how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Nonstick

@wideopenwest.com

uogrades to ultra tv

»www.engadget.com/2012/05/21/arri···-and-ip/

is this an update we will be recieving? could be the kick in the right direction that ultra tv needs

dfs

@wideopenwest.com
They need to fix the firmware they have now. I keep having trouble with the grid guide not always showing everything. I need a tv guide to see whats on.

stet
Volitar Prime

join:2002-03-08
Utica, MI
reply to Nonstick
A web browser would not be a big deal for me. I can already use on on my TV through my Wii or Xbox but the experience is not that great due to limitations from the interfaces and lack of plug-ins.

I also don't care about an iPad app unless they also intend to make an Android counterpart.

I would love the ability to stream content from the DVR to a PC, phone, or tablet.
--

Body Count

join:2010-09-11
Columbus, OH
reply to Nonstick
I agree they need to fix what they have now.

Friend came over for the weekend from Michigan. He has Comcast with roughly the same type of system UltraTV is.

He was using my TV and was wondering why I haven't called in to get it fixed. The grid spontaneously went blank, the delay was noticable, he was just amazed.

He was more amazed how WOW got top ratings in Consumer Reports with all the flaws in UltraTV when Comcast ranked at the lower end of the list and has none of those flaws.

adam1991

join:2012-06-16
Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
said by Body Count:

I agree they need to fix what they have now.

Friend came over for the weekend from Michigan. He has Comcast with roughly the same type of system UltraTV is.

He was using my TV and was wondering why I haven't called in to get it fixed. The grid spontaneously went blank, the delay was noticable, he was just amazed.

He was more amazed how WOW got top ratings in Consumer Reports with all the flaws in UltraTV when Comcast ranked at the lower end of the list and has none of those flaws.

Because the experience is much, much more than the box--and we all know how Comcast treats their customers.

Their box could spit out gold doubloons, and that still wouldn't make up for how badly Comcast runs their business and treats their customers.

I'm sure people say the same thing about how Best Buy is great because it's close and happens to have the stuff they want, but you can't make me walk in there and hand them a dime.

stet
Volitar Prime

join:2002-03-08
Utica, MI
reply to Body Count
said by Body Count:

I live in Michigan and have looked at what Comcast offers here and haven't found anything like Ultra TV. The closest thing I could find was a 2 tuner DVR with the ability to access the recorded content remotely from boxes on other TVs, but those boxes don't have DVR functions when watching live TV (and can't manage the DVR either). To me this is nothing like a 6 tuner whole house DVR like what I have with Ultra TV. I'm curious, what system does your friend have?
--

WOW_Dan
Premium
join:2011-03-24
Naperville, IL
kudos:35
reply to Nonstick
This 2.0 upgrade will be coming, but we haven't begun testing it yet. Also, it's possible that not all features will be live with our service, so I can't say whether or not you will see some of the features available right away.

NuclearXP

join:2012-04-12
Trenton, MI
reply to Nonstick
Good find, but as previous members have stated I would much rather they make the features already available function as expected before cramming more features in.

Also don't expect this to come any time soon, if this year if I had to guess. Based on how slow they are still testing existing releases and how bad the gateways function from the initial release, it could be awhile.

qbwaggle

join:2012-05-31
Troy, MI
reply to Nonstick
There is another minor update that Arris has released for the current generation of software (i.e. not the 2.0 update) that has yet to make its way to WOW! customers. Shaw cable (in Canada) also uses the Arris WHDVR system and recently received this minor update. Allegedly, one of the fixes in this minor update is an improved grid guide. But I have no idea if/when WOW! plans to rollout this minor update.

WOW_Dan
Premium
Naperville, IL
reply to NuclearXP
said by NuclearXP:

Good find, but as previous members have stated I would much rather they make the features already available function as expected before cramming more features in.

Bug fixes from the current version are mainly going to be addressed by upgrading to the new software. All the fixes they get for issues we are having they build into the next software release for us. This upgrade will bring new features as well as bug fixes.
--
Dan Della Terza
WOW! Internet, Cable & Phone
Network Operations Center

NuclearXP

join:2012-04-12
Trenton, MI
Thanks Dan, but to be honest I work in IT too, and if ever implemented any hardware/firmware that worked liked the WOW/Arris Ultra TV combo I would be unemployed. Rolling out a product where core functionality (the grid guide, basic routing settings, wireless strength) don't work to as many consumers as WOW did is pathetic. If there were a better whole home DVR option from Comcast I'd switch immediately.

