

said by goalieskates:

Decades ago...

United States v. Microsoft

Microsoft litigation

Microsoft: The Evil Empire re-Surfaces

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12

Yup.....Win2000 SP4 was the start of it!

Agent Smith

join:2008-07-07
New York

2 recommendations

reply to newview

Re: Window 8 tattles to MS about EVERY app you install

I think you should get the catch here.

Windows 2000 is what windows ME should have been.

Windows 7 is what Windows Vista should have been.

Windows 9 is what Windows 8 Should have been.
--
Currently Go to Lehman high School As a Junior Now =]

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
reply to Cartel

said by Cartel:

And what makes this kill switch different then any other vendor's kill switch? Really guys your religion is showing here, try to keep it technical and not religious OK.

Blake
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

FF4m3

@bhn.net

said by Link Logger:

said by Cartel:

And what makes this kill switch different then any other vendor's kill switch?

What makes it different is that most other OSes (except OS X maybe?), including all open source OSes, do NOT have a kill switch.
said by Link Logger:

Really guys your religion is showing here, try to keep it technical and not religious OK.

Really guys LL your religion is showing here, try to keep it technical and not religious OK.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to goalieskates

said by goalieskates:

When they sold the first copy of PC-DOS to IBM.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum