share rss forum feed

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5
reply to Coma

Re: Apple v Samsung verdict in-coming

Yes, you say it all the time. The point is that companies rise and fall. I don't think you learned much in your 50 years.
--
I've heard, and I don't know if it's true, that Harry Reid takes it up the kiester from farm animals.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network
reply to Thaler

said by Thaler:

+1 proof that juries are retarded. A jury of your peers means "people who couldn't figure out how to get out of jury duty".

Hopefully this gets overturned in appeals. Patenting rectangles with rounded corners is just silly.

Makes me wonder if brick manufacturers can sue Apple for copying the rectangle design in the first place.

When I was a young associate almost 17 years ago, we did a mock jury trial with an actual very well known 7th Circuit Federal judge. We picked a jury but had video cameras in the room when they were deciding the verdict. I don't recall what the trial was anymore and I don't recall the outcome. But what I do recall are all the goofy ways in which the Jury came up with its decision. The arbitrariness was amazing.

In this case, the fact that the jury assigned damages for products that never infringed means that the jury is/was confused or don't quite get it.
--
I've heard, and I don't know if it's true, that Harry Reid takes it up the kiester from farm animals.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand
reply to Badonkadonk

said by Badonkadonk:

Yes, you say it all the time. The point is that companies rise and fall. I don't think you learned much in your 50 years.

When did I say that Apple would last forever ?

The first 35 years were rather difficult for me but the last 5 years seemed to be the most rewarding.

Gee, that only adds up to 40 years, where did that other 28 years go ?

--
August is National Eye Exam Month

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network

2 recommendations

Not Apple lasting forever. You go on and on about owning a couple of extra houses etc. I'm personally not impressed, but good for you.
--

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to Coma

said by Coma:

said by Thaler:

A jury of your peers means "people who couldn't figure out how to get out of jury duty".

To Whom It May Concern:

I am requesting exemption from Jury duty based on the fact that I have organic frontal lobe brain damage as a result of a gun shot wound to the head in 1964. That trumatic injury left me with the resulting personality disorders associated with a pre-frontal lobotomy. These personality disorders include reduced concentration and attention, bad judgement, impaired insight, disinhibition, loss of social graces and sexual indiscretions, among others.

Documentation of organic frontal lobe brain damage is available upon request.

That would make you the ideal plaintiff's juror in an East Texas IP trial.

Thaler
Premium
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA
kudos:3
reply to Coma

said by Coma:

Pot.

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state
reply to Badonkadonk

said by Badonkadonk:

said by Thaler:

+1 proof that juries are retarded. A jury of your peers means "people who couldn't figure out how to get out of jury duty".

Hopefully this gets overturned in appeals. Patenting rectangles with rounded corners is just silly.

Makes me wonder if brick manufacturers can sue Apple for copying the rectangle design in the first place.

When I was a young associate almost 17 years ago, we did a mock jury trial with an actual very well known 7th Circuit Federal judge. We picked a jury but had video cameras in the room when they were deciding the verdict. I don't recall what the trial was anymore and I don't recall the outcome. But what I do recall are all the goofy ways in which the Jury came up with its decision. The arbitrariness was amazing.

In this case, the fact that the jury assigned damages for products that never infringed means that the jury is/was confused or don't quite get it.

Well that and Judy Kohs actions has set up an easy appeal for Samsung.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL

I agree. Koh was nuts in her handling of the case. Someone should ship her off to the Eastern District of Texas.
--

Blogger

@mpionbroadband.com
reply to skeechan

Remember how many years that MS was so big and so "evil" in so many ways regarding their business practices and how they dominated the market.

At this point in time Apple has functionally become what MS was alleged to have been in its "prime." The only difference is Apple "looks different" and with things such as the iPhone exerts its control by dictating to its vendors for its products such as the iPhone.

Meanwhile MS continues to diminish overall or systemically and Apple continues as corporation to widen its lead and increase its dominance or control a variety of areas not to mention cash or worth.

