spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Downloader

@direcway.com

So... No More Download Zone?

Is Gen 4 really doing away with the Download Zone? Can someone please explain these caps to me? Hughesnet is really confusing me and probably a lot of other customers.

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

If you buy the base 20GB plan, you get 10GB to use ANYTIME, and you get 10GB to use for the "bonus" zone between 2am-8am.

there is NO more unlimited download zone.

Expand your moderator at work

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY
reply to Downloader

Re: So... No More Download Zone?

Ricky hasn't been around very long, he's having a little trouble understanding what he's seeing. What you say however, is true based upon currrent Gen4 advertising. What's going on is simply a little corporate gamesmanship; Hughes tried to go one better than the initial Exede offering (no free zone), and put this Bonus Bytes feature in the Gen4 pipeline. Then ViaSat saw that sales were suffering because of no "free zone". So a few days ago they switched gears, and now offer an 0200-0800 unlimited download window. This caught Hughes with their nickers down. Watch for the ill-advised Gen4 Bonus Bytes to revert to the familiar old unlimited zone in the very near future.

//greg//
--
HN7000S - 98cm Prodelin/2w "pure" Osiris - ProPlus - G16/1001H - NOC:GTN - NAT 67.142.115.130 - Gateway 66.82.25.10 - DNS 66.82.4.12 and 66.82.4.8 - Firefox 15/MSIE9 - AV/Firewalled by NIS2012

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA

said by grohgreg:

Ricky hasn't been around very long, he's having a little trouble understanding what he's seeing. What you say however, is true based upon currrent Gen4 advertising. What's going on is simply a little corporate gamesmanship; Hughes tried to go one better than the initial Exede offering (no free zone), and put this Bonus Bytes feature in the Gen4 pipeline. Then ViaSat saw that sales were suffering because of no "free zone". So a few days ago they switched gears, and now offer an 0200-0800 unlimited download window. This caught Hughes with their nickers down. Watch for the ill-advised Gen4 Bonus Bytes to revert to the familiar old unlimited zone in the very near future.

//greg//

Actually, I wonder if they knew Exede was planning to offer the free zone and did this on purpose. If you think about it, Hughes claims the top 1.x% of people use the majority of the capacity used during the free zone. That top ~1% is more or less unprofitable to Hughes when you consider the fact that they could add several "normal" users for each member of the top 1%. Perhaps this is their plan. Have the top 1% deflect to Viasat, then once they are gone Hughes could offer unlimited and not have those heavy users on their network. Many of those top 1% are already threatening to leave Hughes before Gen4 is even available to them. Give them a few months and the majority of that top 1% will be slowing down Exede. This scenario is unlikely, but it could be a major win for Hughes regardless. I think Hughes knows what they are doing.

Iowa Cowboy

join:2012-08-16
Monticello, IA

either way, HN new plans are very pathetic, especially for a satellite that claims to have capabilities over 100Gbps. Either the bandwidth is betting leased to some other "Government" entity. Or, and I have been thinking this lately, there is a problem with the new bird and nobody is saying anything

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

said by Iowa Cowboy:

either way, HN new plans are very pathetic, especially for a satellite that claims to have capabilities over 100Gbps. Either the bandwidth is betting leased to some other "Government" entity. Or, and I have been thinking this lately, there is a problem with the new bird and nobody is saying anything

Don't for a minute think that Hughes will be selling the whole 100 gigs to HughesNet consumer grade customers. Some goes to business/enterprise customers, some to government - even DishNetwork is reselling bandwidth from this satellite.

//greg//
--
HN7000S - 98cm Prodelin/2w "pure" Osiris - ProPlus - G16/1001H - NOC:GTN - NAT 67.142.115.130 - Gateway 66.82.25.10 - DNS 66.82.4.12 and 66.82.4.8 - Firefox 15/MSIE9 - AV/Firewalled by NIS2012

janedeaux

join:2012-02-15
Yazoo City, MS
reply to grohgreg

I completely agree that there probably will be changes in the 3 plans before they start selling the dishes. The complaints of no free zone are continuous on the HN customer web site, and the employees keep parroting the same BS over and over. They say thats what their customers want but no one has been polled. Have any of you?

tobicat
Premium
join:2005-04-18
Tombstone, AZ

My experience is that Hughes is very conservative in their plan changes. My guess is that once the customer base is up and running and they have time to evaluate the actual load on the satelite that they will begin to slowly give back more to customers.

My guess is that the bonus time will be changed maybe to free time.

Then you will probably see some sort of tokens for over usage.

and perhaps later some type of rollover.

But it ain't gonna happen next week.
--
7000S SatMex 5 1050, Dlink wirless

ricky_005

join:2012-01-17
united state
reply to compuguybna

I have unlimited download now, why are they going ta take it away?

Are they Greedy?

Hahaha

esayre
Premium
join:2003-08-09
Saint Paul, MN
reply to Downloader

Just switched to Exede because of this. Interestingly, when I called in to cancel my Hughes service the CSR told me that it hadn't gone away with Gen4.

I pulled up the Gen4 website and told him what it said - but he kept insisting that in all the meeting they have been having it's not only still there but it's now from 12-8AM Eastern.

It's too late for me but maybe others might want to call in and make sure.

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter

I think you got an earfull of b/s to keep you from cancelling.

Still there? No one is installed til Nov. how could it "still be there"?

I think the rep was a bit confused!

said by esayre:

Just switched to Exede because of this. Interestingly, when I called in to cancel my Hughes service the CSR told me that it hadn't gone away with Gen4.

I pulled up the Gen4 website and told him what it said - but he kept insisting that in all the meeting they have been having it's not only still there but it's now from 12-8AM Eastern.

It's too late for me but maybe others might want to call in and make sure.

Max Mouse

join:2010-02-28
reply to Downloader

I don't see the point in faster speed when we hardly don't have that much space to use it? This sounds like another greedy attempt to get more money out of us. We are already playing a outrageous price a month.. there are plently of over 10Gb games I was planning to downloading from Steam and Amazon when gen4 comes out ...but it looks like that wont be happening.

yolarry

join:2007-12-29
Creston, WV
reply to Downloader

Looks like they updated the page. download zone is there but limited?

gsgffhgfsrsv

@wildblue.net

said by yolarry:

Looks like they updated the page. download zone is there but limited?

Looks the same to me, except they removed the prices. That's what this thread is about, that it's now limited instead of unlimited.

They still say "With HughesNet Gen4 you get the largest Data Allowance of any satellite Internet service", which is not true. It's been weeks and they haven't corrected that false advertising.

C0RR0SIVE88

@direcway.com
reply to yolarry

The page only changed twice, once after the initial listing, and again here recently.

First time around they didn't list the two different caps ON the plan, cause much confusion.

Second time they fixed the confusion by listing the two different caps and times.

Third time they pulled the prices off of the plan page.