spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mnsteveo

@comcast.net

[Business] Business Class Modems

What modems can be activated on comcast business class?

Right now I have a SMC 8014 in bridge mode as my wifi router with gigabit ports handles the routing. I currently do not have a static IP, might want one in the future but my DHCP IP rarely ever changes. I am on 12/2 starter plan.

Is the SMC D3G-CCR much better than the SMC 8014?

Would a Motorola 6121 or the popular Zoom modem work?

Just keep the 8014?

Thanks!

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

The 8014 is a D2 modem. The D3G is D3 and can bond channels for more consistent speeds.

Trying to use your own modem with a business account can be tricky from what I've read. You may still be forced to pay the monthly fee for rental, even then.

mnsteveo

@comcast.net

Would the performance increase from channel bonding on DOCSIS3 with 12/2 service really be noticeable for home office use?

Can the D3G be put into bridge mode?

Comcast told me I can get the D3G by upgrading to 22/5 service or by paying a $49 truck roll fee.

Thanks

keason
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Ann Arbor, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast Business..

1 edit
reply to mnsteveo

Why not just buy a Motorola SB6121 Docsis 3 modem at Costco/Amazon/etc for $75 and save the $7/mo rental fee? It delivers a public IP through DHCP by default. You can use your own router/firewall without double NAT and get higher performance.

Comcast will charge you $0 to switch to your own modem and will drop the rental fee when you return the old one.

Business class modem selection is very limited SB6120, SB6121 and the SMC modems you mentioned: (see link below)

»mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

msteveo

@comcast.net

Keason,

I had thought about that but I read online (and a Comcast tech told me this as well) that the Motorola 6121 runs hot and has been known to die before 1 year. My work pays the rental fee so it doesn't really matter to me, yes they would buy me a 6121 as well. I just want something fast and reliable.

Thanks!

biomesh
Premium
join:2006-07-08
Tomball, TX

I would go with the sb6121 over any smc and use those savings and try to upgrade to 22/5.

keason
Premium
Ann Arbor, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast Business..

2 edits
reply to mnsteveo

I think the tech is exaggerating about the moto failure rates. Comcast won't put the SMC's in bridge mode, at least not the D3 versions. The big advantage of using comcast's modem is that they take care of problems. The downside is the NAT without a static IP.

You could also upgrade to 22/5, let them come out and give you an new modem, then drop down to the lesser speed. You aren't obligated under contract to keep any particular speed, just service.

I'd check with your employer and see what they will cover. The faster upload on 22/5 makes a big difference on a VPN.

mnsteveo

@comcast.net

I think I still have to pay for a "truck roll" fee to upgrade to 22/5 plan.

I thought the d3g could be bridged remotely via comcast so I can route via my ASUS wifi / gigabit ports?

I am going to try to get my employer to pay for 22/5, but not sure they will.

biomesh
Premium
join:2006-07-08
Tomball, TX

You should not have to pay any fees to upgrade. If your signal levels are out of spec (even slightly) just call in with connectivity issues and point to the signal levels. They should send a tech to fix any signal issues and while he is there have the tech update the modem (this worked for me and was painless)

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
San Jose, CA
reply to mnsteveo

the SMC D3G is much more reliable due to channel bonding. On business class the only "supported" bridge mode is with static IPs.

If you are on dynamic, I'd go with a SB6121.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

keason
Premium
Ann Arbor, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast Business..
reply to mnsteveo

I had to get static IP's for a public IP address before the SB6120/21 option became available, which wasn't so bad before they started charging $7 for rental. Perhaps your employer will spring for a static IP , it is better from a security perspective and your issues will be solved with no hassles.

Unclepaul

@comcast.net
reply to keason

You can bridge the d3 or an 8014 but it's not easy to do. You have to call in and insist that they telnet into it and force a true bridge. Trust me when I say this is not easily done and you'll likely have to play agent roulette until you find someone who not only knows how to do it, but is willing. They are instructed to not ever do it, although personally, I will if a person insists.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:9

Try the techs at this number during regular weekday business hours;

1-800-363-2416

cooperaaaron

join:2004-04-10
Joliet, IL
reply to msteveo

My 6122 has been running for at least 2 years with no issues.