dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
nevion
join:2010-04-13

nevion

Re: Just got a new firmware on my SBG6580!

actually my android phone is doing this too... it's not specific to the laptop.
miketrin
join:2001-11-09
Lenexa, KS

miketrin to jasonrr

to jasonrr
SBG6580-3.5.8.2-GA-00-488-NOSH has been a horrible experience. I'm not sure when i got this version in KCMO area but for the last few days as soon as I attempt to download anything bigger than a standard webpage the SBG6580 reboots. Most of the time it just drops all the devices hooked up to it and about 30 seconds later i'm back online for about 10 to 20 minutes.

Is there a way to call in to a higher tier support?

When I called standard road runner support person signed me up for a house visit in 7 days. THe line is fine, before this firmware i was getting the 50/5 day and night.

I'm going to try bridging it and hope for a stable connection. I've already tried relocated, plugged it in directly to the main feed, no splitters..
nevion
join:2010-04-13

nevion to motorola870

to motorola870
I've yet to be able to talk with them - they're 8-5pm only (hey I have a job you know! How about being off hours.). The people in the direct forums "hooked" me up with them though I've been unable to communicate. In fact I called them back all of friday from 8 to 5 (like 15 times) and didn't get anything but voicemail.... faaaaaaaaaail.
nevion

nevion to motorola870

to motorola870
I get 16MB/s lan through wifi from downloading from my PC. There can't possibly be any issues for wifi itself. Too many connections (what used to be fine in torrent client) seems to exhaserbate issues.

ifconfig says there are no errors, no drops, no overruns or collisions. Watching it in realtime through watch -n .1 I can see RX for a wget, it times out but watching the status is interesting. I occasionally get back an rx packet but things dont' seem to progress as a session.

Wifi occasionally works for a page or two and then just leaves connections lingering till they time out. Turning off torrents and anything else with connections (ie just disconnecting my ethernet connected PC) doesn't do a thing. I'm going to have to exchange this modem before it drives me mad.
nevion

nevion

Well, I did a factory reset on the router, this fixed the wifi sucking for non-lan. I re-applied every setting I cared about so it should have nearly identical configuration.

The connection speed is overall less than what I used to have and I'd say I can't multiplex too many connections these days... maybe my hub is just overloaded though.

I rarely get above 1.5MiB/s and often I'm stuck at 500-600KiB/s.

SD or Bust
@rr.com

SD or Bust

Anon

TWC told me today that 3.3.1 is the current firmware for our market here in SD. Curious if anybody in SD has been upgraded proving this wrong info.

SD
@rr.com

SD

Anon

Yes, I have SBG6580-3.5.8.2-GA-00-488-NOSH here in SD.
riot808
join:2012-07-06
Honolulu, HI

riot808

do you guys know how to bridge it with the new upgrade cause they don't have the rg passthrough option anymore and i'm confused lol
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym

Premium Member

said by riot808:

do you guys know how to bridge it with the new upgrade cause they don't have the rg passthrough option anymore and i'm confused lol

It's in the same place it's always been, Pinky.

Basic->Setup->NAPT mode: Disabled

socalguy2832 to motorola870

Anon

to motorola870
I pay for 50Mbps/5Mbps TWC Ultimate Internet since 2 months now. Internet was flawless until couple days ago.

Here is the "BEFORE" Pic
»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 4683.png

Here are the "AFTER" Pics
»speedtest.net/result/225 ··· 9219.png
»speedtest.net/result/225 ··· 9346.png
»speedtest.net/result/225 ··· 9254.png

I'm still paying ~$90/month for the 50Mbps internet.
I know it's not a PC problem because I get the same speed when I perform speedtest on laptop, ipod and ipad.

