uniqs
billydunwood
join:2008-04-23
united state

billydunwood to PatPatate

to PatPatate

Re: [Rant] Car Wash Employees dont get all their tips

said by PatPatate:

Then if it's only the 2 of them, it would be logical they get all the tip.

I worked in an hotel's restaurant when I was a student. Depending on the day we were between 1 and 3 who's job was to help the waiters, clean table, make sure the glasses and silverware were shinning, etc, so they can ofter good and quick service to the customers.

While we didn't interact with the customers, the waiters were forced to give us a part of the tips.

Another part of our job was also to deliver food to rooms, and we would get tip directly for this. The problem is that there was always 1 lazy guy who stopped working and relaxed when all the stuff for the night was done. Other workers usually continued preparing stuff for the next day. So when there was something to deliver to the rooms, guess who was asked to do it? The guy doing nothing. He didn't deserve all the tip for himself. So we splitted.

I understand. But if I am a customer, and I give an employee a tip, it should go to that employee, not anyone else.Plus, when it gets put into a box, and the manager/owner takes money inside, they could take a tip without the employees knowing. And its not right to split the tips evenly among a person who dries 10 cars as opposed to completely detailing 4.

PatPatate
join:2008-02-10
Sainte-Julie, QC

4 edits

PatPatate

said by billydunwood:

I understand. But if I am a customer, and I give an employee a tip, it should go to that employee, not anyone else.Plus, when it gets put into a box, and the manager/owner takes money inside, they could take a tip without the employees knowing. And its not right to split the tips evenly among a person who dries 10 cars as opposed to completely detailing 4.

As I said, it depends on the job.

If your job is to clean cars, and you are doing it alone or in a team of 2, then yes, you deserve all the tip only for yourself/splitted in twp.

The problem here is that some jobs require a 2-3 guys working in the shadow of the only 1 guy the customer will see. They're all paid the same hourly/rate. It's like a chain. If only 1 of them is bad, the customer will receive bad service.

Also, in my case, they never tried to make sure everyone could see the same amount of customer. So it wouldn't have been fair.

Also where I worked, the boss didn't take a part of the money. (We were putting the money in a box ourselves and splitting it ourselves)

Edit :

I wasn't sure about the name... I was a busboy, paid the same hourly rate as a waiter.

What I had to do :
- Making sure every fork, spoons, knifes and glasses were shinning.
- Cleaning tables
- Setting up tables for the next customers
- Taking away dirty/empty plates.
- Helping waiters bring food to the tables.
- Bringing drinks to the waiter so they could bring them to the tables
- Telling the waiter their customer needs them (they would often ask us "where's X ?")

What the waiters had to do :
- Doing fake smiles at the customers
- Talking in the back of said customers (they were often saying how ugly some of them were)
- Taking order
- Yelling at the cooks that their customer is more important and they need their food now.
- Open wine bottles.
- Yelling at the cooks again so they make sure the food is hot.
- Yelling at the busboys because they need help bringing food at the tables.
- Complaining that they didn't make enough tip last night (200$ one night was a bad night for them...)
- Talking about how they are superior to everyone else because they like french food and high quality olive oil. (The restaurant was serving mostly french food)
- Collecting money from the customer.
- Waiting behind the bar that something happens.

Do you think it's fair for the waiters to get ALL the tip? (They got 87.5% of it... they used to declare 25% of it, and give us half of the delcared part... so they were paying taxes on 12.5% of the total tip they got)