uniqs

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to MetalMike

Premium Member

to MetalMike

Re: Just got a new firmware on my SBG6580!

said by MetalMike:

quote:
While these things are supposed to help, sometimes they interfere or have bugs. Most VOIP services, for example, recommend disabling SIP ALG. So it's good to have the option to disable them.
So, do you think I should leave it alone even if I don't use VOIP? Will this effect my internet speeds in any way if I leave it the way it is now? Or should I untick all of them?

Thanks.

I prefer to uncheck them, and then check if needed. But it shouldn't matter if you're not using those protocols in the first place.
PowerMac
join:2011-03-02
Anaheim, CA

PowerMac

Does new firmware fix the rebooting glitch that reset when uploading large files?
MetalMike
join:2011-09-24

MetalMike to djrobx

to djrobx
Thanks a lot for answering my questions. Much appreciated!

bradenmcg
join:2000-10-26
Cleveland, OH

bradenmcg to milkman82

to milkman82
That's wild, I'm over on the east side and I still don't have this yet. I wonder if it gets rolled out by CM MAC address, and maybe mine is "further down the list"...
bluedyedvd
join:2007-04-15
Overland Park, KS

bluedyedvd to motorola870

to motorola870
Found a annoying bug SBG6580-3.5.8.2-GA-00-488-NOSH
The wifi light will come on everytime the modem resets but the wifi is still off. never had this until the bew firmware

djrobx
Premium Member
Reno, NV

djrobx

Premium Member

said by bluedyedvd:

Found a annoying bug SBG6580-3.5.8.2-GA-00-488-NOSH
The wifi light will come on everytime the modem resets but the wifi is still off. never had this until the bew firmware

I noticed that as well. Doesn't bother me too much though.
SyphonBW
join:2004-02-24
Alliance, OH

SyphonBW to motorola870

to motorola870
Just got the upgrade in NEO today as well

djrobx
Premium Member
Reno, NV

djrobx to motorola870

Premium Member

to motorola870
This firmware appears to have solved the speed degradation issue I was having, which was forcing me to use it in bridge mode with a different router.

6 days of uptime, and I'm still getting my full 50mbit. Prior to this firmware I could not go past 48 hours without major slowdowns. Nice!

-- Rob

TransitMan
MVM
join:2000-09-05
Dayton, OH

TransitMan

MVM

It seems that using this modem in router mode, the wireless portion has been disabled. Primary network stays grayed out and disabled, and there is no way to turn it on.

Way to go Time Warner RR, for a firmware upgrade that still doesn't work right.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by TransitMan:

It seems that using this modem in router mode, the wireless portion has been disabled. Primary network stays grayed out and disabled, and there is no way to turn it on.

Might need to pay for the Home WiFi service for TWC to enable WiFi on their modem:
»www.timewarnercable.com/ ··· working/

djrobx
Premium Member
Reno, NV

djrobx to TransitMan

Premium Member

to TransitMan
said by TransitMan:

While it may seem completely nuts to charge a monthly fee just for wifi, the modem allows for this. Sounds like TWC has disabled it on your modem.

TransitMan
MVM
Dayton, OH

TransitMan

MVM

said by djrobx:

said by TransitMan:

While it may seem completely nuts to charge a monthly fee just for wifi, the modem allows for this. Sounds like TWC has disabled it on your modem.

And yet I pay for the EXTREME tier of service, which has no mention of any additional fees for wi-fi.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by TransitMan:

said by djrobx:

said by TransitMan:

And yet I pay for the EXTREME tier of service, which has no mention of any additional fees for wi-fi.

Call TWC and ask about it then. Maybe a billing code is missing on your account...

koji150
@rr.com

koji150 to reach

Anon

to reach
said by reach:

I didn't realize this, but somehow this update broke my router being in Bridged mode. I had to put the SBG6508 back in DHCP / NAPT Mode in order to get back out.

I figured out the solution (not that hard) and posted it in my original thread here: »[TWC] SBG6850 - Bridge mode worked for a year, now it doesn't ?! (5th post)

Hope this helps someone else.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I work from home too and woke up this morning to find my internet not working. I checked the modem and noticed that the wireless indicator was now on, where it had been disabled in the past. To add to my confusion we had an earthquake overnight and I thought the settings may have reset to default with a power outage or something like that. So I logged into the modem and tried to follow the steps I had done to get it working in bridge mode when it was first set up but as soon as I disabled NAPT, all of the settings disappeared. Multiple resets later I was still getting nowhere and then I found this post. Again, thanks a ton!

TransitMan
MVM
Dayton, OH

TransitMan to DocDrew

MVM

to DocDrew
said by DocDrew:

Call TWC and ask about it then. Maybe a billing code is missing on your account...

It was missing from the account. They stated they don't know why it was removed, but all has been corrected.
Thanks.

Postal8
First pull up, then pull down.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-30
Simi Valley, CA

Postal8 to motorola870

Premium Member

to motorola870
What exactly is 'bridge mode'? Does it bypass all the router/wifi stuff and just use the modem?

I have the SBG6580 (still on the 3.3.1.0 firmware), but want to turn off the wifi and just have the thing act as a modem/router/firewall with my comp hardwired into it.

If I log in and disable the primary network, will that accomplish what I want to do?

Recently moved and just started using TWC...

djrobx
Premium Member
Reno, NV

djrobx

Premium Member

said by Postal8:

What exactly is 'bridge mode'? Does it bypass all the router/wifi stuff and just use the modem?