My modem is SBG6850 and firmware is SBG6580-3.5.8.2-GA-00-488-NOSH
Fleeced
join:2012-10-06

Fleeced

Can you post your signal levels?
riot808
Honolulu, HI

riot808 to ke4pym

to ke4pym
do i need to uncheck dhcp and ptp ipsec passthrough also what about multicast? and theres no rg passtrhough anymore on the new firmware just says nat alg and theres a ton of new boxes

socalguy2832 to Fleeced

Anon

to Fleeced
said by Fleeced:

Sure:

»i.imgur.com/pceN9.png

Here is my EVENT LOG:
»i.imgur.com/4Z1Yc.png
Fleeced
join:2012-10-06

Fleeced to riot808

to riot808
said by riot808:

do i need to uncheck dhcp and ptp ipsec passthrough also what about multicast? and theres no rg passtrhough anymore on the new firmware just says nat alg and theres a ton of new boxes

No. All you need to do is Disable wireless, disable DHCP (More of an extra step) then turn off the NAPT. The modem will reboot then all that should be plugged in is something in the Ethernet 1 (Your router). That's it.
Fleeced

Fleeced to socalguy2832

to socalguy2832
said by socalguy2832 :

said by Fleeced:

Sure:

»i.imgur.com/pceN9.png

Here is my EVENT LOG:
»i.imgur.com/4Z1Yc.png

I would take down any necessary settings and factory reset your router. Your signals look fine. See if that changes anything.

Friscotx77
@mycingular.net

Friscotx77

Anon

Need some help guys. I have a netgear r6300 router and I set the modem into bridge mode just like it says on this forum, but my router never gets an ip. I tried to put in the LAN MAC address but it still doesn't work. Any thoughts?
riot808
Honolulu, HI

riot808 to Fleeced

to Fleeced
i noticed they don't have rg passthrough anymore but theres a ton of boxes underneath where it use to be all under the title nat alg are all those boxes what rg passthrough use to be? or if you uncheck everything in advance is that like rg passthrough?
tjfear
join:2012-11-05

tjfear to motorola870

to motorola870
Dallas, TX - Anyone have any luck getting TWC to push the firmware to you? I just signed up last week and I'm having tons of connection drops on 3.3.1.0

After reading other posts, seems most problems are fixed in 3.5.8.2, and if not fixed it's easier to bridge and fix the connection problems on the newer software.

Thanks

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to riot808

Premium Member

to riot808
said by riot808:

i noticed they don't have rg passthrough anymore but theres a ton of boxes underneath where it use to be all under the title nat alg are all those boxes what rg passthrough use to be? or if you uncheck everything in advance is that like rg passthrough?

No, they don't have anything to do with each other.

NAT refers to having several devices on unique private IPs (192.168.x.x) sharing one public IP. This sharing isn't as easy as it seems on the surface, some protocols present special challenges. For example, FTP may attempt to pass your computer's IP to the remote machine.

If the FTP transaction were left alone, the remote computer would receive 192.168.x.x, which is useless. It needs your public IP to reach you. So, a special algorithm is needed to tweak the FTP protocol and substitute your private IP for the public IP, and make a note of where the connection needs to go when the remote server attempts to contact you.

This is the "ftp alg". Other protocols need their own customized tweaking for similar reasons. Sometimes these "algs" can cause problems of their own. SIP needs special handling as well, but most VOIP providers will tell you disable it and forward ports instead. So, it's good to be able to disable these if they're not needed.
ManDown
join:2012-11-07

ManDown to motorola870

to motorola870
May I ask for the download link to SBG6580-3.5.8.2-GA-00-488-NOSH firmware update and installation guide if you have it?

TANKS!!

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx

Premium Member

said by ManDown:

May I ask for the download link to SBG6580-3.5.8.2-GA-00-488-NOSH firmware update and installation guide if you have it?

Your cable provider has to make it available.
ManDown
join:2012-11-07

ManDown

I have another question some of the post here were discussing. some games i run have NAT open and some set to strict. I would guess strict is more secure???

Thanks in Advance,

ManDown