Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to pandora

Premium Member

to pandora

Re: [House&Home] Oil's end

said by pandora:

said by geek:

What happens when the power goes out?

But without power, oil, gas, or heat pump do not provide any central heat to a home to the best of my understanding. Each requires a burner igniter, and air handler or water pump (for hot water baseboard).

True, but remember that in a nat gas or propane system, the only power needed is to run the actual air handler. In an electric system, the heat itself is generated from electricity in addition to the air handler, thus requiring a much larger generator to power the home.

That's why a home running all propane appliances (heat, hot water, dryer, oven) needs relatively little in the way of backup power to run most of the home. My 6000 watt generator can run practically my whole house essential needs simultaneously. My biggest draw is my well pump... as that doesn't run off propane.
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora

Premium Member

said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

True, but remember that in a nat gas or propane system, the only power needed is to run the actual air handler. In an electric system, the heat itself is generated from electricity in addition to the air handler, thus requiring a much larger generator to power the home.

Heat pumps aren't exactly the same thing as resistive electric heat.

We have no access to natural gas, or I would have gone that route.

At the moment our home seems to have sufficient hot water from the heat pump water tank, which claims to use about 1/4 the electricity as a resistive electric hot water tank

I'm not worried about the price of oil when my kids are in the shower.

We shall see what the electric bill brings.

Normal operation for my home IS with electric power. The number of hours we have had no electric power over 30+ years here is about 168.