how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

s0cal

join:2010-12-27
Hemet, CA
reply to motoracer

Re: Just got a new firmware on my SBG6580!

i live in hemet, ca & got the update of SBG6580-3.5.8.2-GA-00-488-NOSH

Aaron M

join:2002-03-01
Monrovia, CA
reply to motorola870

I just lost connection on the new firmware. With the previous firmware I had something like 100+ days of up time.

Hope this was just a one-off event.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to hobgoblin

In almost all cases firmware upgrades don't "Offer" anything. It patches issues the modem might have with certain pieces of equipment and may address security concerns.

Being a combo router/modem, it's a more complicated device, so the significance of firmware updates to it increases.

In addition to streamlined bridged mode, I can see this update also enables you to selectively disable the various NAT ALGs (protocol snooping) ... even FTP! I'm hoping they've either fixed the performance bugs I had with the last version, or that by disabling everything I don't need, I won't run into them. I'll know in a few days!
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

MetalMike

join:2011-09-24

1 edit
reply to milkman82

I live in Akron and just got mine too.

I assume TWC upgraded their SBG6580 firmware last night around 1:30 A.M. That's when my cable box rebooted with the new GUI interface.

I have a question for those in the know here. I see a new menu on the web interface after firmware upgrade. Does anyone know what these mean by chance? (See image attached.)

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
reply to motorola870

Something is going on here on my SBG6580. It just rebooted twice. I'm online for the time being but the up/down indicators are blinking at the same time and I see this in the event log:

SW Download INIT - Via NMS

Update - upgraded in Charlotte -
SBG6580-3.5.8.2-GA-00-488-NOSH

Wireless is back on. But it kept the network I put it on (192.168.4.254). Menus look the same.

mind21_98

join:2006-05-13
San Diego, CA
reply to motorola870

Rebooted my modem and it grabbed the update. Looks like I would have eventually gotten it anyway since there seems to be scheduled downtime on Thursday night.

said by motorola870:

There is a an issue with that page because for one the SBG6580 is newer than the SB5101 model and also motorola has mentioned on their website that the SBG6580 is a IPv6 supportable device. More than likely TWC has not certified it on their network for IPv6 and it is in testing right now for the SBG6580 with a few customers and employees.

Actually, my AirPort Extreme seems to pick up a 6to4 tunnel now. No native IPv6 yet, though. And it's sending all my IPv6 traffic through Sweden. /goes back to he.net tunnel

djrobx
Premium
Valencia, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to ke4pym

I have a question for those in the know here. I see a new menu on the web interface after firmware upgrade. Does anyone know what these mean by chance? (See image attached.)

These are the various protocols that typically need special intervention to work behind a gateway. For example, FTP sends out the IP address of your computer so the remote computer can connect back to you. But behind a gateway, your PC ends up sending its private IP, which does the remote machine no good. The router has special handling that re-writes the request with your public IP instead, and makes note of which computer should receive the request when it comes in.

While these things are supposed to help, sometimes they interfere or have bugs. Most VOIP services, for example, recommend disabling SIP ALG. So it's good to have the option to disable them.
--
Rethink Billable.

Lowtarget
Premium
join:2003-12-22
Alger, OH
reply to motorola870

Our SBG6580 updated to 3.3.1.0 on Aug 28th. About 30min ago the cable modem lost connection for around 5min or so. About couple be for that it also lost connection.

We was not having issues be for the firmware updated on the cable modem. Going to keep a eye on it for sure now.

AnClar
Premium
join:2003-07-31
Belton, TX

Still at 3.3.1.0 here in central Texas...but then we tend to get most updates later rather than sooner in this market.
--
When in danger or in doubt run in circles, scream and shout!

MetalMike

reply to djrobx

quote:
While these things are supposed to help, sometimes they interfere or have bugs. Most VOIP services, for example, recommend disabling SIP ALG. So it's good to have the option to disable them.
So, do you think I should leave it alone even if I don't use VOIP? Will this effect my internet speeds in any way if I leave it the way it is now? Or should I untick all of them?

Thanks.

djrobx
Premium
Valencia, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO

said by MetalMike:

quote:
So, do you think I should leave it alone even if I don't use VOIP? Will this effect my internet speeds in any way if I leave it the way it is now? Or should I untick all of them?

Thanks.

I prefer to uncheck them, and then check if needed. But it shouldn't matter if you're not using those protocols in the first place.
--
Rethink Billable.

dragonman300

join:2011-03-02
Anaheim, CA
kudos:1

Does new firmware fix the rebooting glitch that reset when uploading large files?

MetalMike

reply to djrobx

Thanks a lot for answering my questions. Much appreciated!

bradenmcg

join:2000-10-26
Cleveland, OH
reply to milkman82

That's wild, I'm over on the east side and I still don't have this yet. I wonder if it gets rolled out by CM MAC address, and maybe mine is "further down the list"...

bluedyedvd

join:2007-04-15
Overland Park, KS
reply to motorola870

Found a annoying bug SBG6580-3.5.8.2-GA-00-488-NOSH
The wifi light will come on everytime the modem resets but the wifi is still off. never had this until the bew firmware

djrobx
Premium
Valencia, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO

said by bluedyedvd:

Found a annoying bug SBG6580-3.5.8.2-GA-00-488-NOSH
The wifi light will come on everytime the modem resets but the wifi is still off. never had this until the bew firmware

I noticed that as well. Doesn't bother me too much though.
--
Rethink Billable.

