Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1
reply to Link Logger

Re: Window 8 tattles to MS about EVERY app you install

said by Link Logger:

Does the iPad/iPhone have a kill switch? Does Android have a kill switch? And for bonus points, have those switches ever been used?

Comparing mobile OS with (primarily) a desktop os.
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2
reply to goalieskates

said by goalieskates:

Or some of us won't buy the new Windows Metro stuff just as we don't buy Apple or Google stuff.

+1
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

therube

join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD
reply to newview

When this was first reported, before understanding what was going on, my initial thought was, "well append a byte to the end of the installer & the hash changes ...".

So today I see, Byte Manipulator. (Haven't tried it, but from its description wouldn't think it to be effective?)

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ

malware changing itself to get around signature detection is nothing new.
--

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium
join:2002-02-18
reply to Link Logger

said by Link Logger:

Does the iPad/iPhone have a kill switch? Does Android have a kill switch? And for bonus points, have those switches ever been used?

What about Apple's GateKeeper?

Blake

Apple's Gatekeeper is not a remote kill switch. OS X only checks for the existence of a security certificate on first run (which can also be easily bypassed). It does not phone home in any way, nor is there any way for Apple to remotely disable an app.

Only iOS and Android have a remote kill switch. And Google has used their kill switch for legitimate purposes. Apple has not used theirs yet. You can see the black listed apps here: »iphone-services.apple.com/clbl/u···izedApps
--
less talk, more music

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
reply to AVD

said by AVD:

said by Link Logger:

Comparing mobile OS with (primarily) a desktop os.

I'm not sure that Windows 8 is primarily a desktop OS as it is available as both a tablet and phone so I think of Windows 8 as more a mobile OS then a desktop.

Blake
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ

the fake windows tablets with the alpha chip, I'll give you that.
windows8 does not run on a smartphone, only the UI is similar.
--

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
kudos:3

said by AVD:

the fake windows tablets with the alpha chip, I'll give you that.
windows8 does not run on a smartphone, only the UI is similar.

from »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_phone

quote:
Windows Phone 8

On June 20, 2012, Microsoft unveiled Windows Phone 8, a new generation of the operating system for release later in 2012. Windows Phone 8 will replace its previously Windows CE-based architecture with one based off the Windows NT kernel with many components shared with Windows 8, allowing applications to be easily ported between the two platforms.
Blake
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

1 edit

Never mind. Link Logger See Profile already knows.
--

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
reply to Link Logger

quote:
Windows Phone 8 will replace its previously Windows CE-based architecture with one based off the Windows NT kernel with many components shared with Windows 8, allowing applications to be easily ported between the two platforms.
Interesting. I worked on a project using WinCE some years ago but I'm sure embedded processors have more horsepower now making this possible.
--