uniqs

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

[WIN7] Default Domain Login Settings - Windows 7 Pro

Trying to setup a Windows 7 computer at work that multiple people will be using for Remote Desktop.

I've applied a patch to allow multiple RDP connections and also bound it to our domain server (which is a Linux server running samba, if it matters). However, whenever we open a new RDP connection, it defaults to displaying my local account + "Other User". If we click on Other User, it defaults to the local computer instead of the domain, so we need to type "domain\username" every time.

I've tried using the Local Policy Editor to set a default domain, but it doesn't seem to work. I've also tried adding the registry key manually in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\WinLogon

Ideally, I'd like it to just be a username/password text box and none of this button nonsense, but it doesn't seem to be possible. In lieu of that, is there another way to set the default domain for other user?

Thanks
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

1 edit

dave

Premium Member

Are you using this Windows 7 computer as the RDP server or the RDP client? It's unclear from your description, though since you had to 'patch' it to bypass the one-session licensing restrictions, I guess it must be the server. There is no such restriction on the client.

The connection UI is a matter for the client end(*). In my experience, at least when a shortcut is in use, it simply displays whatever domain you used last. But why not set up a specific shortcut to the server with whatever creds are needed?

This isn't making a lot of sense to me, so maybe the Windows 7 computer is a client system in a public space. In which case, what was this 'patch' about?

Edited: (*) actually, not entirely true. The client end asks for some creds. The server end may or may not. I think if you supply valid login creds at the client end, you get quietly logged in at the server end. It's a two-stage process, it seems: make the connection, log in the session. Or perhaps it just depends on whether, after you connect, there's a matching disconnected session to attach to.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

The Windows 7 computer is the "server".

We're connecting from all different machines and OSes, so having a shortcut to automatically set the domain and/or username on the client side is not ideal. I'd like that to occur on the server side if possible.

The behavior with our previous Windows XP "server" was that it would default to whichever domain was used last (by any user), regardless of the client software you were using.
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3 to Thinkdiff

Premium Member

to Thinkdiff
Are you trying to login to the remote system as "Administrator" perhaps? If so, Win7 has an annoying "feature" that automagically changes the login type from Domain to to Local any time that you type Administrator into the user field. Yes, it is quite annoying.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

We are primarily using rdesktop on linux machines. If I set the username manually using the "-u" switch without the domain, it will show "LOCALMACHINE\username" as the user button and "LOCALMACHINE" when I click on Other User. "username" does not exist on the local machine, so it makes no sense why it would show that.

If I use "rdesktop -u domain\username", then it will display the correct user and allow me to login, but I'm still trying to avoid that as the clients like to keep things as simple as possible.