dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
xue_c
join:2012-08-23

xue_c

[DSL] Can I downgrade u-verse to classic DSL?

I am using u-verse internet (with adsl2/2+ modem) now and thinking switching to dsl extreme's 3M/s classic dsl plan.

Just contacted the sales representative of dsl extreme and gave her/him my address and telephone number. In the mail she/he said I qualify for adsl2+ 8M/s, dsl 3M/s, dsl 1.5M/s and dsl 768KB/s.

But in dslx_nick's post (»Re: [DSL] switching from ATT ADSL to DSLEXTREME), it seems it cannot downgrade from u-verse internet to classic DSL. So my only option of DSL Extreme is the expensive adsl2+?

dslx_nick
ISP Employee
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA

dslx_nick

ISP Employee

You should be able to switch to DSL, as long as the U-Verse is disconnected first. I'd like to point out though, U-Verse isn't ADSL. It's VDSL, which is distinctly different technology. If you're using a 2Wire 2701 HGV-B (note the V) modem, for example, then that is a VDSL modem (not true ADSL) and won't work for classic DSL; you'd need a different modem. Just a head's-up.
xue_c
join:2012-08-23

3 edits

xue_c

Thanks for your reply at first.

I am using a Motorola 2210-02-1att modem(style "MIPDSLA" on the back.) and the download/upload speed is 3M/512k. As wikipedia said in the term "AT&T U-verse", the speed is belonged to adsl2+.

I also have an abandoned 5-years-old 2wire 2701hg-b(which is for classic DSL). If the uverse can be downgraded to classic DSL, I will be happy that I don't have to purchase an new DSL modem.