uniqs
share rss forum feed

Jon
Premium
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL
reply to plencnerb

Re: Nebraska Zephyr Excursion

Is there anything interesting to do in Galesburg?
Is it a scenic ride?

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
said by Jon:

Is it a scenic ride?

As far as what there is to do in Galesburg? If I remember correctly, its not a far walk from the train station to the historic district, where there are a lot of restaurants, art galleries, and so on. Also, at (or about a block from) the train station is the Galesburg Railroad Museum. Its small, but I do know they have CB&Q #3006 on display.

More info on the Museum and the city in general can be found at the links below

»www.galesburgrailroadmuseum.org/index.html

»www.visitgalesburg.com/

The route that is being taken is the same route that Amtrak's #380 Illinois Zephyr takes. I have ridden that route a few times as one of the stops along that route is Macomb, IL (home of WIU, class of 1995).

The route mostly travels over the farmlands of western Illinois, and does pass through the following towns once you are west of Aurora: Sandwich, Plano, Mendota, Princeton and Kewanee.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

jester121
Premium
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL
reply to Jon
said by Jon:

Turning around to head back is the highlight.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to plencnerb
In galesburg? I'm there a lot. No. Not much to really do. The downtown district is eh, ok. Some expensive restaurants not too far.

If you do go, and want something cheap but good, check out pizza house. Not too far and really the ONLY pizza i will eat in town. I call galesburg forgotonia. Hell, even at&t doesn't have 3g there!
--
The day the child realizes that all adults are imperfect, he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult. The day he forgives himself, he becomes wise.
Alden Nowlan