All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
baess
join:2011-01-28

baess

How to rollback firmware

I have a DPC2100r2 modem. My ISP updated firmware to only a select few and it is clearly causing problems. The new "feature", watchdog timer, is causing my modem to reboot often. Prior to this the modem went months without needing to be touched.

They refuse to give me the old firmware back even though almost every other modem on their system has it and not the new firmware. They claim I have and had connection issues, which clearly was not the case prior to this new firmware.

What happens if I reset to factory conditions? Will it get the most current firmware automatically? I recall the ISP saying everytime it communicates with the modem if makes sure it has the current firmware. Or perhaps that was only for config files.

Or once it is factory restored will I be stuck with a useless modem?
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

1 recommendation

HELLFIRE

MVM

said by baess:

What happens if I reset to factory conditions?

Chances are, not much. A 'factory reset' more often than not just resets the
config and not the software. I don't work for an ISP so I can't say for sure,
but likely they push firmware updates automatically so even if you were able
to roll the firmware back, you'd be back in the same position you were with
the next update push.

Regards
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer to baess

Premium Member

to baess
The end user has ZERO control of the firmware their cablemodem runs. The cable provider tells the modem what it should be running (and where to get the desired file(s).)

(It's part of the DOCSIS security model to limit theft of service. aka "uncapping".)
baess

baess

Since the firmware the ISP pushed to me and a few others is not what is on every other modem yet I am hoping a restore to factory conditions would give me their "current for everyone else firmware". They say they have processes in place that automatically upgrades any modem that isn't on the most up to date firmware within 15 minutes of that modem coming online.

My concern is what other changes would the restore make that might cause problems. Or will everything be back to good in those first 15 minutes as they say.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer

Premium Member

A "factory reset" will not change anything. (certainly not the firmware) Erasing the learned configuration will do nothing at the head-end, which is where all the setting come from. Best case, it'll take 30 minutes to reconnect (since it has no knowledge of what channels to use, it has to search all of them) and then you'll be right back where you were.

They are most likely lying. The modem knows to download new firmware when it's config file indicates a different version than it's currently running. It only gets a new config file when it reboots. While the operator can command a modem to restart, most ISPs won't do that a) it breaks the customer's network, and b) restarting too many at once will overload the tftp server providing the firmware. (it's easier to wait for the modems to reboot on their own)
baess

baess

Due to my insistence the ISP rolled back the firmware. In doing s0 they severed the diagnostic interface. I had to cajole them in to reenabling it. They really dislike when someone knows something.

Heads up to anyone who has or will have the Watchdog Timer function due to Cisco updating firmware, it stinks.
baess

1 edit

baess

My ISP (WOW) went ahead and did a wide roll out of the firmware for the DPC2100r2 that they know has issues due to the watchdog timer.

I've already had one reboot due to the timer already and know I will have more.

My question is how much damage will the constant reboots do to my modem?
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to baess

MVM

to baess
About as much as rebooting any other electrical / electronic device.

Other thing too is Cisco's EOL'd these suckers -- »www.cisco.com/en/US/prod ··· 848.html -- and is about 6months from terminating routine failure analysis support, so unless WOW has some sort of extended maintenence contract with Cisco, I'd look at getting a new modem when this thing gives up the ghost.

Regards