uniqs
share rss forum feed

justin9876

join:2006-04-21
Keller, TX
reply to bt06437

Re: [DVR] 7232 Slow, Unrepsonsive Until Warms Up or a Reboot

said by bt06437:

I was seeing this frequently. Then I altered the menu/settings/telev ision/Info Bar Time Out to 2 seconds. No longer saw the problem for a week or more.
I've just returned it to 10 seconds, to monitor.
Now this may be totally off in left field, I just wanted to share it.

You and I are in VHO 1. I think Verizon has been doing some under the covers updating of the software in the STBs and they screwed things up royally, and last week they did an update in at least the DFW part of VHO 1 that fixed, or mostly fixed, the problem.

I had the problem for several months, but some time between Sunday night 8/19 and Wednesday afternoon 8/22 the problem mostly disappeared for me (not sure exactly when, I was out of town). I no longer have any of the long delays and missed or queued up button presses, but my 7232 DVR is still somewhat slower than it was before 1.9.1. My 7100-P2 boxes have not been affected by this problem at all.
--
Justin
Verizon FiOS TV and Internet
Motorola QIP7232 HD DVR
Motorola QIP 7100-P2
Sony KDL-V40XBR1

matcarl
Premium
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY
reply to bt06437
It is totally out in left field. That would have nothing to do with what everyone is experiencing. No one can even access the menu or guide when this happens. I guess you just got lucky.

bt06437

join:2001-12-03
Carrollton, TX
reply to djoropallo
I was seeing this frequently. Then I altered the menu/settings/telev ision/Info Bar Time Out to 2 seconds. No longer saw the problem for a week or more.
I've just returned it to 10 seconds, to monitor.
Now this may be totally off in left field, I just wanted to share it.

Strommy

join:2010-04-23
King Of Prussia, PA
reply to djoropallo
Wow, glad I found this because I am having the exact same problems. I have 2 7232's and this has been driving me nuts. When the box has been idle for a while (i.e. I haven't been using it) the first time I try to change a channel or do anything it hangs for anywhere from 30 seconds to a few minutes. It has been driving me nuts!!! I am in VH08 as well.

KidHorn

@nih.gov
reply to KidHorn
I spoke too soon. The problem was the worst ever last night. It seemed like every time I pressed a button on the remote it took a minute or two to respond.

kennye

join:2009-02-05
Carrollton, TX
reply to djoropallo
I think it has been going on since upgrading to 1.9.1

KidHorn

@comcastbusiness.net
reply to nascar
Glad Verizon is looking at it.

I've had the same problem on all three of my STBs for several weeks. I had my router replaced. Did nothing. I didn't expect it to, but went from a G to an N for free.

Yesterday, I didn't run into any issues. Maybe Verizon already fixed the problem. I'm in VHO4.

nascar

join:2000-02-28
Verona, NJ
kudos:3
reply to djoropallo
Verizon is looking into this.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9
reply to flashcore
said by flashcore:

I am wondering if this has something to do with this »Verizon Router Multicasting To My Home Network If Verizon has moved a bunch of the STB data to a multicast stream

Makes sense, especially with Dave's hint it's being changed by VHO
said by nycdave :
No, once IMG Multicast is enabled in a VHO, all the STB's will use it, not just the DVR's.
Not in all VHOs yet is how I read that.

marhil0

join:2008-10-21
Exton, PA
reply to djoropallo
I'm also having the same problem with occasional slow response in VHO8. I had to manually reboot my 7232 on Friday night 8/24. Sometimes when changing the channel, DVR will go blank or sometimes takes 30-45 to respond to channel change. Also had a problem with VOD hanging on Saturday and had to unplug the 7232 to fix. These problems have been happening over the last 3-4 weeks or so. Thought maybe my 7232 was going bad but after reading the posts I'm not the only having these problems.

flashcore

join:2007-01-23
united state
reply to djoropallo
I am wondering if this has something to do with this »Verizon Router Multicasting To My Home Network If Verizon has moved a bunch of the STB data to a multicast stream (This has nothing to do with the video itself) it would make since that everyone would have this problem. Before the box would request updates and start receiving them immediately, if they are pushing multicast then the box has to wait for the stream to start over before it can use the data which could take anywhere from a few seconds to several minutes depending on where in the data stream the box is turned on at.

keyboards

join:2001-02-14
Doylestown, PA
reply to oldeguy
said by oldeguy:

Same here on a 7216 Box. Try the "Menu" options:
Customer Support/In home Agent/DVR/Auto Fix

I've tried it before and didn't process (because I don't have a Multi Room DVR, I assumed) but it "appears" to be better now after running this test (resets the box, etc.)

