Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd to antdude

MVM

to antdude

Re: Reflectors for antenna(s/e)?

Yes you can control the upgrade process on the R6300 and Yes they are easy to do ---- but you MUST do the firmware upgrade using a WIRED connection once you LEARN how to get around the GUI. The GUI has a lot of layers and the built-in Help system provides very good feedback BUT if you expect the learning curve to be quick and dirty you will be disappointed.
mozerd

mozerd to Anav

MVM

to Anav

Re: Wireless router suggestions for a big house?

said by Anav:

The one reason to stay away from the netgear line is their limitation on simulataneous sessions which is about 5 years behind the time..

while the NETGEAR maintained the 4,096 session limit that is common across its WNDR router line.

Apparently with the latest firmware release version v1.0.2.26 the R6300 now supports 65,536 NAt sessions.

Release Notes
1. -Fix auto channel select does not work issue.
2. -Support NAT sessions to 65536.
3. -Fix WDS performance only up to 40 Mbps issue.

So Anav See Profile something else to put in your pipe.

WOW, what in carnations are people going to do with 65,536 sessions. that's SIXTY FIVE THOUSANDS FIVE HUNDRED and THIRTY SIX NAT SESSIONS --- unbelievable

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to mozerd

Premium Member

to mozerd

Re: Reflectors for antenna(s/e)?

said by mozerd:

Yes you can control the upgrade process on the R6300 and Yes they are easy to do ---- but you MUST do the firmware upgrade using a WIRED connection once you LEARN how to get around the GUI. The GUI has a lot of layers and the built-in Help system provides very good feedback BUT if you expect the learning curve to be quick and dirty you will be disappointed.

Hmm, Linksys WRT54GL has a lot of GUI layers too to me. I hope it's not more than that! :P Hey, I used to do telnet with my Netgear RT311 router! I hope Netgear's GUI makes sense. I hate bad usability! I have configured my routers before. Hopefully, this new one isn't bad. BTW, I bought one last night's.

mozerd
MVM
Nepean, ON

1 edit

mozerd

MVM

The R6300 has 4 times as many layers as the WRT54GL ... however some of the layers will not show up unless special functionality is called up .... I will not mention which special functionality so that you will be forced to find that part by yourself Lots and Lots of layers.

Good Luck with your use of the R6300 .... BTW the Genie App helps a lot in configuring the R6300 assuming You do not want to mess with the layers .... I on the other hand want to know whats under the hood so i spend the time and effort to learn.

For your Windows XP computer -- if that computer will connect via wired port your performance will be excellent assuming the ethernet port is gigabit capable. If the XP computer will connect wirelessly then you will need to consider acquiring the WNDA4100 network adapter which network adapter works really well with the R6300. In 2013 Netgear will release a network adapter that exploits the gigabit wirless speeds the R6300 purports to have.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by mozerd:

The R6300 has 4 times as many layers as the WRT54GL ... however some of the layers will not show up unless special functionality is called up .... I will not mention which special functionality so that you will be forced to find that part by yourself Lots and Lots of layers.

Good Luck with your use of the R6300 .... BTW the Genie App helps a lot in configuring the R6300 assuming You do not want to mess with the layers .... I on the other hand want to know whats under the hood so i spend the time and effort to learn.

Well, I want to get the basic parts done. Then, I will worry about the fancy advanced stuff. Dang, lots of features eh? Oh boy. I hope it's worth it! Also, I got a NETGEAR WN2500RP Universal Dual Band WiFi Range Extender, 4-port WiFi Adapter - Wireless network extender - 802.11 a/b/g/n. I noticed a lot of returned Netgear items sold as refurbished. The sales guy said many people returned them because they can't configure them to make them work correctly, are incompatible with other network devices, etc. I hope I have no problems!

mozerd
MVM
Nepean, ON

2 edits

mozerd

MVM

said by antdude:

Also, I got a NETGEAR WN2500RP Universal Dual Band WiFi Range Extender, 4-port WiFi Adapter - Wireless network extender - 802.11 a/b/g/n. I noticed a lot of returned Netgear items sold as refurbished. The sales guy said many people returned them because they can't configure them to make them work correctly, are incompatible with other network devices, etc. I hope I have no problems!