With that said, hopefully WOW will fire the original QA engineers, replace them, and fix the product and get a damn update to its customers before the sour taste of bad quality and poor implementation tarnished your good-for-now reputation.

Body Count

Columbus, OH
reply to Nonstick
I work in I.T. as a technician as well.

If I deployed something and it barely worked.. and then told the person it has known issues that might get fixed in the next update which I can't tell you when... and to pay me anyways for deploying it..

I'd have no job really fast.

Big Jimmy

@wideopenwest.com
reply to NuclearXP
Yeah, same here on both counts (I.T. and the product). I do sympathize, since there's a lot of testing for a product like this, and it was really important to roll it out ASAP to be able to compete with the U-Verse/Dish whole-home DVR, and one-up Comcast for once, but I don't think it's ready for prime-time in it's current form. I don't doubt that it will get better, since the framework is all there, but the software needs a kick in the rear in a lot of ways.

My biggest two complaints (after only casual use) are that the interface is too slow, and navigation is unpredictable at best. Sometimes you hit the menu button to go back, sometimes you hit the left arrow to go back, sometimes you hit the back button to go back. No page up/down button is weird, and even though it's beautiful, it's unusual having the numbers decrease as you go up (it makes more sense logically, but it's backwards to every other system I've used).

Then again, if we're I.T. guys here and we want to talk about flops, we could talk about Symantec's Altiris product.. but this isn't anywhere NEAR that level of consumer dissatisfaction!

mogamer

join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI
reply to WOW_Dan
said by WOW_Dan:

This 2.0 upgrade will be coming, but we haven't begun testing it yet. Also, it's possible that not all features will be live with our service, so I can't say whether or not you will see some of the features available right away.

i.e "You can forget about any internet video services being available."

pargoff

join:2006-07-05
Canton, MI
reply to Nonstick
in my opinion, the ultra TV as released was a late BETA at best. The menus are slow to respond and navigation is VERY choppy. The media players lose connectivity at least once a day to the gateway. And I'm paying more for this? Why can't there be a monthly fix roll-out? Instead there is at least a 6 month cycle for fixes? If the old system wasn't such a dumpster fire, I would downgrade.

Body Count

Columbus, OH
said by pargoff:

in my opinion, the ultra TV as released was a late BETA at best. The menus are slow to respond and navigation is VERY choppy. The media players lose connectivity at least once a day to the gateway. And I'm paying more for this? Why can't there be a monthly fix roll-out? Instead there is at least a 6 month cycle for fixes? If the old system wasn't such a dumpster fire, I would downgrade.

You're paying more for it? I'm paying exactly the same price as the old system. They gave me new customer prices for one year and told me after the year is up to call back and they will do it again.

alan92rttt

join:2012-02-27
reply to Nonstick
I'm paying about $10 per month less.

I have had no player to gateway connection issues.

Is it perfect no. The UI is slow and the remote is titchy.

But it does what its supposed to. It records the shows. The old SA box would randomly just skip shows. You can search for shows across the guide and on-demand. Being able to play on either TV is huge for me. Can pad shows at the start / end(great for sports).

Yea, it has issue Aaris needs to do some work. WOW and the other cable companies do need to get after them about them. But I would never switch back to the old SA boxes.

pargoff

join:2006-07-05
Canton, MI
reply to Body Count
yes i'm paying more for it. the discounts i had before were not carried over to the ultra tv

timf

join:2012-01-09
Plymouth, MI
reply to NuclearXP
said by NuclearXP:

Rolling out a product where core functionality (the grid guide, basic routing settings, wireless strength) don't work to as many consumers as WOW did is pathetic. If there were a better whole home DVR option from Comcast I'd switch immediately.

I'm thankful WOW released SOMETHING new, as opposed to Comcast which has not made any significant upgrades to their user interface in years and offers only an overpriced underfeatured multi-room product. At the rate they are going, it will be at least another 2 years before any of their newer technology makes it to the Detroit market. By then, I would expect all the kinks will be worked out of UltraTV and new features will be available. I don't think Comcast even considers WOW a serious competitor - all their advertising is always directed towards Satellite and U-Verse users.

WOW_Dan
Premium
Naperville, IL
reply to Big Jimmy
said by Big Jimmy :

No page up/down button is weird

The channel up/down buttons double as page up/down buttons when in menus.

Nonstick

@wideopenwest.com
any timeframe on this update?

WOW_Dan
Premium
Naperville, IL
said by Nonstick :

any timeframe on this update?

Not at this time.