A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Kyawa

Re: Best Linksys wireless router suggestions for a big house?

said by Kyawa:

The 100 ft is probably diameter and that's pushing it. Just remember, as the distance between the PC and the access point increases, speed decreases. You can buy an access point or another router and configure it as an access point. Do you have the ability to run a cable between the existing router and other locations say via the basement?

Ah. Hmm, not really. We were hoping to do wireless only. That will be difficult. Let's try a wireless router first and see how it goes. FYI, no basement.

Kyawa
Premium
join:2006-01-26
Middletown, MD
I was talking about running a cable to another location for a second access point. You can try a wireless bridge but your client probably won't be happy with the performance. There's really only one way to obtain good wifi coverage and unfortunately, that involves running cable.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
said by Kyawa:

I was talking about running a cable to another location for a second access point. You can try a wireless bridge but your client probably won't be happy with the performance. There's really only one way to obtain good wifi coverage and unfortunately, that involves running cable.

Ahhh. Hmm, yeah that will be tricky. I will keep that in mind.

Kyawa
Premium
Middletown, MD
No attic either?

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by Kyawa:

No attic either?

Yes, there is an attic. That is where the coax cables are to various rooms.

Kyawa
Premium
Middletown, MD
So run a CAT5 cable from the existing router to a more central location via the attic and connect an access point. Pretty easy solution.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

2 edits
said by Kyawa:

So run a CAT5 cable from the existing router to a more central location via the attic and connect an access point. Pretty easy solution.

So a router can stay in the room next to the cable modem, and then an AP in the attic?

Any suggestions on which router and APs? Is an old Linksys WRT54GL router enough (ignoring gigabit speed)?

Kyawa
Premium
Middletown, MD
You can use the WRT54GL as either the router or access point. Ideally, you could use a ceiling mount POE access point. The CAT5 cable would carry both the signal and power to the access point and then you could just mount it in the ceiling in a place most central. I really don't recommend putting a unit in the attic. It is a powered device and sometimes the A/C adapter gets hot and you don't want a fire up there. Let me think about a ceiling mount A/P that's easy to configure.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
said by Kyawa:

You can use the WRT54GL as either the router or access point. Ideally, you could use a ceiling mount POE access point. The CAT5 cable would carry both the signal and power to the access point and then you could just mount it in the ceiling in a place most central. I really don't recommend putting a unit in the attic. It is a powered device and sometimes the A/C adapter gets hot and you don't want a fire up there. Let me think about a ceiling mount A/P that's easy to configure.

OK, I am going to try an old Linksys WRT54GL and see how it is over there (finding dead spots, etc.).

Kyawa
Premium
Middletown, MD
If you're going to try to test it "live" you'll need to go into the setup on the 2nd device and set the IP address to something different than the one by the modem. You also need to set DHCP to DISABLE.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by Kyawa:

If you're going to try to test it "live" you'll need to go into the setup on the 2nd device and set the IP address to something different than the one by the modem. You also need to set DHCP to DISABLE.

Um, I am just connecting a Linksys WRT54GL router to the cable modem (power cycled too) and see if an old MacBook Pro can connect wirelessly to it in various areas of the house.

Kyawa
Premium
Middletown, MD
If you have an Android phone, there's a WiFi Analyzer app.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by Kyawa:

If you have an Android phone, there's a WiFi Analyzer app.

Thanks, but I don't. Actually, iPhone 4S can connect to it too.