I suspect that you will have lots of issues using the WN2500RP --- like many others ... I have no experience with that model nor do I plan on having any expense with it --- the R6300 is somewhat a unique machine and Netgear have NOT as yet produced a range extender that COMPLIANT with the architecture used by the R6300.

The propery way to extend the Range of the R6300 --- assumming that you cannot PLACE the device properly and like I mentioned to you in another thread --- is to use a 2nd R6300 as a client [in BRIDGE mode] to the primary R6300 --- yes that is an expensive way of doing that BUT its the proper way of doing that in view of the ARCHITECTURE being deployed by the R6300.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by mozerd:

said by antdude:

Also, I got a NETGEAR WN2500RP Universal Dual Band WiFi Range Extender, 4-port WiFi Adapter - Wireless network extender - 802.11 a/b/g/n. I noticed a lot of returned Netgear items sold as refurbished. The sales guy said many people returned them because they can't configure them to make them work correctly, are incompatible with other network devices, etc. I hope I have no problems!

I suspect that you will have lots of issues using the WN2500RP --- like many others ... I have no experience with that model nor do I plan on having any expense with it --- the R6300 is somewhat a unique machine and Netgear have NOT as yet produced a range extender that COMPLIANT with the architecture used by the R6300.

The propery way to extend the Range of the R6300 --- assumming that you cannot PLACE the device properly and like I mentioned to you in another thread --- is to use a 2nd R6300 as a client to the primary R6300 --- yes that is an expensive way of doing that BUT its the proper way of doing that in view of the ARCHITECTURE being deployed by the R6300.

Crap. I hope I don't have to even use it.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to mozerd

Premium Member

to mozerd

said by mozerd:

said by Anav:

The one reason to stay away from the netgear line is their limitation on simulataneous sessions which is about 5 years behind the time..

while the NETGEAR maintained the 4,096 session limit that is common across its WNDR router line.

Apparently with the latest firmware release version v1.0.2.26 the R6300 now supports 65,536 NAt sessions.

Release Notes
1. -Fix auto channel select does not work issue.
2. -Support NAT sessions to 65536.
3. -Fix WDS performance only up to 40 Mbps issue.

So Anav See Profile something else to put in your pipe.

WOW, what in carnations are people going to do with 65,536 sessions. that's SIXTY FIVE THOUSANDS FIVE HUNDRED and THIRTY SIX NAT SESSIONS --- unbelievable

The First Look was based on original V1.0.0.68_1.0.16 firmware, which lacked support for guest networks. NETGEAR has since posted three updates with the lastest V1.0.2.14_1.0.23 firmware. So Good to hear that in 1.0.26 they addressed the real world usage requirement of sessions.....

You may be right that this is turning into the go to consumer router!!!

mozerd
MVM
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

said by Anav:

So Good to hear that in 1.0.26 they addressed the real world usage requirement of sessions.....

You may be right that this is turning into the go to consumer router

Did YOU KNOW that the ASUS RT-AC66U supports 300,000 NAT sessions --- Anav See Profile please tell me how You [not anyone else] would exploit that?

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

How, probably by having a 100 meg pipe up and down and torrenting a gazillion files LOL. I have no idea.

Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

1 recommendation

Name Game to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
How to build a Wi-Fi booster

»www.wired.co.uk/magazine ··· -booster

Turn Your Old Router into a Range-Boosting Wi-Fi Repeater

»lifehacker.com/5563196/t ··· repeater

The magic Site
DD-WRT is a Linux based alternative OpenSource firmware suitable for a great variety of WLAN routers and embedded systems. The main emphasis lies on providing the easiest possible handling while at the same time supporting a great number of functionalities within the framework of the respective hardware platform used.

»dd-wrt.com/site/index
Name Game

Name Game

Premium Member

How to Extend Your Wi-Fi Network
Tips and tricks to boost your wireless network range at home or in the office.

»www.pcworld.com/article/ ··· tk.hp_fv

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

2 edits

antdude

Premium Member

Netgear Router R6300 wins!

