uniqs
share rss forum feed

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state
reply to Badonkadonk

Re: Apple v Samsung verdict in-coming

Yeah something physical, from a patent that shouldn't have been granted, used to kill competition.

Patent trolling.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

said by Metatron2008:

Yeah something physical, from a patent that shouldn't have been granted, used to kill competition.

Patent trolling.

Welcome to America.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Dish Network

1 recommendation

reply to Metatron2008

No. By definition a patent troll is a non-practicing entity. That is not the case with Apple. I deal with patent trolls all the time and Apple is not a patent troll.

said by J E F F:

said by Metatron2008:

Patent trolling.

Welcome to America.

WTF are you talking about? Canada isn't all that you guys seem to think it is. It's mostly a wannabe America.

RIM is considering trolling as a business model.

Welcome to F* Canada.
--
I've heard, and I don't know if it's true, that Harry Reid takes it up the kiester from farm animals.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
reply to J E F F

dup

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Badonkadonk

said by Badonkadonk:

RIM is considering trolling as a business model.

Welcome to F* Canada.

That would be their smartest decision to date, if they did that.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
join:2002-06-05
Fort Worth, TX
reply to Badonkadonk

Google is now going to be forced to react... I expect something out of them against apple that comes from the gigantic number of patents that they got when they acquired motorola.

I believe in the end that apple will have wasted a bunch of money, and everyone's time, but will wind up getting their ass handed to them in the long run.
--
I'm tired of killing stupid people just trying to do my job and go home!

JasonOD

@comcast.net

said by burner50:

Google is now going to be forced to react...

....I believe in the end that apple will have wasted a bunch of money, and everyone's time, but will wind up getting their ass handed to them in the long run.

Let 'em react. I suspect Apple would then be obliged to go after every smartphone made since '07, which lets face it, have all been copies of the iphone. A cool $30~50 royalty payment for every android device made would suit Apple nicely.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

said by JasonOD :

A cool $30~50 royalty payment for every android device made would suit Apple nicely.

Not to mention the stock holders . . .

--
August is National Eye Exam Month

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state

1 edit
reply to JasonOD

said by JasonOD :

said by burner50:

....I believe in the end that apple will have wasted a bunch of money, and everyone's time, but will wind up getting their ass handed to them in the long run.

Let 'em react. I suspect Apple would then be obliged to go after every smartphone made since '07, which lets face it, have all been copies of the iphone. A cool $30~50 royalty payment for every android device made would suit Apple nicely.

I'm sorry, but in the end a rectangle with icons isn't something you can 'copy'. Go into a regular store in the tv section, or laptop section. WHOA MY GOD! A huge lawsuit waiting huh?

There was nothing original about the iPad or Iphone. Full screen touch phone did exist at the time of the original iphone (I remember for a fact), but mostly people bought the blackberry type phones with full keyboard if they wanted a smartphone. The iphone simply was the best, but fanboys want to turn the best into 'original'.

Keep it up and you may not like the results. The judge and jury were biased, the judge throwing out prior art and the jury giving damages to items that didn't infringe (Watch how quickly that turns into jury misconduct and a mistrial when this goes to appeal).

Not only that but that guy who did the Knight Rider tablet in 1994 was arguing for Samsung. Once the patents change over to prior art he could remove Apples patent.

Plus you have the guy showing the pinch and zoom function from the touchscreen in 2003.

Apples patents are BS, and if they play this game, the real guys who made the stuff may just make their patents and their products vanish..

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
join:2007-01-18
Winston Salem, NC

This sort of baseless logic reminds me why I was so happy to get out of GA.

No one has been able to produce one original product that was as refined as the iPhone was back in 2007. Previous touch screen devices, 'smartphones', etc. were arachaic in comparison and the manner in which the previous makers caught up to Apple in 2008-2010 was through nothing short of blatant facsimile of Apple's products.
--
Check out my site: »web.mac.com/jwsmiths

Play Mafia!: »Pub Games

Expand your moderator at work

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network
reply to Count Zero

Re: Apple v Samsung verdict in-coming

Nice little rant, but the jury didn't even consider the prior art. They'd already made up their minds and decided to skip the prior art question because it was bogging them down.

I guess deciding a multi-billion dollar case wasn't significant enough for them to really consider what they were doing. Instead, they'd already made up their minds and were handing out penalties that they weren't supposed to be.

Apple fanboyism thrives even in the jury pool. That being said, juries usually aren't known as being paragons of intelligence.

»www.techdirt.com/articles/201208···rs.shtml
--
I've been informed by highly placed sources that Canadians and British rock stars exert a profound and significant influence on US politics.

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium
join:2002-02-18

3 recommendations

reply to Badonkadonk

I have to link to this wonderful TED presentation done by Kirby Ferguson. Skip to 4:45 in the video for the Apple specific part. I think it does a good job showing some prior art and hypocrisy on Apple's part.