Retired
Premium
join:2002-11-09
Earth
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Thinkdiff

said by Thinkdiff:

$1 billion+.

Wow!

It's a lot of dough, but just a drop in the bucket for Samsung.
--
I work hard. I play hard. I stay hard.

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX
reply to Badonkadonk

Pretty good revenue:

In FY 2009, Samsung reported consolidated revenues of 220 trillion KRW ($172.5 billion). In FY 2010, Samsung reported consolidated revenues of 280 trillion KRW ($258 billion), and profits of 30 trillion KRW ($27.6 billion) (based upon a KRW-USD exchange rate of 1,084.5 KRW per USD, the spot rate as of 19 August 2011).[52] However it should be noted that these amounts do not include the revenues of all subsidiaries of the group which are based outside South Korea.[53]

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
NirvanaLand
reply to Thaler

said by Thaler:

said by Coma:

Pot.

Brain damage

You take a bullet in the head and see what happens.

--

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
reply to Badonkadonk

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
Premium
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·SureWest Internet

1 recommendation

reply to Badonkadonk

Click for full size

Maggs
Life is awesome
Premium
join:2002-11-29
Woodside, NY
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE
reply to Badonkadonk

Apple's at the top of its' game, so were Detroit automakers until the 1980s, now Michigan is a ghost town. No one buys American cars anymore, the only reason the foreign automakers build in the US is to avoid shipping cars and import duties and they build in non union states.

There are 937.41 Million shares outstanding at a price of 663.22 at the moment. No small investor can buy it at this point.

Cook should stock split and give them some breathing room, since investors will come to expect consistently high stock pricing for Apple. The minute revenue declines everyone is out the door.

The product mix is what worries me, over 40% of revenue is from the iPhone, that's a dangerous thing. If they screw up a product launch and destroy the iPhone in the market, the stock will drop, since the Halo effect of Steve Jobs is long gone now.

I should have invested in 2001, I would have made a decent amount of money, but I was only 19 . I did however buy stock in a former employer through an ESPP.

Apple had its' time to shine, and that is coming to a close at this point.
--
Hello, is anyone out there.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

said by Maggs:

No one buys American cars anymore,

»www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-01-0···ate.html

GM sold 2.5 million cars and light trucks in the U.S. last year.
Ford’s U.S. light-vehicle sales rose 11 percent in 2011 to 2.14 million.
Chrysler’s 2011 sales soared 26 percent to 1.37 million.

And the above is just US sales by big 3. Those don't include sales of US made cars sold overseas.
--
»www.mittromney.com/s/repeal-and-···bamacare
»www.mittromney.com/issues/health-care

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
reply to Maggs

said by Maggs:

Apple had its' time to shine, and that is coming to a close at this point.

What goes UP must come DOWN .... in Apple's case I think there is much more upside to come.

However I would keep an eye on short interest.

Learn about short interest --- when the big boys start shorting Apple in earnest the price will collapse.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to Blogger

said by Blogger :

Remember how many years that MS was so big and so "evil" in so many ways regarding their business practices and how they dominated the market.

Meanwhile MS continues to diminish overall or systemically and Apple continues as corporation to widen its lead and increase its dominance or control a variety of areas not to mention cash or worth.

windows 8 and server 2012 are going to be a disaster in the corporate market.

OEM's are already harping about MS getting into the hardware market to compete against them.

2013 is going to be interesting for Microsoft.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to FFH

Well, unlike all the fictitious lawsuits from certain holding companies against RIM, at least Apple had something physical to show against Samsung.

Only issue I have, though, is that I did work on a tablet device (Fujitsu) a long time again, 2005 or so, that with the exception of its thickness and lack of a shiny back-skin, looked a lot like an iPad...or..the iPad looked a lot like the Fujitsu.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network

Which is why when I hear people call Apple a patent troll, it makes no sense to me. I don't like Apple or their business practices, but they aren't a troll.
--

Metatron2008
Premium
united state

Yeah something physical, from a patent that shouldn't have been granted, used to kill competition.