Yes, that is exactly what bridge mode is.

With version 3.3.1.0 you need to add the MAC address of your router to the "Rg Passthrough" list or it will not work. See the instructions here and follow all of them.

»www.ehow.com/how_1212482 ··· 580.html

With the update, it's much easier to enable bridge mode.
bluedyedvd
join:2007-04-15
Overland Park, KS

bluedyedvd to TransitMan

to TransitMan
found a way to to disable or enable the wifi unplug the coax cable from modem reset the defaults let modem boot up and plug coax back in. I thought it was stupid to have to call twc to set the wifi

Elyria
join:2011-10-12
Elyria, OH

Elyria to motorola870

to motorola870
I have noticed....at least here (Geauga County Oh)
The wireless has been activated on menu. It indeed
works as you'd expect. Has zero value to me personally,
but certainly others, just might.
Elyria

Elyria to djrobx

to djrobx
quote:
With version 3.3.1.0 you need to add the MAC address of your router to the "Rg Passthrough" list or it will not work. See the instructions here and follow all of

With the update, it's much easier to enable bridge mode.

I did not have to do any , of what you have described. Simply did the
disable napt and the Dlink was back to same ole.

I dunno bout easier. The steps I just did , were exactly the same as before.

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH

trparky

Premium Member

Still on 3.3.1.0 in Cleveland, OH.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

1 edit

Anonymous_ to motorola870

Premium Member

to motorola870
Just got it here SBG6580-3.5.8.2

a Word of warning

Web pages TAKE a very long time to load

Approximate 5 to 15 seconds per web page to load since this firmware update

this firmware is defected

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by Anonymous_:

Just got it here SBG6580-3.5.8.2

a Word of warning

Approximate 5 to 15 seconds per web page to load since this firmware update

I've had the firmware for the last 4 days and I don't see the same behavior, it's working fine for me

Elyria
join:2011-10-12
Elyria, OH

Elyria to Anonymous_

to Anonymous_
said by Anonymous_:

As DrDrew told you....it's working 100% perfect.

smart move tho.....calling it DEFECTIVE. Doubt anyone's
gonna be asking YOU for additional software reviews *sheeeesh*

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

1 edit

Anonymous_

Premium Member

4.8seconds to load zdnet
6.6 seconds to load facebook

on 30mbps sorry something is wrong with it.

It sure is not my computer since I have a SSD and 8GB of ram on this laptop

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

Well put the modem in bridge mode and try it direct or with your own router.

Either of those pages listed have a ton of scripts and cross-site page referrals. I got multiple warnings of stalled, slow loading scripts on Facebook over the weekend, which is unusual. Lots of things will affect web loading speed outside of your modem and computer hardware.
horseshoe
Premium Member
join:2006-10-11
Upland, CA

horseshoe to motorola870

Premium Member

to motorola870
SBG6580-3.5.8.2-GA-00-488-NOSH just dropped into this modem.

Postal8
First pull up, then pull down.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-30
Simi Valley, CA

Postal8 to motorola870

Premium Member

to motorola870
Nothing new for me in Simi Valley...
nevion
join:2010-04-13

nevion to Anonymous_

to Anonymous_
I'd have to say this firmware is defective too. Let me explain:

My wifi connections used to work perfect with the occasional crash of the wifi stack on the modem. and over the weekend they became slow as sh*t where as my desktop wasn't. It literally takes minutes to make a connection in some cases, at the tcp level. The connect system call is where all the time is... once it's got a connection things flow decently, usually. LAN over wifi (my SB is the house's wifi AP) runs just the same as it used to - fast and no latency. A direct connection over cable also works fine (same laptop)... I can show the stark difference by just switching between the two. I'm only 4 feet from the modem. Reboots don't change it... dns lookups also run at decent speed... but "connection" speed is crap. I can barely load a page any faster in links than I can in firefox or chrome. I can browse faster over my remote desktop behind a VPN on the same wifi connection with light compression, wtf?)

I've rebooted the modem alot. Inspected the settings, they all look the same. Verfied the version I'm running is SBG6580-3.5.8.2-GA-00-488-NOSH ... what more can I do besides set bridged mode and get a new WAP? Any RR/TWC engineers etc to comment?

this might get double posted as an anonymous post - forgot I had an account here and anon posts get "reviewed" .... apologies.

jasonrr
@rr.com

jasonrr to motorola870

Anon

to motorola870
I'd have to say this firmware is defective too. Let me explain:

My wifi connections used to work perfect with the occasional crash of the wifi stack on the modem. and over the weekend they became slow as sh*t where as my desktop wasn't. It literally takes minutes to make a connection in some cases, at the tcp level. The connect system call is where all the time is... once it's got a connection things flow decently, usually. LAN over wifi (my SB is the house's wifi AP) runs just the same as it used to - fast and no latency. A direct connection over cable also works fine (same laptop)... I can show the stark difference by just switching between the two. I'm only 4 feet from the modem. Reboots don't change it... dns lookups also run at decent speed... but "connection" speed is crap. I can barely load a page any faster in links than I can in firefox or chrome. I can browse faster over my remote desktop behind a VPN on the same compression light compression, wtf?)

I've rebooted the modem alot. Inspected the settings, they all look the same. Verfied the version I'm running is SBG6580-3.5.8.2-GA-00-488-NOSH ... what more can I do besides set bridged mode and get a new WAP? Any RR/TWC engineers etc to comment?