mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd to antdude

MVM

to antdude

Re: Best Linksys wireless router suggestions for a big house?

If you plan is to cover the whole house wirelessly then I would suggest you follow my placement advice and get a Netgear R6300 router which should easily cover the entire area of Interest.

The Cathedral-Vaulted Ceilings would work to your advantage with the kind of wireless router I suggested --- again if placed properly.

I have 2 of the R6300 wireless router in service in Homes slightly bigger than yours [5500 sq ft and 7300 sq ft] with Cathedral-Vaulted Ceilings. My clients are very please with the coverage they are getting.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by mozerd:

If you plan is to cover the whole house wirelessly then I would suggest you follow my placement advice and get a Netgear R6300 router which should easily cover the entire area of Interest.

The Cathedral-Vaulted Ceilings would work to your advantage with the kind of wireless router I suggested --- again if placed properly.

I have 2 of the R6300 wireless router in service in Homes slightly bigger than yours [5500 sq ft and 7300 sq ft] with Cathedral-Vaulted Ceilings. My clients are very please with the coverage they are getting.

Can this model use third party firmwares? I hope this one can reach farther and better than a Linksys WRT54GL router.

mozerd
MVM
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

said by antdude:

Can this model use third party firmwares? I hope this one can reach farther and better than a Linksys WRT54GL router.

Not at present ... But I suspect that at some point it will. I do not endorse 3rd party firmware ... Far too many issues and in the N AC world far more complicated so stability is my primary concern.

The R6300 will cover your entire home IF placed properly. Your WRT54GL cannot in any way shapE or form compare to the R6300 .... If you read my post carefully I used one R6300 to cover a house 5500 sq ft and another R6300 to cover a house over 7000 sq ft ... More importantly my clients are delighted with the coverage and screaming performance.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

3 edits

antdude

Premium Member

said by mozerd:

said by antdude:

Not at present ... But I suspect that at some point it will. I do not endorse 3rd party firmware ... Far too many issues and in the N AC world far more complicated so stability is my primary concern.

The R6300 will cover your entire home IF placed properly. Your WRT54GL cannot in any way shapE or form compare to the R6300 .... If you read my post carefully I used one R6300 to cover a house 5500 sq ft and another R6300 to cover a house over 7000 sq ft ... More importantly my clients are delighted with the coverage and screaming performance.

OK, I think I am going to get a R6300 since it got high ratings and using those bridge extenders probably won't work well (losing speed). The only problem is that the house owners does not want any network cables in the house walls and stuff, so it can't move far in that room with the cable modem.

Also, I updated my »zimage.com/~ant/temp/88f ··· Room.jpg image to show wireless Linksys WRT54GL test results from yesterday's wireless tests.

Here are two previous owners' photographs/photos. of the downstair family/living/den room, with its bar, with the weak wireless feeds:
»i.imgur.com/auseC.jpg (facing the direction where wireless router is; note the kitchen on top left)
»i.imgur.com/Cxulk.jpg

mozerd
MVM
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

If you hired a professional they would be able to hide the wires so the the wireless router can be placed properly. If you cannot place the R6300 properly to get whole house coverage like I suggested earlier perhaps you should consider some other solution.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by mozerd:

If you hired a professional they would be able to hide the wires so the the wireless router can be placed properly. If you cannot place the R6300 properly to get whole house coverage like I suggested earlier perhaps you should consider some other solution.

The problem is that the picky old folks don't want the wires, cables, etc. added into the house.

mozerd
MVM
Nepean, ON

4 edits

1 recommendation

mozerd

MVM

The other solution you could consider is expensive and assumes that the house electrical system was put together properly.

With powerline 500 series your could have as many as 4 wireless systems installed to provide proper coverage. The powerline kit I recommend

One powerline would go in the room with the existing cable modem and router being used then you would place another powerline in the other room and attach an Access Point to it and in that way you cold get coverage where you need it. You would need to properly configure the router and access point(s). Do some research on powerline stuff.

Or You could try the R6300 in the current location [where your modem is situated] and see how well it performs in your environment. It may surprise you and me with powerline added you then could then very easily extend your network by adding another R6300 in client mode and really have a dynamic system in place

With POWERLINE networing you cannot use power strips -- you must have direct acces to the electrical outlet in each room of interest. If this house is in an area that is subject to a lot of electrical storms then I would discourage the use of powerline networking.

Kyawa
Premium Member
join:2006-01-26
Middletown, MD

Kyawa to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
Unless there is some other part of your job there for the homeowners that I'm missing, you've already lost money. Tell them you can put a "N" router in and they can hope for the best or they can agree to more cabling for the appropriate solution. This really not a call to be made by the homeowner. If they want connectivity in the whole house, here's how its done. If they don't agree, they get something less. Pretty simple.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude to mozerd

Premium Member

to mozerd
said by mozerd:

The other solution you could consider is expensive and assumes that the house electrical system was put together properly.

With powerline 500 series your could have as many as 4 wireless systems installed to provide proper coverage. The powerline kit I recommend

One powerline would go in the room with the existing cable modem and router being used then you would place another powerline in the other room and attach an Access Point to it and in that way you cold get coverage where you need it. You would need to properly configure the router and access point(s). Do some research on powerline stuff.

Or You could try the R6300 in the current location [where your modem is situated] and see how well it performs in your environment. It may surprise you and me with powerline added you then could then very easily extend your network by adding another R6300 in client mode and really have a dynamic system in place

With POWERLINE networing you cannot use power strips -- you must have direct acces to the electrical outlet in each room of interest. If this house is in an area that is subject to a lot of electrical storms then I would discourage the use of powerline networking.

No power strips? Drats. The problem is not enough power outlets already.