Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to iknow

Premium Member

to iknow

Re: Deadly Amoebas Found in Tankless Water Heater

said by iknow:

said by pike:

said by Lurch77:

I'm curious, just how many people have died from organisms in hot water tanks?

»www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc ··· 2094925/

Probably not a whole lot. However, one doesn't necessarily need to die to be seriously inconvenienced by a bacterial infection.
said by Jack_in_VA:

You do realize you can run yours at any temperature you want and feel comfortable with don't you?

I think Jack said it best here.

Not really worth arguing about but it's nice to have some facts behind whatever decision each homeowner ultimately makes.

the fact that death can occur means that any action other than to make sure the water is safe by setting a temperature that kills at least enough organisms is nothing other that rolling the dice, you may live, or you may die, your family and anyone else that uses the water is rolling the dice too. some people like to gamble, it makes life interesting.

Then you should stop eating, drinking, and breathing because there might be something in the food, liquid, or air that COULD cause death.
iknow
Premium Member
join:2012-03-25

iknow

Premium Member

said by ropeguru:

Then you should stop eating, drinking, and breathing because there might be something in the food, liquid, or air that COULD cause death.

heck no, i'll not drink contaminated water, eat bad food, and breath in dangerous air, i'll not be a passenger in a car with a drunk driver either!. i'll do anything that is common sense to do, and can be done. this is something that can be easily avoided. everyone dies of something, but people don't have to die from water!.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by iknow:

said by ropeguru:

heck no, i'll not drink contaminated water, eat bad food, and breath in dangerous air, i'll not be a passenger in a car with a drunk driver either!. i'll do anything that is common sense to do, and can be done. this is something that can be easily avoided. everyone dies of something, but people don't have to die from water!.

Is this the Howard Hughes syndrome? You don't know if the water is contaminated or the food is bad unless you have it tested. You don't know if the air contains harmful particles or the air bags in the vehicle you are in are operable. In short you can't possibly know about things that are potentially harmful or not.
iknow
Premium Member

iknow

Premium Member

said by Jack_in_VA:

said by iknow:

said by ropeguru:

Is this the Howard Hughes syndrome? You don't know if the water is contaminated or the food is bad unless you have it tested. You don't know if the air contains harmful particles or the air bags in the vehicle you are in are operable. In short you can't possibly know about things that are potentially harmful or not.

what? you would get in a car with a driver that is drunk? or eat a sandwich that fell in the toilet? common sense can prevent many disasters. maybe you can't believe the news about "brain-eating amoeba"??. it never happened?. maybe there is something special about you or your water supply that prevents dangerous organisms from affecting you, is so, there are many people just dying to know what it is, so lives can be saved!!.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

said by iknow:

what? you would get in a car with a driver that is drunk? or eat a sandwich that fell in the toilet? common sense can prevent many disasters. maybe you can't believe the news about "brain-eating amoeba"??. it never happened?. maybe there is something special about you or your water supply that prevents dangerous organisms from affecting you, is so, there are many people just dying to know what it is, so lives can be saved!!.

His point is that if you go out to eat, how can you ABSOLUTELY be sure there are no contaminants in the food. When you walk outside, how can you be ABSOLUTELY sure that maybe something hasn't happened close by that could have contaminated the air you are breathing. You cannot for any of these.

You sir live with a totally unrealistic idea about the world and what is around you.
iknow
Premium Member

iknow

Premium Member

said by ropeguru:

said by iknow:

His point is that if you go out to eat, how can you ABSOLUTELY be sure there are no contaminants in the food. When you walk outside, how can you be ABSOLUTELY sure that maybe something hasn't happened close by that could have contaminated the air you are breathing. You cannot for any of these.

You sir live with a totally unrealistic idea about the world and what is around you.

and i understand his point. but knowing an easy solution to a dangerous problem, and just ignoring it because they got away with it without any problems so far, is just rolling the dice, i'm sure the people that died in Louisiana didn't think about this either, but it happened to them. and of course, there's legionnaires disease, which is also fatal, with no cure. I believe in changing the things you CAN change, so, my view is not unrealistic, just common sense. letting things happen just because they CAN, or MAY not happen to you is unrealistic. proactive defense is the way to go.

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel

This is only 2 people out of how many living in the US? That makes up what percentage?

True someone has to make those statistics, but I'll give into the odds of it not happening to me. I have a better chance of hitting the lottery or being stuck by lightning. So I can sleep comfy at night knowing the odds are in my favor of not getting amoebas in my water.

jester121
Premium Member
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL

jester121 to iknow

Premium Member

to iknow
said by iknow:

what? you would get in a car with a driver that is drunk? or eat a sandwich that fell in the toilet?

Depends on the sandwich, and the condition of the toilet.