Been there, tried that and the T-Shirt only lasts a day or two
--
REMEMBER: Stupidity should be painful !!

jpeezy13

join:2008-08-27
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to djoropallo
Same here for me in Pittsburgh, VHO11. Started a few days ago. Very annoying.

oldeguy
Premium
join:2007-08-04
Phoenixville, PA
reply to djoropallo
Same here on a 7216 Box. Try the "Menu" options:
Customer Support/In home Agent/DVR/Auto Fix

I've tried it before and didn't process (because I don't have a Multi Room DVR, I assumed) but it "appears" to be better now after running this test (resets the box, etc.)

keyboards

join:2001-02-14
Doylestown, PA
reply to djoropallo
A similar thread over on the Verizon Forums:

»forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-TV-Te···p/471245
--
REMEMBER: Stupidity should be painful !!

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
kudos:2
reply to djoropallo
One of my three 7232s act that way, I'm in VHO9a. It's actually done it for months.

Sparky19053

join:2011-10-03
Feasterville Trevose, PA
reply to willie321
VHO3308 and slow is the word of the day here too.
You got to love VZ, raise the price and slow the service down.

willie321

join:2005-11-12
Fort Washington, PA
reply to djoropallo
It's "a feature" not a flaw. I have even received a replacement box. Begged for a newer box here in VHO8, but no joy. They give the excuse it's the guide updating etc. wow what a mess!

johnf2
VHO8
Premium
join:2001-12-31
Feasterville Trevose, PA
reply to djoropallo
Also seeing on startup slow response to changing channel numbers. Have (2) 7232s, seems worse on the one that is turned off at night. Am in VHO8.

johnf2
--
VHO8

Dirty_Harry

join:2007-08-07
Trenton, NJ
reply to djoropallo
Same problem here in VHO8. 7232. About two weeks now.

matcarl
Premium
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY
reply to flashcore
VHO5 here, noticed the same problem. It started about 2 weeks ago.

flashcore

join:2007-01-23
united state
reply to djoropallo
I am noticing the same thing in VHO4 (Maryland) so I don't think this is a localized issue.

jimbo248

join:2001-08-09
Plymouth Meeting, PA
reply to djoropallo
Yep, same here. First time it happened, I walked over to manually shut off the box. I pressed the button, the light went off, the picture went off but the info for the show was still on the set! I unplugged the box and let it reboot.

If there is I show I want to watch, I turn the box on five minutes before, choose the channel and wait. It eventially changes to the channel. This is really getting annoying.

ggma1126
GGMA1126
Premium
join:2008-08-30
Claymont, DE
reply to djoropallo
been seeing the same thing here vho8 - plug in the channel # and the box shows the new channel but takes a bit for channel to change - glad to hear I am not the only one that is seeing this

CeeZee

join:2007-04-11
Wynnewood, PA
reply to djoropallo
Yep, same here also in VHO8.

dosdoxies
Premium
join:2004-12-15
Wallingford, PA
reply to djoropallo
Likewise here in VH08 with a 7216 for the past week or so.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:32
reply to djoropallo
Yes. Have also been seeing this in VHO8 with a 7232-P2. The display will change in response to channel up command, but the channel does not change for a couple of minutes.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

djoropallo

join:2003-10-20
Maple Shade, NJ
Lately every time I turn on the 7232 and I try and change the channel within the first minute and the box just freezes for a minute or 2 and then changes the channel. Any other button pushed during this wait seems to cache and the function then follows in rapid fashion. If I hit the menu button, wait a minute and navigate to reboot it seems to go away a little quicker, but I cannot change channels, push any other buttons a few times until the box warms up. VOD is really slow during this time.

Anyone else have this going on or is this box specific. It started about 2 weeks ago, VHO8.