Patent trolling.

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

said by Metatron2008:

Yeah something physical, from a patent that shouldn't have been granted, used to kill competition.

Patent trolling.

Welcome to America.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network

1 recommendation

reply to Metatron2008

No. By definition a patent troll is a non-practicing entity. That is not the case with Apple. I deal with patent trolls all the time and Apple is not a patent troll.

said by J E F F:

said by Metatron2008:

Patent trolling.

Welcome to America.

WTF are you talking about? Canada isn't all that you guys seem to think it is. It's mostly a wannabe America.

RIM is considering trolling as a business model.

Welcome to F* Canada.
--

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
reply to J E F F

dup

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Badonkadonk

said by Badonkadonk:

RIM is considering trolling as a business model.

Welcome to F* Canada.

That would be their smartest decision to date, if they did that.
--

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
join:2002-06-05
Fort Worth, TX
reply to Badonkadonk

Google is now going to be forced to react... I expect something out of them against apple that comes from the gigantic number of patents that they got when they acquired motorola.

I believe in the end that apple will have wasted a bunch of money, and everyone's time, but will wind up getting their ass handed to them in the long run.
--
I'm tired of killing stupid people just trying to do my job and go home!

JasonOD

@comcast.net

said by burner50:

Google is now going to be forced to react...

....I believe in the end that apple will have wasted a bunch of money, and everyone's time, but will wind up getting their ass handed to them in the long run.

Let 'em react. I suspect Apple would then be obliged to go after every smartphone made since '07, which lets face it, have all been copies of the iphone. A cool $30~50 royalty payment for every android device made would suit Apple nicely.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
NirvanaLand

said by JasonOD :

A cool $30~50 royalty payment for every android device made would suit Apple nicely.

Not to mention the stock holders . . .

--

Metatron2008
Premium
united state

1 edit
reply to JasonOD

said by JasonOD :

said by burner50:

Google is now going to be forced to react...

....I believe in the end that apple will have wasted a bunch of money, and everyone's time, but will wind up getting their ass handed to them in the long run.

Let 'em react. I suspect Apple would then be obliged to go after every smartphone made since '07, which lets face it, have all been copies of the iphone. A cool $30~50 royalty payment for every android device made would suit Apple nicely.

I'm sorry, but in the end a rectangle with icons isn't something you can 'copy'. Go into a regular store in the tv section, or laptop section. WHOA MY GOD! A huge lawsuit waiting huh?

There was nothing original about the iPad or Iphone. Full screen touch phone did exist at the time of the original iphone (I remember for a fact), but mostly people bought the blackberry type phones with full keyboard if they wanted a smartphone. The iphone simply was the best, but fanboys want to turn the best into 'original'.

Keep it up and you may not like the results. The judge and jury were biased, the judge throwing out prior art and the jury giving damages to items that didn't infringe (Watch how quickly that turns into jury misconduct and a mistrial when this goes to appeal).

Not only that but that guy who did the Knight Rider tablet in 1994 was arguing for Samsung. Once the patents change over to prior art he could remove Apples patent.

Plus you have the guy showing the pinch and zoom function from the touchscreen in 2003.

Apples patents are BS, and if they play this game, the real guys who made the stuff may just make their patents and their products vanish..

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
join:2007-01-18
Winston Salem, NC

This sort of baseless logic reminds me why I was so happy to get out of GA.

No one has been able to produce one original product that was as refined as the iPhone was back in 2007. Previous touch screen devices, 'smartphones', etc. were arachaic in comparison and the manner in which the previous makers caught up to Apple in 2008-2010 was through nothing short of blatant facsimile of Apple's products.
--
Check out my site: »web.mac.com/jwsmiths

Play Mafia!: »Pub Games