»download.ted.com/talks/KirbyFerg···012G.mp4
--
less talk, more music

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
reply to Badonkadonk

Here are the 8 Samsung products Apple wants banned from US:
Galaxy S 4G
Galaxy S2 (AT&T)
Galaxy S2 (Skyrocket)
Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile)
Galaxy S2 Epic 4G
Galaxy S Showcase
Droid Charge
Galaxy Prevail

»www.theverge.com/2012/8/27/32721···-verdict
--
»www.mittromney.com/s/repeal-and-···bamacare
»www.mittromney.com/issues/health-care

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
reply to Ctrl Alt Del

That was nicely done.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network
reply to Badonkadonk

The lawsuit has brought about an interesting phenomena.
»www.techdirt.com/articles/201208···es.shtml

"We learn of a post from Enrique Guitierrez, who was in a Starbucks over the weekend and overheard people talking about the verdict -- and they seemed to indicate that it was making them more interested in buying Samsung products:
Guy: "Wait, so what they're saying is, Samsung is the same as Apple?"
Friend: "I know, right? Makes me think twice about how much I paid for my Mac Book"
Guy: "Seriously"

Not 10 minutes later, a husband and wife, same newspaper:

Husband: "... Samsung's iPad is the same as Apple's iPad, and I paid how much for the Apple one? Honey, I told you they were a ripoff", after looking up the Samsung tablet on his iPhone.
Wife: "Oh wow," looking at the screen, "... that's a lot cheaper. Think we can return it?""
--
I've been informed by highly placed sources that Canadians and British rock stars exert a profound and significant influence on US politics.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to Badonkadonk

They didn't get a chance. The 2001 ASO and Sony CAD stuff wasn't admissible. Appeal time.

Appeal, then negotiate down the judgement.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to Badonkadonk

That dialog is about as believable as the dialog used in the Windows 7 Launch Party commercials.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL

Yeah, I know, it sounds like a commercial. But I've had similar types of discussions with my wife before, so I can kind of believe it.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
reply to Badonkadonk

-coughullshit-

"Gee Wally, I don't know...that iPad is sure expensive."

"I know Beav, it would be real swell to have one though"

"I'll get that Samsung instead, iPads are for squares anyways"

-cue laugh track-

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to Coma

said by Coma:

said by JasonOD :

A cool $30~50 royalty payment for every android device made would suit Apple nicely.

You must be pleased, the company has increased by $11b since the verdict.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

said by elwoodblues:

said by Coma:

said by JasonOD :

You must be pleased, the company has increased by $11b since the verdict.

Several years ago, a friend who works for Ameriprise asked me about buying an iPhone and I told him to buy several and give them away to friends.

--
August is National Eye Exam Month

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium
join:2000-07-15
BurlingtonON
reply to Badonkadonk

That's the problem with being as lawsuit-happy as Apple is, it awakens sleeping giants.

»news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57501···ow-down/

»www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2409010,00.asp

The RIAA's lawsuits were the best marketing campaign for the MP3 format that changed the record industry.
--
Logic requires one to deal with decisions that one's ego will not permit.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burke.

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA
reply to Badonkadonk

Apple is losing the market share. I mean compare iPhone to galaxy S3 and there is no comparison. If they make a bigger screen, Samsung should probably sue since they made a bigger screen phone first. Why not if they can sue over a rectangle shape?

The only reason Apple is suing is they know the competition is destroying their market share worldwide. They no longer make better phones and now they actually provided a lot of publicity for Samsung so maybe people will not blindly go for an Apple product and maybe research more and find a better one.
--
I speak for myself, not my employer.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to digitalfutur

said by digitalfutur:

That's the problem with being as lawsuit-happy as Apple is, it awakens sleeping giants.

»news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57501···ow-down/

»www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2409010,00.asp

The RIAA's lawsuits were the best marketing campaign for the MP3 format that changed the record industry.

No, the only reason that Android has a bigger market share is due to more companies selling Android based phones, there is only only one IOS phone.

If you are an Apple Fanbois, nothing is going to change.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
reply to Anonymous

I have a Sammy Galaxy S WiFi 5.0 with a 5" screen and it looks like shat because they don't have the DPI to back it up. Bigger screen is pointless without commensurate resolution.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to Badonkadonk

A major upside to Android is that if one unlocks their phone they can gain access to features blocked out normally by patent lawsuits. Being open source nothing can really stop a third party from bringing a feature back.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network

As the third party ROMS start becoming easier to use through automatic phone updates, I think that'll be true for many more people than it is now. But for the very technically uninclined (like my wife), it still may be a bit of a tall order.
--

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to JasonOD

said by JasonOD :

said by burner50:

Good luck trying to get Google to pay when they have the patents of Motorola Mobility which pretty much invented the modern (flip) phones.
You already see Apple regretting it's decision to go after Google. They've already started negotiating paying Google in germany »news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57501···germany/

You definitely have it backwards. What will come from this is:
1. Apple will have to pay royalty fees to Google. Moto will license due to FRAND
2. Google will work around Apples patents (which they've mostly already done in stock android).

Tim Cook messed up. Google can get past Apples patents/trade dress but Apple can't get past patents motorola owns. The only downside is that motorola has to legally license those patents and can't sue Apple.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to skeechan

said by skeechan:

I have a Sammy Galaxy S WiFi 5.0 with a 5" screen and it looks like shat because they don't have the DPI to back it up. Bigger screen is pointless without commensurate resolution.

I'm no fan of pentile displays. I prefer LCD2. HTC One X has a really good display. Probably the best in the market.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.