SyphonBW

join:2004-02-24
Alliance, OH
reply to motorola870

Just got the upgrade in NEO today as well

djrobx
Premium
Valencia, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to motorola870

This firmware appears to have solved the speed degradation issue I was having, which was forcing me to use it in bridge mode with a different router.

6 days of uptime, and I'm still getting my full 50mbit. Prior to this firmware I could not go past 48 hours without major slowdowns. Nice!

-- Rob
--
Rethink Billable.

TransitMan
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-05
Dayton, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

It seems that using this modem in router mode, the wireless portion has been disabled. Primary network stays grayed out and disabled, and there is no way to turn it on.

Way to go Time Warner RR, for a firmware upgrade that still doesn't work right.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15

said by TransitMan:

It seems that using this modem in router mode, the wireless portion has been disabled. Primary network stays grayed out and disabled, and there is no way to turn it on.

Might need to pay for the Home WiFi service for TWC to enable WiFi on their modem:
»www.timewarnercable.com/midwest/···working/
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

djrobx
Premium
Valencia, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to TransitMan

said by TransitMan:

While it may seem completely nuts to charge a monthly fee just for wifi, the modem allows for this. Sounds like TWC has disabled it on your modem.
--
Rethink Billable.

TransitMan
Premium,MVM
Dayton, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by djrobx:

said by TransitMan:

While it may seem completely nuts to charge a monthly fee just for wifi, the modem allows for this. Sounds like TWC has disabled it on your modem.

And yet I pay for the EXTREME tier of service, which has no mention of any additional fees for wi-fi.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15

said by TransitMan:

said by djrobx:

said by TransitMan:

And yet I pay for the EXTREME tier of service, which has no mention of any additional fees for wi-fi.

Call TWC and ask about it then. Maybe a billing code is missing on your account...
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

koji150

@rr.com
reply to thereach

said by thereach:

I didn't realize this, but somehow this update broke my router being in Bridged mode. I had to put the SBG6508 back in DHCP / NAPT Mode in order to get back out.

I figured out the solution (not that hard) and posted it in my original thread here: »[TWC] SBG6850 - Bridge mode worked for a year, now it doesn't ?! (5th post)

Hope this helps someone else.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I work from home too and woke up this morning to find my internet not working. I checked the modem and noticed that the wireless indicator was now on, where it had been disabled in the past. To add to my confusion we had an earthquake overnight and I thought the settings may have reset to default with a power outage or something like that. So I logged into the modem and tried to follow the steps I had done to get it working in bridge mode when it was first set up but as soon as I disabled NAPT, all of the settings disappeared. Multiple resets later I was still getting nowhere and then I found this post. Again, thanks a ton!

TransitMan
Premium,MVM
Dayton, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to DrDrew

said by DrDrew:

Call TWC and ask about it then. Maybe a billing code is missing on your account...

It was missing from the account. They stated they don't know why it was removed, but all has been corrected.
Thanks.

Postal
First pull up, then pull down.
Premium
join:2000-08-30
Simi Valley, CA
reply to motorola870

What exactly is 'bridge mode'? Does it bypass all the router/wifi stuff and just use the modem?

I have the SBG6580 (still on the 3.3.1.0 firmware), but want to turn off the wifi and just have the thing act as a modem/router/firewall with my comp hardwired into it.

If I log in and disable the primary network, will that accomplish what I want to do?

Recently moved and just started using TWC...
--
Next time you wave at me, use ALL your fingers.

djrobx
Premium
Valencia, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO

said by Postal:

What exactly is 'bridge mode'? Does it bypass all the router/wifi stuff and just use the modem?

Yes, that is exactly what bridge mode is.

With version 3.3.1.0 you need to add the MAC address of your router to the "Rg Passthrough" list or it will not work. See the instructions here and follow all of them.

»www.ehow.com/how_12124828_bridge···580.html

With the update, it's much easier to enable bridge mode.
--
Rethink Billable.

bluedyedvd

join:2007-04-15
Overland Park, KS
reply to TransitMan

found a way to to disable or enable the wifi unplug the coax cable from modem reset the defaults let modem boot up and plug coax back in. I thought it was stupid to have to call twc to set the wifi

Elyria

join:2011-10-12
Elyria, OH
reply to motorola870

I have noticed....at least here (Geauga County Oh)
The wireless has been activated on menu. It indeed
works as you'd expect. Has zero value to me personally,
but certainly others, just might.

Elyria

join:2011-10-12
Elyria, OH
reply to djrobx

quote:
With version 3.3.1.0 you need to add the MAC address of your router to the "Rg Passthrough" list or it will not work. See the instructions here and follow all of

With the update, it's much easier to enable bridge mode.

I did not have to do any , of what you have described. Simply did the
disable napt and the Dlink was back to same ole.

I dunno bout easier. The steps I just did , were exactly the same as before.