Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to Coma

Re: Apple v Samsung verdict in-coming

said by Coma:

said by JasonOD :

A cool $30~50 royalty payment for every android device made would suit Apple nicely.

Not to mention the stock holders . . .

You must be pleased, the company has increased by $11b since the verdict.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

said by elwoodblues:

said by Coma:

said by JasonOD :

A cool $30~50 royalty payment for every android device made would suit Apple nicely.

Not to mention the stock holders . . .

You must be pleased, the company has increased by $11b since the verdict.

Several years ago, a friend who works for Ameriprise asked me about buying an iPhone and I told him to buy several and give them away to friends.

--
August is National Eye Exam Month

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium
join:2000-07-15
BurlingtonON
reply to Badonkadonk

That's the problem with being as lawsuit-happy as Apple is, it awakens sleeping giants.

»news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57501···ow-down/

»www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2409010,00.asp

The RIAA's lawsuits were the best marketing campaign for the MP3 format that changed the record industry.
--
Logic requires one to deal with decisions that one's ego will not permit.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burke.

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA
reply to Badonkadonk

Apple is losing the market share. I mean compare iPhone to galaxy S3 and there is no comparison. If they make a bigger screen, Samsung should probably sue since they made a bigger screen phone first. Why not if they can sue over a rectangle shape?

The only reason Apple is suing is they know the competition is destroying their market share worldwide. They no longer make better phones and now they actually provided a lot of publicity for Samsung so maybe people will not blindly go for an Apple product and maybe research more and find a better one.
--
I speak for myself, not my employer.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to digitalfutur

said by digitalfutur:

That's the problem with being as lawsuit-happy as Apple is, it awakens sleeping giants.

»news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57501···ow-down/

»www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2409010,00.asp

The RIAA's lawsuits were the best marketing campaign for the MP3 format that changed the record industry.

No, the only reason that Android has a bigger market share is due to more companies selling Android based phones, there is only only one IOS phone.

If you are an Apple Fanbois, nothing is going to change.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
reply to Anonymous

I have a Sammy Galaxy S WiFi 5.0 with a 5" screen and it looks like shat because they don't have the DPI to back it up. Bigger screen is pointless without commensurate resolution.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to Badonkadonk

A major upside to Android is that if one unlocks their phone they can gain access to features blocked out normally by patent lawsuits. Being open source nothing can really stop a third party from bringing a feature back.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Dish Network

As the third party ROMS start becoming easier to use through automatic phone updates, I think that'll be true for many more people than it is now. But for the very technically uninclined (like my wife), it still may be a bit of a tall order.
--
I've been informed by highly placed sources that Canadians and British rock stars exert a profound and significant influence on US politics.

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to JasonOD

said by JasonOD :

said by burner50:

Google is now going to be forced to react...

....I believe in the end that apple will have wasted a bunch of money, and everyone's time, but will wind up getting their ass handed to them in the long run.

Let 'em react. I suspect Apple would then be obliged to go after every smartphone made since '07, which lets face it, have all been copies of the iphone. A cool $30~50 royalty payment for every android device made would suit Apple nicely.

Good luck trying to get Google to pay when they have the patents of Motorola Mobility which pretty much invented the modern (flip) phones.
You already see Apple regretting it's decision to go after Google. They've already started negotiating paying Google in germany »news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57501···germany/

You definitely have it backwards. What will come from this is:
1. Apple will have to pay royalty fees to Google. Moto will license due to FRAND
2. Google will work around Apples patents (which they've mostly already done in stock android).

Tim Cook messed up. Google can get past Apples patents/trade dress but Apple can't get past patents motorola owns. The only downside is that motorola has to legally license those patents and can't sue Apple.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to skeechan

said by skeechan:

I have a Sammy Galaxy S WiFi 5.0 with a 5" screen and it looks like shat because they don't have the DPI to back it up. Bigger screen is pointless without commensurate resolution.

I'm no fan of pentile displays. I prefer LCD2. HTC One X has a really good display. Probably the best in the market.
--

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
reply to JasonOD

said by JasonOD :

said by burner50:

Google is now going to be forced to react...

....I believe in the end that apple will have wasted a bunch of money, and everyone's time, but will wind up getting their ass handed to them in the long run.

Let 'em react. I suspect Apple would then be obliged to go after every smartphone made since '07, which lets face it, have all been copies of the iphone.

Um, wrong...

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
reply to Alcohol

Hell, Motorola INVENTED the cell phone...

Thaler
Premium
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA
kudos:3
reply to JasonOD

said by JasonOD :

I suspect Apple would then be obliged to go after every smartphone made since '07, which lets face it, have all been copies of the iphone.

wat

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
join:2007-01-18
Winston Salem, NC
reply to Cheese

I guarantee that patent has expired by now…

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by Count Zero:

I guarantee that patent has expired by nowâ€Â¦

Nope. Google wouldn't have bought Motorola Mobility for billions of dollars if the patents weren't worth it. They already said half the value was because of the patents.
--

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network

I think he was talking about the orignal cell phone patent. That's way long dead.

I was a patent lawyer for Mobility for a couple of years. Let me tell, a large portion of the portfolio is crap. They used to file boatloads of crap so they could pump out enough granted patents to make the top 10 list. They've quit doing that nowadys, I think. But, I guarantee there are a gazillion dogs in there.

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI

Not sure why Motorola would let it expire? Is there a limit?
--

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL

Yes, 20 years from the date of filing. Used to be 17 years from the date of issue back then.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

Only 20 years? They should have bought Congress using the lobbyists that the MPAA/RIAA did.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL

That's what it is across the world.