Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian to Graystoke

Premium Member

to Graystoke

Re: BullGuard And Eicar.org

said by Graystoke:

@norwegian.......I got that same message also.

That is the alert from Windows with my A/V turned off. As mentioned above to Mele20 See Profile, my A/V detects it fine. I wonder why BullGuard isn't alerting to it then?

Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

1 edit

Name Game

Premium Member

Because EICAR.com is a DOS program and unable to run on Windows 7 so why would you expect an AV to Id it ? Also would happen if you downloaded the zip..which is OK..but then tried to open it...and that would not only be for win7 64 but also 32. If you really want to run it..read the link I posted and make those changes to your win7.

The caution would be

" Note: you cannot run XP Mode on Windows 7Home editions. If you are using Windows 7 Home Premium, you would need to use Virtual Box, DosBox or any other 3rd party virtualization program that works with Home Premium. Please visit forums dedicated to these programs for more information."

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

Ah, so Graystoke See Profile is running the program and nothing is detected because it isn't valid.

I get alerts a long time before that. Running the file would need me to turn off a lot of settings. All good.
norwegian

norwegian to Name Game

Premium Member

to Name Game
said by Name Game:

" Note: you cannot run XP Mode on Windows 7Home editions. If you are using Windows 7 Home Premium, you would need to use Virtual Box, DosBox or any other 3rd party virtualization program that works with Home Premium. Please visit forums dedicated to these programs for more information."

On this point, even on Win 7 x64 Ultimate, on right clicking the file, there is no option for XP mode or any other compatibility mode though either, even in properties. I thought that was allowable via the context menu in the upper versions of Win 7?

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game

Premium Member

Then try this since Eicar is an MS-dos program

Most existing 16-bit and MS-DOS-based programs were originally written for Windows 3.0 or Windows 3.1. Windows 7 runs these older programs using a virtual machine that mimics the 386-enhanced mode used by Windows 3.0 and Windows 3.1. Unlike on other recent releases of Windows, on Windows 7 each 16-bit and MS-DOS-based application runs as a thread within a single virtual machine. This means that if you run multiple 16-bit and MS-DOS-based applications, they all share a common memory space. Unfortunately, if one of these applications hangs or crashes, it usually means the others will as well.

You can help prevent one 16-bit or MS-DOS-based application from causing others to hang or crash by running it in a separate memory space. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Right-click the program’s shortcut icon and then click Properties. (If the program doesn’t have a shortcut, create one, and then open the shortcut’s Properties dialog box.)
2. On the Shortcut tab, click the Advanced button. This displays the Advanced Properties dialog box.
3. Select the Run In Separate Memory Space check box.
4. Click OK twice to close all open dialog boxes and save the changes.

NOTE: Running a program in a separate memory space uses additional memory. However, you’ll usually find that the program is more responsive. Another added benefit is that you are able to run multiple instances of the program—as long as all the instances are running in separate memory spaces.

»technet.microsoft.com/en ··· 590.aspx
Name Game

Name Game to norwegian

Premium Member

to norwegian
said by norwegian:

Ah, so Graystoke See Profile is running the program and nothing is detected because it isn't valid.

I get alerts a long time before that. Running the file would need me to turn off a lot of settings. All good.

No he is not running it. just like you he can't.

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

Ok, you win the round, my shout.

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game