I finally have it up with its latest firmware in the same location/place. Surprisingly, it worked better than my old Linksys WRT54GL router's wireless even in the far away lowerlevel family/living/den room. It's not perfect, but it worked and speeds were decent. A few packet losses here and there, but not bad like the old router. Even watching a 720p YouTube video seems to do well. I even tried closing doors to see if they affect the wireless signals. Still good!

However, it has to be on 2.4 Ghz and not 5 Ghz (didn't know you can have both running at the same time -- now I know why it is called dual band). 5 Ghz wasn't strong enough for closer distance rooms too (worse than Linksys WRT54 GL's!).

It doesn't look like the unopened Netgear's universal dual band wifi range extender 4-port wifi adapter is needed now (will return it near its 30 days return).

Also, nice GUI. All fancy now. Lots of features (no time to try them too). I wonder how Linksys' newer routers are now. I used to use Netgear RT311 that didn't have many features. I used use its telnet (preferred over web GUI).

mozerd
MVM
Nepean, ON

1 edit

1 recommendation

mozerd

MVM

said by antdude:

However, it has to be on 2.4 Ghz and not 5 Ghz (didn't know you can have both running at the same time -- now I know why it is called dual band). 5 Ghz wasn't strong enough for closer distance rooms too (worse than Linksys WRT54 GL's!).

5 Ghz N MIMO Clients are far better than 5 Ghz "a" Clients due to and assuming matching MIMO technology which is unique to "N" and "AC" .... so if your 5 Ghz wireless clients operate as N MIMO clients your range should be far greater assuming the same MIMO technology is being used for the Transmit side of the equation and the Receive side of the equation.

IF on the other hand Your 5 Ghz wireless clients are operating in "a" mode or there is a MISMATCH in the MIMO side then range will be an issue.

For superior performance especially when using N/AC type gear the technology must match because not all MIMO is equal.

The last point --- do not confuse 801.11AC with 801.11a ....

801.11a does not utilize MIMO
802.11N does utilize MIMO but not multi-User MIMO.
801.11AC does utilize MIMO but a much more advanced form called MULTI-USER MIMO.

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT 802.11AC

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude

Ahh I get it, all the manufactureres have finally put together a product that is worthy of our cash, one that gives decent performance finally. The brand new AC variety. Oh wait, in six months it will be ACX super duper extraordinary MIMO but only if you have the ACX super duper xtraordinary client adapter that will finally be available just about the same time that ZX wifi the mother of all wifi is available with SMIMO (superior MIMO), that quadruples the range even through lead, reaches space, can read your mother-in-laws thoughts, and is of course the first wifi that does not cause brain cancer. ;-P

Just kidding LOL.
What I want to know is for a University shared flat setting, does this router provide
-guest wifi account - separate from main wifi account,
-rate limiting setting or bandwidth management setting on a per user basis or per IP or IP grouping and for guest wifi if there is such a thing,
- scheduling of rate limiting or bandwidth management such that at certain times restrictions are lifted.
- any other fantabulous features ??

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

2 edits

antdude to mozerd

Premium Member

to mozerd

Re: Netgear Router R6300 wins!

said by mozerd:

said by antdude:

5 Ghz N MIMO Clients are far better than 5 Ghz "a" Clients due to and assuming matching MIMO technology which is unique to "N" and "AC" .... so if your 5 Ghz wireless clients operate as N MIMO clients your range should be far greater assuming the same MIMO technology is being used for the Transmit side of the equation and the Receive side of the equation.

IF on the other hand Your 5 Ghz wireless clients are operating in "a" mode or there is a MISMATCH in the MIMO side then range will be an issue.

For superior performance especially when using N/AC type gear the technology must match because not all MIMO is equal.

The last point --- do not confuse 801.11AC with 801.11a ....

801.11a does not utilize MIMO
802.11N does utilize MIMO but not multi-User MIMO.
801.11AC does utilize MIMO but a much more advanced form called MULTI-USER MIMO.

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT 802.11AC

Ah OK, I am surprised the four years old MacBook Pro was able to connect to the router's 5 Ghz AP if it is incompatible with its old internal wifi device! So, if the client side's wifi had a match for 5 GHz, would its far range and connection be better/improved? I find it interesting that its internal hardware parts doesn't have any antenna(s/e) as shown in »uk.hardware.info/reviews ··· terboard ... How can it do so better than my old Linksys WRT54GL wireless router?

