Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

1 recommendation

BlitzenZeus to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude

Re: Tsk tsk!

I've still seen worse, a school using their mascot as the password.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

1 recommendation

StuartMW

Premium Member

I can top that.

I know an organization that has a Windows logon password hint that has an obvious (to anyone) answer and that is the password.

Really, why bother?
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

1 recommendation

Bob4

My daughter makes the hint the same as the password.

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

1 recommendation

EGeezer to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
I remember catching holy hell from a library director when I told her we needed to change the administrative logins to desktops and servers to unique strong passwords. At the time, all the systems had the same admin password - the last four digits of the library's main phone number.

Every kid who frequented the library knew it, but that didn't make any difference to management. Their excuse "It will create confusion among the staff."

Yes, the staff, who were barely computer literate, had to have admin passwords according to the director.

What idiots!

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by EGeezer:

I remember catching holy hell from a library director when I told her we needed to change the administrative logins to desktops and servers to unique strong passwords. At the time, all the systems had the same admin password - the last four digits of the library's main phone number.

Every kid who frequented the library knew it, but that didn't make any difference to management. Their excuse "It will create confusion among the staff."

Yes, the staff, who were barely computer literate, had to have admin passwords according to the director.

What idiots!

And then?
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

said by antdude:

said by EGeezer:

What idiots!

And then?

He (mistakenly) left a post it note on one of the keyboards the public use with a clue to the password waiting for the chaos to ensue.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by BlitzenZeus:

said by antdude:

said by EGeezer:

What idiots!

And then?

He (mistakenly) left a post it note on one of the keyboards the public use with a clue to the password waiting for the chaos to ensue.

And then?

Rocky67
Pencil Neck Geek
Premium Member
join:2005-01-13
Orange, CA

1 recommendation

Rocky67

Premium Member

And then along came Jones...

Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

3 recommendations

Name Game to EGeezer

Premium Member

to EGeezer
said by EGeezer:

What idiots!

Stuff like that happens to all of us as we get older..lately I have been letting the day care shift handle phone calls for computer problems.. Password info usually cost a glass of chocolate milk or the user can agree to eat the brussel sprouts for a month.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 recommendation

Kearnstd

Premium Member

sadly even that picture does not cover tech support. When I worked for Comcast I had to go even more simple for more customers than I think I should have had to in the 21st century.

I had to go as simple as "Double click on the big blue E"

or on Mac it was "Click on the Stopwatch" because if I said compass they didnt know, but Stopwatch got them to Safari every time.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member

1 recommendation

BlitzenZeus to Name Game

Premium Member

to Name Game
Send the to their room for pulling their sister's hair, and they won't help you clear the internet history before the wife comes home.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

2 recommendations

StuartMW to Name Game

Premium Member

to Name Game
Reminds me of the "fun" I used to have with my dad back in the Windows 3.1 days. Oh the joy...

Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game to BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

to BlitzenZeus
Click for full size
said by BlitzenZeus:

Send the to their room for pulling their sister's hair, and they won't help you clear the internet history before the wife comes home.

We do give them a break if they hold up the right amount of fingers..this is not a workhouse. Even the good Captain knew when to go study the passwords...you just never saw it in the final cut.

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

1 recommendation

EGeezer to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
said by antdude:

said by EGeezer:

... I told her we needed to change the administrative logins to desktops and servers to unique strong passwords. At the time, all the systems had the same admin password - the last four digits of the library's main phone number. ... the staff, who were barely computer literate, had to have admin passwords according to the director. ...

And then?

Nor long after that, they wanted me to post copyrighted material on the public server without permission or attribution. I refused, they told me it was mandatory. I still refused, so they replaced me with someone who did (at twice what I was charging them for work).

It wasn't long until the copyrighted material was gone from the server. I never heard for sure, but guessed the work's owner took some action. I do know they were audited.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude to Rocky67

Premium Member

to Rocky67
said by Rocky67:

And then along came Jones...

And then?

Rocky67
Pencil Neck Geek
Premium Member
join:2005-01-13
Orange, CA

Rocky67

Premium Member

THE COASTERS
"Along Came Jones"

I plopped down in my easy chair and turned on Channel 2
A bad gunslinger called Salty Sam was chasin' poor Sweet Sue
He trapped her in the old sawmill and said with an evil laugh,
"If you don't give me the deed to your ranch
I'll saw you all in half!"
And then he grabbed her (and then)
He tied her up (and then)
He turned on the bandsaw (and then, and then...!)

[Chorus:]
And then along came Jones
Tall thin Jones
Slow-walkin' Jones
Slow-talkin' Jones
Along came long, lean, lanky Jones

Commercial came on, so I got up to get myself a snack
You should've seen what was goin' on by the time that I got back
Down in the old abandoned mine, Sweet Sue was havin' fits
That villain said, "Give me the deed to your ranch
Or I'll blow you all to bits!"
He lit the fuse to the dynamite (and then, and then...!)

[Chorus]

I got so bugged I turned it off and turned on another show
But there was the same old shoot-'em-up and the same old rodeo
Salty Sam was tryin' to stuff Sweet Sue in a burlap sack
He said, "If you don't give me the deed to your ranch
I'm gonna throw you on the railroad tracks!"
He threw her on the railroad tracks (and then)
A train started comin' (and then, and then...!)

[Chorus]