MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya to mackey

MVM

to mackey

Re: VZW Home Phone Connect

Depends on where you are at and who your LSP is. AT&T tried to keep RT's ready for 8 hours standby, though realistically most were at 6 +/- hours. After that, the generators would roll. I spent many nights shuffling power units around. I could do double duty because I had a special truck that could power most RT's as well.

From what I understand, the J1C182BA controllers were all replaced for an overcharging issue, and the new units require a much longer charge cycle which makes it extremely difficult to keep up given the high number of RTs and low numbers of generators and qualified technicians.

CEVs and anything with active cooling or pumps is a whole different story. Those have to be rode on almost immediately and babysat through the entirety.

In a widespread outage such as severe storms or hurricanes, you might as well forget about it.
49528867 (banned)
join:2010-04-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

49528867 (banned)

said by nunya:

In a widespread outage such as severe storms or hurricanes, you might as well forget about it.

You have been out of the loop too long, in urban areas most RT's now have gensets sited and do not require the connection of external generators to remain in service.

Wayne

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by 49528867:

said by nunya:

You have been out of the loop too long, in urban areas most RT's now have gensets sited and do not require the connection of external generators to remain in service.

Wayne

Everyone does not live in an "Urban Area".
49528867 (banned)
Fort Lauderdale, FL

49528867 (banned)

said by Jack_in_VA:

Everyone does not live in an "Urban Area".

For them they have access to literally thousands of generators.

Within days after Wilma Bell South had over 1200 deployed in SFL and if I remember correctly the only RT's that didn't have one where the RT’s destroyed in the storm.

Wayne

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

That's fine Wayne but what Bell South did and what other companies did could be completely different. It might be different for you next time depending on the severity of the damage.

Verizon tried but the thieves were also there. Result is no land line.
49528867 (banned)
Fort Lauderdale, FL

49528867 (banned)

said by Jack_in_VA:

It might be different for you next time depending on the severity of the damage.

I am sure it will be, with the already sited generators in place, the time to deploying to outlying areas will be considerably reduced.

It's too bad VZ doesn’t know how to properly fix a generator to a site, it's not like VZ areas have a monopoly on thieves we got lots of them down here too.

Wayne

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

What really gets me though is that in the past, keeping the phone system operational during times of disaster was mandated. That is to the best of their abilities given damage to infrastructure.

Now days with Verizon and FIOS, they have been released of providing that redundancy for the end user to have phone during a disaster. All the responsibility falls back on the customer to find a way to keep the ONT powered when power is out. In my opinion, we have taken a giant step backwards in the landline industry when FTTH came into play.
49528867 (banned)
Fort Lauderdale, FL

49528867 (banned)

said by ropeguru:

What really gets me though is that in the past, keeping the phone system operational during times of disaster was mandated. That is to the best of their abilities given damage to infrastructure.

Wireless has taken that one.

Now days with Verizon and FIOS, they have been released of providing that redundancy for the end user to have phone during a disaster. All the responsibility falls back on the customer to find a way to keep the ONT powered when power is out. In my opinion, we have taken a giant step backwards in the landline industry when FTTH came into play.

This has been the subject of many articles in the Telecomm rags, telco’s know the ongoing problems with copper and power and want to get away from it as much as possible leaving them with two choices load the ONT’s with a backup battery and eat the every four or five year cost of a truck roll and a new battery if it didn’t screw up the ONT or dump that responsibility off to the end user.

VZ took the later route.

Wayne

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

Verizon here does not care about the land line business. They have reduced the work force to almost nothing and is in constant battle with the State Corporation Commission on their poor service. The land line workforce is union (CWA).

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to 49528867

Premium Member

to 49528867
Problem is, if you look at the agreements, the onus is on the customer for battery purchase and replacement. If the customer wants Verizon to replace it, then it is an additional charge.

So just another way for Verizon to profit and leave the customer out in the cold.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to 49528867

to 49528867
said by 49528867:

said by nunya:

Wayne

In your dream companies' area. Except for maybe some bigger stuff do not think Qwest/Centurylink area does that.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya

MVM

AT&T doesn't do that around here. That's for sure. I've never seen them institute a standby generator except at C.O.'s, data centers, and cell sites. They did do it for 1 CEV that fed a hospital, because it has a "water issue". There are 3 sump pumps in this 1 CEV. Piss poor location.
Most of the generators at cell sites don't even belong to the carriers, they belong to the tower owner.

herdfan
Premium Member
join:2003-01-25
Hurricane, WV

herdfan to Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

Frontier (Verizon successor here) had multiple gens stolen during the recovery from the June Derecho. People wanted them to power their own stuff and they were just sitting there beside the roads.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by herdfan:

said by Jack_in_VA:

Frontier (Verizon successor here) had multiple gens stolen during the recovery from the June Derecho. People wanted them to power their own stuff and they were just sitting there beside the roads.

That's what happened here the 17 days after hurricane Isabel and Irene. Verizon put chains on them but the thieves cut them.
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88 to 49528867

to 49528867
said by 49528867:

said by nunya:

Wayne

Unheard of in the northeast. I know some cable systems somewhere in the USA have all their span power supplies having generators in them, someone has to buy these »www.alpha.com/Products/C ··· erators/ . I think I read in some states PUC/PSCes required cablecos to sign up as ILECs to offer phone service, and the law mandated 24/7 uptime/backup power. Comcast Digital Phone (not Voice) and RCN were/are line powered phone service.
patcat88

patcat88 to ropeguru

to ropeguru
said by ropeguru:

Atleast with FIOS if you can keep your power on, you will continue to get service. With Uverse/Copper, RT is lucky to get six hours (if the batteries didn't boil out or were stolen for deposit or to use in a car years ago) and its over.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to patcat88

Premium Member

to patcat88
said by patcat88:

Unheard of in the northeast. I know some cable systems somewhere in the USA have all their span power supplies having generators in them, someone has to buy these »www.alpha.com/Products/C ··· erators/ . I think I read in some states PUC/PSCes required cablecos to sign up as ILECs to offer phone service, and the law mandated 24/7 uptime/backup power. Comcast Digital Phone (not Voice) and RCN were/are line powered phone service.

Also unheard of in the more rural areas of the country. Maybe the densely populated areas have this luxury but I'd guess 75 or more percent of the country doesn't have back up power. My Verizon wireless has a big cat gen-set so my cell phones and Vz Home Connect work ok if I can keep my generator on.
49528867 (banned)
Fort Lauderdale, FL

49528867 (banned) to patcat88

to patcat88
said by patcat88:

Comcast Digital Phone (not Voice) and RCN were/are line powered phone service.

Comcast had a rather unique way to deploy generators. A contractor and a B&S generator only problem was they had to shut down at night due to all the noise it made.

Maybe they should have knocked on the neighbors door and see if they could stretch out a cord and "borrow" a few watts as I am sure the neighbor had plenty of standby power.

Wayne