uniqs
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus to not

Premium Member

to not

Re: [W2K] Is Windows 2000 still considered a rock-solid OS?

Running virtual machines is another matter, your average person who does little more than browse the web, and check e-mail so they don't need all that power. There's something to be said for not buying antiquated hardware to begin with, but what the computer is being used for matters. People don't need a 3770k to browse the web, and check e-mail.

On gaming builds the 2500k(overclocks like a beast) or 3570 are suggested as they have decent price, and four cores to allow background programs to use the other cores since most games might only use up to two cores. The i7 processor is seen as excessive unless they want to pay more for other reasons.

I had a thread a while back pointing out how companies like Dell, and Apple were charging upwards of $150 to $200 more for 4GB more of ram, pointing out these people could buy the memory far cheaper themselves instead of paying for these outrageous price hikes. If you have to order dozens of computers from a company like Dell for your office then you definitely want to make sure you're not overpaying unless you're just trying to spend your budget before it gets replenished.

not
@comcast.net

not

Anon

said by BlitzenZeus:

Running virtual machines is another matter, your average person who does little more than browse the web, and check e-mail so they don't need all that power. There's something to be said for not buying antiquated hardware to begin with, but what the computer is being used for matters. People don't need a 3770k to browse the web, and check e-mail.

On gaming builds the 2500k(overclocks like a beast) or 3570 are suggested as they have decent price, and four cores to allow background programs to use the other cores since most games might only use up to two cores. The i7 processor is seen as excessive unless they want to pay more for other reasons.

I had a thread a while back pointing out how companies like Dell, and Apple were charging upwards of $150 to $200 more for 4GB more of ram, pointing out these people could buy the memory far cheaper themselves instead of paying for these outrageous price hikes. If you have to order dozens of computers from a company like Dell for your office then you definitely want to make sure you're not overpaying unless you're just trying to spend your budget before it gets replenished.

VM in my post meant virtual memory (swap file), NOT virtual machine setup. Come on man! Sheesh.

Anyway, put 4GB in a W7 machine and see how much VM utilization is used and then do the same with 8GB. Big difference and that difference directly carries over into performance increases for the machine. The idea isn't as to what you're going to be using the machine for today (email, Office, etc.). The idea of optimizing the available RAM so that you don't run into slowness issues going forward.