kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom

1 recommendation

reply to iknow

Re: Deadly Amoebas Found in Tankless Water Heater

said by iknow:

said by Lurch77:

You'd need to know the BTUs and all that, but I assure you it's more than a couple bucks per year going from 120 to 140.

quote:
5. Turn down thermostat
For each 10 degree reduction, save 3-5% operating cost.
Save $2-4 per month standby cost
120 degrees or lower is considered optimal
130 degrees recommended to kill bacteria when washing clothes
Temperatures above 140 can cause minerals to distill out of water and damage pipes

»waterheatertimer.org/9-ways-to-s ··· ter.html

they have no idea what they are talking about, but how much is a human life worth? put a price on that, and you'll see it's cheaper to set the proper temperature on the water heater to kill dangerous organisms, than to replace a human life!. of course, there is adoption, but finding an exact match for one you lost can be a real pain, and probably take many years!!.

You do realize you can run yours at any temperature you want and feel comfortable with don't you?

Meanwhile I'll leave mine at 120 degrees.

iknow
Premium
join:2012-03-25
said by Jack_in_VA:

You do realize you can run yours at any temperature you want and feel comfortable with don't you?

not forever though. "In the case of the 28-year-old man in southern Louisiana who died, the amoebas were found in a tankless water heater in the home. N. fowleri were also found in the bathroom sink faucet and tub faucet in the home of the 51-year-old woman in the northern part of the state who died, according to the report." you can play chicken for many years too, but there is that one time..

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
said by iknow:

said by Jack_in_VA:

not forever though. "In the case of the 28-year-old man in southern Louisiana who died, the amoebas were found in a tankless water heater in the home. N. fowleri were also found in the bathroom sink faucet and tub faucet in the home of the 51-year-old woman in the northern part of the state who died, according to the report." you can play chicken for many years too, but there is that one time..

I've made it this long so I'm not too worried or paranoid.