Does anyone know how to allow incoming pings on this router? I want to be able to ping the cable modem's IP address from outside with this router.

mozerd
MVM
Nepean, ON

1 recommendation

mozerd

MVM

said by antdude:

Ah OK, I am surprised the four years old MacBook Pro was able to connect to the router's 5 Ghz AP if it is incompatible with its old internal wifi device! So, if the client side's wifi had a match for 5 GHz, would its far range and connection be better/improved?

I find it interesting that its internal hardware parts doesn't have any antenna(s/e) as shown in »uk.hardware.info/reviews ··· terboard ... How can it do so better than my old Linksys WRT54GL wireless router?

Does anyone know how to allow incoming pings on this router? I want to be able to ping the cable modem's IP address from outside with this router.

The R6300 communicates at "a" independently from "N" etc. I have no idea which technology the 4 yr old Mac Book Pro uses but the R6300 is backward compatible so "g" "a" are avaialble and I suspect that its "g" that's being utilized. The New Mac Book Pro uses "N" and they are about to release their "AC" stuff this fall on the Mac Book Pro as well as all their other wireless products. As I stated earlier "N" provides the better range regardless whether its 2.4 or 5 based on "matching" MIMO systems on the transmit side AND the Receive side.

Under MIMO antennas and how they are exploited are vastly different that how antennas are or where exploited under OLD technology like the WRT54GL etc.

To ping the R6300 from the Internet you need to find out the IP address assigned by the ISP to the MAC address of the R6300 or to the Account Holders account assuming the ISP modem being used is not a gateway.
mozerd

mozerd to Anav

MVM

to Anav

said by Anav:

What I want to know is for a University shared flat setting, does this router provide
-guest wifi account - separate from main wifi account,
-rate limiting setting or bandwidth management setting on a per user basis or per IP or IP grouping and for guest wifi if there is such a thing,
- scheduling of rate limiting or bandwidth management such that at certain times restrictions are lifted.
- any other fantabulous features ??

To answer you questions contact Netgear support and click on the email link

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude to mozerd

Premium Member

to mozerd

Re: Netgear Router R6300 wins!

The R6300 communicates at "a" independently from "N" etc. I have no idea which technology the 4 yr old Mac Book Pro uses but the R6300 is backward compatible so "g" "a" are avaialble and I suspect that its "g" that's being utilized. The New Mac Book Pro uses "N" and they are about to release their "AC" stuff this fall on the Mac Book Pro as well as all their other wireless products. As I stated earlier "N" provides the better range regardless whether its 2.4 or 5 based on "matching" MIMO systems on the transmit side AND the Receive side.

Under MIMO antennas and how they are exploited are vastly different that how antennas are or where exploited under OLD technology like the WRT54GL etc.

To ping the R6300 from the Internet you need to find out the IP address assigned by the ISP to the MAC address of the R6300 or to the Account Holders account assuming the ISP modem being used is not a gateway.

Ah. Old MacBook Pro supported up to G for sure.

FYI, it is an Arris TM502G modem (digital phone and Internet). It's just a modem. No security stuff like a router. I recalled having to tell older/previous routers (Netgear RT311, Linksys BEFSX41 v1, and Linksys WRT54GL) to allow incoming ICMP pings. I am assuming the same for this new Netgear R6300 router.

mozerd
MVM
Nepean, ON

mozerd to Anav

MVM

to Anav

said by Anav:

How, probably by having a 100 meg pipe up and down and torrenting a gazillion files LOL. I have no idea.

Powerful Online Multitasking with 300,000 Data Sessions

300,000 data sessions means the RT-AC66U has around 20 times the networking capacity of conventional routers for exceptionally smooth performance.

tipstir
join:2004-11-14
Boca Raton, FL

tipstir to antdude

to antdude
Might be a lot of hot air from that router since most data connections max 30,000 per WAN port. Most that claim more have more than 1x WAN port. Those with 4x suppose to be able to do 120,000. 300,000 figure almost seem to be quoted by this company. Has anyone tested their BT to see how fast it can handle all these multi-peer connections.