how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JakeUtah

@qwest.net

1 edit

[Qwest] CenturyLink Actiontec C1000A modem with issues

I got my CenturyLink connection today with an actiontec C1000A modem. Things worked fine for a while and then after that I could not longer connect anymore to the net. The modem page shows DSL connection and Internet connection in green (thats also what my modem lights tell me). However the internet connection is very flaky. On an average two out of four Ping responses come back with request timed out or destination unreachable. Pages sometimes come up and other times just hang. I was with CenturyLink support for an hour and they finally gave up and told me they were sennding me a new modem.

But seriously, a new modem that stops working in two hours??? I tried connecting different devices and the Internet behavior is the same. Is this something related to Century Link's Internet, the modem or something else?? How can I tell?

I am already regretting departing ways with Comcast with whom I had zero issues in 3.5 years. Luckily I was told I was not in a CenturyLink contract and so if this does not get resolved I will most likely dump them and go back to Comcast....

Anyway...any suggestions on what the problem could be??

jakeutah

@myvzw.com

Sorry .... Wrong model in title....should have one more 0

jakeutah

@myvzw.com
reply to JakeUtah

Re: [Qwest] CenturyLink Actiontec C100A modem with issues

So reading another post here I checked the crc errors and its over 100000 of it and it keeps climbing by the minute. I checked with tech support again and they say if the dsl and internet lights are green then there is an issue with the modem. Is this right??

BlueMist

join:2011-01-24
Cookeville, TN
reply to JakeUtah

If you plug your modem directly into the telephone company demark, usually with a longer phone cable, do the problems go away. If they do then there is a problem with the phone wiring inside the house. The ISP will charge you to fix any in-house wiring problems. The problem could be an unfiltered extension phone, alarm system, the modem, or even a bad cable between the modem and the wall jack.

If the problems continue while the modem is plugged directly into the phone demark (interface usually on the outside of the house) then the problem is either the modem or the phone line.

This kind of problem is why I normally advise anyone to activate a new installation by renting the modem from the ISP for a couple of months. That way if anything is wrong with the phone line they can not try to get out of fixing the problem by blaming the modem. They have to swap out the modem for free if they think it is bad. When you own the modem it is up to you to prove the phone line is bad by trying another modem since they will tend to blame your "owned" modem rather than take the time and expense to come out to your home to troubleshoot what might be a defective phone line.

Yes, like any electronic device, modems can go bad the first time they are powered on or even be bad while still in the box.

Only after having a working system for a month or more do I suggest someone purchase their own modem. By then any initial phone line problems will have been fixed, or you will have moved on to a different ISP.

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to JakeUtah

Ping the MODEM. It should be less than 2ms the most and no errors.

»192.168.0.1/
--
"You can observe a lot by watching". Yogi Berra

JakeUtah

@qwest.net
reply to jakeutah

Hi Irish,

There were no problems pinging the modem itself. That always worked great.

Jake.

BKTech

@qwest.net
reply to jakeutah

Funny-- I am at a Burger King in rural MN. They have a new C1000A and it works... sort of. This is used to allow the POS to run credit card transactions. I reconfigured it this morning after a previous tech did not get all of the unique (store specific) setting correct. It works and CC transactions are running, but when I run the "in modem" system diagnostics, everything passes except the Ethernet test which reads as a FAIL. Funny thing is that there is on one of the four ports being used and it is plugged into a SONICWALL router which does all the routing. The Actiontec is used only as a modem with DHCP off, etc. I cannot find anywhere what an Ethernet FAIL result means. I replaced the ethernet cable and used another SONICWALL and get the same result. I am not sure if the test goes deeper through all ports on the network or just its local port.

Irish Shark
Premium,MVM
Las Vegas, NV
reply to JakeUtah

That would be a quick check on the MODEM to see if you were getting any lag/errors on it.

Not 100% accurate for a MODEM test, but it is most likely OK.

Do the NID thing as BlueMist See Profile suggested. that will tell a lot.

Also look at your line stats and speed in the MODEM
--

JakeUtah

@qwest.net
reply to BlueMist

Hi BlueMist,

Thanks for the detailed information. I finally got it to work. I am not sure what it was but I wonder if it was related to the fact that I had a DirectTV cable from the box into a phone jack. I have it disconnected for now. I am not sure if it was the cause or not. Not as many CRC errors ...

CRC Errors:7
30 Minute CRC:280
RS FEC:0
30 Minute FEC:67414

I'll see how long-lasting this is and report back.

BlueMist

join:2011-01-24
Cookeville, TN

Depending on how your wiring is setup in the house it is a distinct possibility. The DirectTV box uses a modem to talk back to them when you plug it into a phone line. Like remote alarm panels or phones it usually needs to be plugged into a DSL filter before it gets plugged into the phone jack.

What I like to do is to plug a combined splitter/DSL filter into the phone company demark and run a new cable from there all the way to the modem. The splitter jack labeled phone gets the old cable plugged into it and the new cable goes into the port labeled DSL. That way I only need to use one filter on the entire house. This helps eliminate the numerous filters that add to the complexity as well as the ability of others from plugging in something later that drops only the internet.

With out the splitter/filter I have to plug an individual DSL filter (usually a non-splitter version) on every device plugged into a phone jack except the DSL modem itself.

Irish Shark
Premium,MVM
Las Vegas, NV

Unless you are into PPV and want to order it from the TV, the phone line to the the D* box is not necessary.

I have ad D* for over 15 years (in NY and LV) and none of my boxes are plugged into to phone line. You can order it over the phone or via the Internet connected to the box.

Also, D* says that you have to have a phone line to order the sports pacs; again not true. I have MLB EI for years without a phone line.

What happens if there is no landline and your cell is your phone?

Just trash the phone line to the D* box.
--

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

But without the phone line, you don't get the caller-id display on the screen when watching TV.

Irish Shark
Premium,MVM
Las Vegas, NV

I don't have caller ID, so I am not missing anything.

Besides when I watch TV, I turn the phone off and any messages to to the answering system.
--